DUNE (October 2021) directed by Denis Villeneuve

Not voting is the mind-killer. ...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought the cinematography of BLADE RUNNER 2049 was fantastic, as I expect DUNE will be.

No disrespect to Phillip K Dick whom I've loved reading since Secondary school, but DUNE is a far bigger project in its scope than Dick's short story.

I thought the cinematography of BLADE RUNNER 2049 was fantastic, as I expect DUNE will be.

No disrespect to Phillip K Dick whom I've loved reading since Secondary school, but DUNE is a far bigger project in its scope than Dick's short story.
I get you, but BR2049 was sooo far removed from Do Androids Dream... that it's not really a workable comparison. I mean, even the original Blade Runner is pretty far removed (not enough discussions about synthetic sheep...or is it goats? Must re-read).

It's a tightrope walk, though. As the book stands there are swathes of it (and swathes of expository lore) that just have no good translation to screen...or maybe they do and Villeneuve has found a super inventive way that makes it not massively confusing to a lay audience.

Either way, I'm along for the ride.

I get you, but BR2049 was sooo far removed from Do Androids Dream...

I totally agree with your comments however BR2049 wasn't a continuation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, it was a continuation of Blade Runner and I thought it did it brilliantly.

Who am I? What am I? Why am I here? Does only humanity have a soul? Do we? All of that combined with an action film. Which like Blade Runner is pretty damn impressive with the visuals to match.

In regard to Villeneuve's DUNE, I agree with many of the other comments on here.... It would have been far better as a 10 to 15 part TV series as opposed to a 2 part movie. I have to admit the trailer looks class. But will they get it all in?

how can someone comment on how dark a film is before the film is even out? Comparing individual scenes from tralier snippets doesn't really give any overall feel of the whole film.

In this instance especially I personally think we should try not to compare this film to the lynch version at all. Not easy but the film should eventually be compared to the source material and how those scenes were evoked upon reading

True we only have a trailer, but it's something to talk about isn't it. Also, isn't this the point of a trailer, to give you an idea of what the movie will look like aesthetically?

In terms of how I imagined Arrakis... piercing bright sunlight and unbearable heat during the day. However as previously mentioned there's not much action during the middle of the day as everyone stays in the shade and waits for the sun to go down

In regard to Villeneuve's DUNE, I agree with many of the other comments on here.... It would have been far better as a 10 to 15 part TV series as opposed to a 2 part movie. I have to admit the trailer looks class. But will they get it all in?
Totally agree with you, a high quality tv series is what’s needed for Dune, I’ve read the books, seen David Lynch’s film and I’m sure I’ll enjoy the new Dune film, but I’ve serious doubts it will make enough money for part two to be made.

Yep I've long considered Dune as being absolutely perfect for a TV run. Even if just as a one off mini-series. I mean Christ we're getting 4 hours of the bloody Justice League!

But sadly clearly no-one's ever thought about taking it on that way.

4986CD0D-BC4A-478C-95B7-2A4AD0569A49-11426-00000AB35E4CB34B.jpg

I note the cover says 'Cover 1 of 2 : House Atreides.

In promotion, I hope they don't give too much away. I'd rather go in blind. The Top Gun trailers have been done to death.

Been reading Jodorowsky's thoughts about the trailer. He has a point that everything is predictable; pretty much a re-enactment of scenes we've seen in the Lynch version.

But why wouldn't it be? It's a marketing trailer probably not cut together by Villeneuve himself, designed by the studio to generate anticipation for the broadest possible audience. They cant afford to be 'far out' in a trailer for such a risky project. They want people going "ooh Zendaya", "ooh a sandworm", and "ooh Jason Momoa looks badass".

I hope Denis has some bizarre and outlandish stuff in store for the movie, but if there is I doubt we'll see it in a trailer. As for Jodosourgrapes there's a reason his film didn't get made (as fascinating as the production story was).

Been reading Jodorowsky's thoughts about the trailer. He has a point that everything is predictable; pretty much a re-enactment of scenes we've seen in the Lynch version.

But why wouldn't it be? It's a marketing trailer probably not cut together by Villeneuve himself, designed by the studio to generate anticipation for the broadest possible audience. They cant afford to be 'far out' in a trailer for such a risky project. They want people going "ooh Zendaya", "ooh a sandworm", and "ooh Jason Momoa looks badass".

I hope Denis has some bizarre and outlandish stuff in store for the movie, but if there is I doubt we'll see it in a trailer. As for Jodosourgrapes there's a reason his film didn't get made (as fascinating as the production story was).

You are right; trailers are cut by MOR marketing people, for the purposes of MOR people watching who might buy tickets. Some of the action looked a little bit generic for me but with that director, I do expect it to be interesing - in the final film

1600792589523.jpeg

I know Dune was billed as Starwars for adults but if the Barron comes out looking like a fat Darth Vader it’s going to be ridiculed no end.

I hope it’s not true. Of all the designs they could of come up with did they really go with this one?

Well given the news today I'll be amazed if this gets released now in November. Fingers crossed the studios don't get cold feet in the UK and continue as planned.

I don't think they will be wanting to avoid the cinema for a film as big as this. I expect they'd rather sit on it than throw it to the streaming wolves.

Baron Harkonnen is supposed to be grotesquely overweight, so much so he can't bear his own weight and needs a gravity defying harness to help support him. If that toy is an accurate facsimile of what we'll see in Villeneuve's Dune, I don't think that's extraordinary enough because, nowadays, you can see people bigger than that walking along any UK high street.

Yep I've long considered Dune as being absolutely perfect for a TV run. Even if just as a one off mini-series. I mean Christ we're getting 4 hours of the bloody Justice League!

But sadly clearly no-one's ever thought about taking it on that way.

Did you ever check out the early 2000s mini-series'? I seem to remember they were ok, if (clearly) not very memorable.

Did you ever check out the early 2000s mini-series'? I seem to remember they were ok, if (clearly) not very memorable.

I never checked this out, in all honestly i like Lynch's version. It is a real guilty pleasure of mine ever since i recorded it off of Channel 4 in 1989 and watched it several times a week during that summer of leaving school. Spicedivers version certainly improves on it and shows Lynch was on the right tracks with the footage he had filmed but had no final say, and the rest as we know is history.

I never checked this out, in all honestly i like Lynch's version. It is a real guilty pleasure of mine ever since i recorded it off of Channel 4 in 1989 and watched it several times a week during that summer of leaving school. Spicedivers version certainly improves on it and shows Lynch was on the right tracks with the footage he had filmed but had no final say, and the rest as we know is history.

I only watched the first series but barely remember it. Like you I'm a fan of the Lynch version, warts & all, but I think we've yet to see the definitive adaption. Fingers crossed that Villeneuve will nail it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom