Dune HD Smart H1 Owners Thread

I've had my Dune Smart H1 for years now and has been chugging away quite happily streaming media from my NAS.

However, I have just changed my receiver to a Rotel RSP 1069 processor and streaming audio to it via HDMI whereas previously it was via optical.

Now, some of my rips (blu rays) are not playing any audio. Although the Rotel is not HD audio compatible, on some discs (like my Rush live concert blu rays) it "converts" the HD sound to bog standard 5.1 (DTS). But on some rips I have, it is not doing that, in fact, not playing any audio at all.

I've been through lots of different permutations of settings on the Rotel and the Dune but haven't found a solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just set the Dune to do the HD audio decoding if the processor can't do it. That way you will get the benefit of the HD audio with the Rotel just being used as a volume control :p

IIRC the DTS HD audio formats also contain the core DTS audio, but I don't think the Dolby HD formats do. So if your rip has a Dolby HD soundtrack there would be nothing that the Rotel could handle, but it does of course understand the core DTS audio and can therefore decode that but just ignores the HD part as it doesn't know what it is.

Mark.

Thanks Mark.

However, just to add something.

I have a rip of a blu ray and I only ripped the DTS HD MA audio track. Playing via the Dune, I get no audio.

However, when I stream it over my cheapo MyGica 510B (sames as a Pivos Xios), I get the DTS sound track.

That suggests it is perhaps a setting in the Dune player?

Can you post your audio settings so I can have a look to see if I spot anything I think needs changing.

Mark.

Thanks, Mark.

When I have the following settings, on the DTS HD only rip I get stero on the Dune, but DTS on the MyGica:

Digital audio output mode: PCM (decode)
Audio decoding mode: 5.1 [NB I only have 5 speakers and no sub]
Maximum SPDIF sampe rate: 96khz [I changed from 48 just to see what happens!]
HDMI audio: enabled
Blu ray audio: best quality
Dynamic range control: auto
Volume control: best quality
Volume indication: percents
DTS CD audio conversion: disabled

When I change the Digital Audio Output Mode to "original (bitstream)" I get no audio at all on the Dune, but still get DTS on the MyGica.

o_O

The settings look fine, so I doubt changing any of them will help.

What connection do you have from the Dune to the Rotel? If HDMI is used and the Rotel accepts audio over HDMI then the decoded signal should work fine and give you surround sound. However if the Rotel is limited with the formats over HDMI then I'm not sure what it can accept. Or what other connection are you using?

Mark.

Another thought - are you running an old firmware on the Dune as there was an issue with decoding audio to stereo only a while back. If so I suggest you update to a newer firmware, or you could install the unofficial patch to fix the decoding:
Dune HD TV-101/301: Patch audio for DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD *UNOFFICIAL*
Officially audio formats DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD and HRA are not supported by the new Dune HD TV-301. But running an Internet Audio Patch (Unofficial) which overcomes this problem.

The patch allows:
1. Decoding to LPCM 5.1/7.1 instead of 2.0 (via HDMI)
2. Support of DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD bitstream

http://dune.do.am/dune_service_enable_multichannel_decoding.dsf

Note: this patch is not official, and its use is at the risk of the user. On the Dune HD TV-101 and 301, no support for its HD is officially provided by the manufacturer Dune HD but this patch allows to operate the HD sound. The Dune HD Lite 53D, the sound is not supported materially by Sigma Designs SMP8653 chip. This patch does not support HD audio in bitstream or decode. Only the core of sound support (DTS or Dolby Digital instead of DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD).
The patch does also works on other Dune players, not just the TV101/301

Mark.

Thanks. I am using HDMI.

I also have the very latest firmware.

I spent the last half hour scrabbling round and putting my back out to install an optical cable...and it works perfectly well over optical. Very odd.

Can anyone help, I have a Dune HD D1 and recently it has begun crashing. I checked and I'm on the latest firmware but I was just watching a 1080p MKV file and the Dune crashed 50 minutes in, the picture froze and that was that. I checked the nas drive it was getting the film from and that was fine and responding. This has happened twice recently not sure what's up.

I have used a freshly formatted 8gb usb and plugged that to the Dune. Got yadis installed. Ahh so happy!

I have read earlier in this thread about partition of the usb for system use... goes over my head. Do I need this? Is it useful?

Finally, what skins do people use in yaDIS? The standard one is pretty boring.

I use Zappiti but assume yaDIS is much the same.

System Storage....take a look here it talks about the very thing. If you want these additional features then you need somewhere to store the data.

The most logical would be to use the USB drive as the 8gb is enough to store your yaDIS information and use as system storage. But you'll need to set this up before sending yaDIS info to it, the partitioning will wipe the drive.

If you partition the USB drive using a mac be aware it will load several hidden files that need to be removed or it will prevent the Dune using it.

EDIT:
oh....and if you do decide to do it, partition 2Gb to system and the 6Gb for yaDIS

If all I will use the dune for is movie play back using yaDIS, do I need to make partition for system use?

no you won't....but you never know you may eventually decide you do and find you need to wipe the drive and resend all again. Not that much of a problem, just a pain. Suppose you could always buy another USB drive and connect to another USB port on the Dune and use that one for system storage and keep the other for yaDIS

System Storage gives you several options such as temp storage for firmware updates (if we ever get any that is :rolleyes: ), but it is not available for storing Yadis etc on. So if you partition the flash drive you get the best of both worlds for it. However I only have System Storage with no local storage on my Dune and my Zappiti video wall is all stored on my unRAID server.

Mark.

Mark, what was the reason for putting the video wall on the unRAID server rather than USB?

If all I will use the dune for is movie play back using yaDIS, do I need to make partition for system use?
You will [want to set up system storage] if you want to create Favourites (shortcuts) in the Dune GUI. And since not so long ago fw update added the ability to boot straight into a Favourite, eg you can load straight into Yadis or another movie library (Zap fan myself). You use the info button (brings up a menu list) on the Dune remote to create a shortcut to a folder on the Dune, and you use same button on a Favourite to make Dune boot into that Favourite on loading.

Edit: but you don't need to put system storage on the same USB, it's just using up some of that free space!

Last edited:
Boot straight into yaDIS would be brilliant. Will buy a second usb I think.

Those using yaDIS, may I ask what skins people use? My brother installed XBMC on my mac with Aeon skin - looks amazing :D don't think Aeon skin is available for yaDIS though?

Mark, what was the reason for putting the video wall on the unRAID server rather than USB?
AS I've never had any local storage in my Dune it was just the obvious place to put it really.
It also means that should I get another Dune for the bedroom etc I could access Zappiti from both players without having to create 2 exports.

Mark.

Boot straight into yaDIS would be brilliant. Will buy a second usb I think.

Those using yaDIS, may I ask what skins people use? My brother installed XBMC on my mac with Aeon skin - looks amazing :D don't think Aeon skin is available for yaDIS though?

just go there for the yadis skins ;) : yaDIS 2 - Templates (files and pics only !) - MPC Club Community Board

you can easily partition a usb stick in a 2GB partition and the rest free for use (for yadis export folder for example) so you won't need 2 USB stick. Just check Scott's wiki here : Dune/Russian DSF Description - NerdWiki

You will need to use Dune_service_af_make_sstorage_and_ext3_on_pen.dsf

Attention : yadis is crashing from today for every users. It seems that the tuesday patch from MS on Win7 and Win8 changed something important. I just sent a mail to Fred hopping he will be able to make an update.

So for now yadis seems to be dead :(

did you try this morning ? Even with XP some people are unable to launch yadis.

Anyway, Fred is working on it and a patch should come soon. Apparently it's a problem with tmdb (so this might impact other jukeboxes as well...)

AS I've never had any local storage in my Dune it was just the obvious place to put it really.
It also means that should I get another Dune for the bedroom etc I could access Zappiti from both players without having to create 2 exports.

Mark.

Mark

How do you save an external folder as a favourite in order to launch into it on start-up? I'm sure that I looked at how to do this when the feature was added but it defeated me.

John

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom