Dual Monitors setup. 75hz and 60hz both same monitor?

Kasen23

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 same monitors but the main monitor is outputting at 75hz connected using and HDMI. The 2nd monitor is connected at 60hz using a hdmi cable connected to a hdmi to display port adapter. Could this be the reason why I'm only getting 60hz on the 2nd monitor? Should I bypass the adapter and get a straight hdmi to display port cable?

The monitors are https://www.costco.ca/lg-32ml60tm-32-in.-fhd-ips-monitor-(1920-×-1080).product.100506571.html

The video card is MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER DirectX 12 RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC Video Card - Newegg.ca

Thanks

A cable is the same thing, assuming your current adapter is the more common passive kind and not an active one.

DisplayPort has a feature called dual mode that allows the computer to output an HDMI signal through the port and all the adapter has to do is a few simple tasks like request it and shift the voltage rather than doing real time translation of gigabits of data per second.

The latter are available under the name of active adapters for situations where dual mode isn't supported.

It's possible that your dual mode adapter is using the older dual mode 1.0 standard as that was limited to HDMI 1.2 bandwidth, which I seem to remember was the same as Single Link DVI and not enough for FHD@75hz.

That was superseded by Dual Mode v1.1 in 2013 so I'd suspect most of the passive adapters on the market today will support the newer version and give you sufficient bandwidth for the higher refresh rate.

Link1
Link2

(as pasted Amazon links on AVF aren't showing up properly for me at the moment).

The second one will work but it's an active adapter so it's overkill, the RTX 2070 is more than new enough to support the newer versions of dual mode so a newer passive adapter that claims support for higher resolutions will be fine.

I don't have any experience with active adapters so I don't know what they're like for delay and so on.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom