DTS: X is finally launched

Yeah, but we all know Betamax was better :lesson:

Well I am stumped. Have made sure that Oppo is outputting bitstream and tried various settings. Tested with Serenity DTS X and all I am getting is DTS X MA on the display of the Sony 1080. Nothing g at all from the height speakers. They are live as there is a low hiss from them but no sound. Atmos tracks work fine. :(

Well I am stumped. Have made sure that Oppo is outputting bitstream and tried various settings. Tested with Serenity DTS X and all I am getting is DTS X MA on the display of the Sony 1080. Nothing g at all from the height speakers. They are live as there is a low hiss from them but no sound. Atmos tracks work fine. :(

How do they perform while engaging the Neural:X upmixing mode in conjunction with audio not encoded as DTS:X?

Maybe it is just the DTS:X soundtrack you are playing that doesn't include many effects that would use the speakers?

Despicable Me 1.
The entire opening scene was so immersive I could feel it in my bones!

Dont get that, i have that bluray but it doesn't say it's DTS:X (only DTS-MA), is your copy UHD?

And for those still wondering if whether or not you are getting DTS:X if the receiver's display indicated DTS:X MA.

Yes, you are getting DTS:X and not the DTS-HD Master Audiocore audio:

img_0054-jpg.931645

img_0058-jpg.931646

img_0060-jpg.931647

It is a Yamaha receiver, but the same behaviour is true of all DTS:X capable AV receivers irrespective of make.

And for those still wondering if whether or not you are getting DTS:X if the receiver's display indicated DTS:X MA.

Yes, you are getting DTS:X and not the DTS-HD Master Audiocore audio:

img_0054-jpg.931645

img_0058-jpg.931646

img_0060-jpg.931647

It is a Yamaha receiver, but the same behaviour is true of all DTS:X capable AV receivers irrespective of make.
Seeing DTS:X MA dislayed on the front panel of my Denon always makes me feel all cozy and toasty inside :)

Is your house on fire?
There's just something about that little pop-up "Dolny Vision' sign on my TV and that DTS:X MA tag on my Denon that just put a BIG smile on my face. Hard to put it into words :)

I keep x2 bluray discs to test if i have been "fiddling" and need to check.

One is American Sniper with Dolby Atmos.

The other is The Huntsman Winters War with DTS X .

Make sure you press the A. F. D button on the Sony strdn 1080 amp, that will then decode the dts x or dolby atmos soundtrack, cheak the sound levels, depending on how high you have your two ceiling speakers and adjust accordingly.

"special"
That's a good way of putting it.
Despicable Me 1 and 2 are the only two titles with both DTS:X and Dolby Vision available. I can't wait for these two formats to be included in other titles that are not entirely CG animation type!

I keep x2 bluray discs to test if i have been "fiddling" and need to check.

One is American Sniper with Dolby Atmos.

The other is The Huntsman Winters War with DTS X .
American Sniper is very poor, hardly any overhead effects in the Atmos design. The only DTS:X title I own is Patriots' Day which has a really good immersive track.

I swear my 1080 is going out the window soon. Just cannot get DTS:X working out the overheads. And the more I fiddle with it the more the unresponsiveness off the receiver becomes apparent.

The only two movies I have to test are Serenity and Fate of the Furious. I have skipped through both movies in their entirety and not a single sound or effect is heard from the ceiling speakers. So apologies for sounding like a broken record but.....

1. The receiver shows DTS:X MA on the display so one can assume it is receiving the track OK from the Oppo.
2. The Oppo is outputting Bitstream with secondary audio set to off.
3. The receiver is set to A.F.D.
4. The setup plays Atmos tracks beautifully with a great range of overhead sounds and effects. So there is no hardware issue with the speakers or receiver.
5. The receiver is set to 5.1.2 (TM) as my setup has top middle speakers.

I am at a loss tbh and if anyone has any other magic settings I don't know please share. Thanks to Dante for his advice so far and photo confirmations of the DTS:X.

I don't have much hair but what little I have is being pulled out. I just cant seem to figure this out. Can people confirm that the DTS:X tracks with the two films above actually utilise the overheads? At this point I am thinking there can't be any height sounds to hear but I don't believe that with FOTF! :D

Also (as a side question) how do you get the audio details being played displayed on the Sony like Dante's images above? Or is it not possible on the 1080?

I'll get Serenity tomorrow (it's waiting for me already) And ill try as soon as I get home (if in the meanwhile nobody comes forward)

Receiver is a Denon 2300

I'll get Serenity tomorrow (it's waiting for me already) And ill try as soon as I get home (if in the meanwhile nobody comes forward)

Receiver is a Denon 2300
Serenity is in DTS X?

Receiver is a Denon 2300

I meant to post my message in the Sony 1080 thread but it applies here too. That would be great mate, thanks. Just need confirmation the overheads are not a blank slate (which I assume they are not)

Serenity is in DTS X?

Sure is.

I meant to post my message in the Sony 1080 thread but it applies here too. That would be great mate, thanks. Just need confirmation the overheads are not a blank slate (which I assume they are not)

And just tested it.

The upfiring speakers are playing, not very often though - I think the first time I heard them was when they where followed by the reavers for the 1st time, and like for 2 seconds.

Denon 2300 says DTS:X MA

Tested on the Xbox One S

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom