Question Dual sim phones for work/home

Piscauk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone use a dual sim with a work setup? I am sure I could get a work phone, but I'd rather not carry two phones, plus as a public sector worker I'd rather save a wee bit of taxpayer money.

Does dual sim allow you to have two separate networks? Do you have to nominate a number to make outbound call each time you go to call anyone? Any experience with how Bluetooth calls are handled (imagine it makes no difference)? Do phones display which number is actually being called?

Any experiences or thoughts welcomed.

I have tried it with a OnePlus in the past and it was a poor experience.
Basically everything was mixed together, texts, contacts, call log etc.
Ideally a dual sim phone would act as two separate phones but combined into one unit.
I do think things have improved since my experience.
Carl.

Ah, interesting Carl. Yeah, I'd want it all separate in terms of messages etc. What One Plus was that Carl?

OnePlus X so quite old and things have improved a great deal since. Some phones have the choice of operating as two different phones when you open with a different fingerprint. The Poco F1 did this and so do some others since. So clearly operating as two phones, but I think it disables one while using the other.
I am sure phone companies think dual sim is for one contract as home and the other for if you are roaming out of the country, nobody has mastered what I would essentially like it to do.
I do hope one day it happens.

Carl

I use dual SIM all the time 1 work number 1 personal , it's a painless experience you can set preferred SIM for data /calls or "ask every time ", same for outgoing texts . for received calls/ texts it will return the call/text on the same SIM , set different ring tones per SIM , can still use either SIM with Bluetooth

Yes you can have 2 different networks

Using a OnePlus 7pro , worked the same in oneplus 5

I use dual SIM all the time 1 work number 1 personal , it's a painless experience you can set preferred SIM for data /calls or "ask every time ", same for outgoing texts . for received calls/ texts it will return the call/text on the same SIM , set different ring tones per SIM , can still use either SIM with Bluetooth

Yes you can have 2 different networks

Using a OnePlus 7pro , worked the same in oneplus 5
Doesn't all messages, call logs and contacts all fall into one? You cannot keep them separate per SIM card/number?
Or have I gotten this mistaken?

Carl

Doesn't all messages, call logs and contacts all fall into one? You cannot keep them separate per SIM card/number?
Or have I gotten this mistaken?

Carl
Yeah you've only got one message app one phone app so they are listed together but you can tell them apart by the number 1 or 2 along side each call/conversation . Also forgot to say you can disable each SIM in settings so you don't get work calls on a weekend for example

I have two sims.. one for data only and one for calls and txts only.

You can choose which sim to call from.

I use an iPhone containing an e-sim on EE as my personal number and and overseas SIM card from Vodaphone for business. Both are on permanently and a diddle. to use.
Back in the day when we could travel was also ideal this way to have a local pay only sim for data that I could use in it.

I use an iPhone 11 Pro Max, EE esim and Sky physical sim. iOS works really well with both, for example you can assign contacts to only use a certain sim so you don’t get mixed up.

When you’re calling someone it’ll show you an icon to resemble which number you’re using.

Last edited:
Ah, xiaomi. Can never quite bring myself to try them, not a fan of heavy android skins
i prefer using mi ui. you can change the skin. if you dont like the style, size or layout of the icons and menus you csn customise it.. and you don't have to use all the extra features.

every phone has a skin.i dont know why you think Xiaomi has a 'heavy' skin as opposed to say another brand's android based skin.

you could go for a pure android using the default android skin

Last edited:
Oooh. That's a simple toggle as such in MIUI?

Used to flash ROMS and root all my phones, but these days banking apps are in daily use, so keeping phone simple and up to date security wise important for me. In fairness, I l haven't tired MIUI for a few years now, maybe it's been more westernised since?

Oooh. That's a simple toggle as such in MIUI?

Used to flash ROMS and root all my phones, but these days banking apps are in daily use, so keeping phone simple and up to date security wise important for me. In fairness, I l haven't tired MIUI for a few years now, maybe it's been more westernised since?
It's been globalised for the non Chinese market but there's also chinese ROM.

Does it really matter what shape or colour or layout of the icons and menus are. It doesnt bother me. Web sites still look exactly the same, videos looks exactly the same, I take pictures in exactly the same way regardless of the skin. Music sounds exactly the same regardless of skin. I log into emails and it looks exactly the same on every phone.

This forum looks exactly the same to me regardless of the 'skin'

Anyone use a dual sim with a work setup? I am sure I could get a work phone, but I'd rather not carry two phones, plus as a public sector worker I'd rather save a wee bit of taxpayer money.

Does dual sim allow you to have two separate networks? Do you have to nominate a number to make outbound call each time you go to call anyone? Any experience with how Bluetooth calls are handled (imagine it makes no difference)? Do phones display which number is actually being called?

Any experiences or thoughts welcomed.
yeah phone shows and asks about which sim you want to use for calling. You can efficiently use two sims, I am using one for my work and one for family and social contacts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom