Question Dust Control in rooms

Mayandi2

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there compact but effective devices that are not too expensive that are able to reduce dust settling over and around A-V equipment?

Always thought there was Product opportunity for this, maybe a device that generated a load of static to attract the dust particles in the air.

Apart from killing anyone that touched it, there must have been other mitigating factors :)

Fabien

I am sure that Russ Andrews will have something that uses reverse engineered Klingon technology costing several thousand pounds that does this (allegedly).

I guess the only real way to do it is to have some sort of air filtration system either in the room where the equipment is or the whole house. Not cheap. I say something like this on Grand Designs the other week becasue the kids were highly allergic to everything, so air purification was important.

Unless you are looking to use your AV whilst wearing a space suit or want to hermetically seal the rooms with hepa filters then simply use a few drops of fabric conditioner in water and use a very well wrung out cloth. The fabric conditioner has anti static ingredients for clothes, it should help avoid the static charge attracting dust to your equipment. you can't eliminate the problem but it will reduce it.

You could put a dyson fan with Hepa Filters in close proximity as they are supposed to filter the air

Ha Ha! I meant those plug-in devices that claim to so the job. As I am buying a lot of extensive kit, I thought I'll ask.

But thanks for all the answers

If you're that worried put it in a vented cabinet. Never any dust settles on mine as it's inside an enclosed cabinet with 120mm fans.

Air filters are designed for exactly this. I have one made by winix. It significantly reduces dust build up. Expect to pay £100-200. There are many others.

A cleaner once a week :smashin:

There's loads of air filters on the market that will do this, I have one in my sons room that filters an ungodly amount of dust out of the air.

I also have a dehumidifier in my utility room that filters so much I broke it but they're a massive PITA unless you can permanently connect it to a drain.

G

You could go the environmentally friendly route which is currently in vogue - Low maintenance plants.

Just watch out for fly infestation & excrement replacing the unwanted dust.

"Plants absorb particles from the air at the same time that they take in carbon dioxide, which is then processed into oxygen through photosynthesis.

Stephanie Huckestein, instructor of indoor plants at the Hahn Horticulture Garden of Virginia Tech, said plants remove pollutants from the air by absorbing gases through the pores on their leaves."

Full article here -

Are ionisers still a thing? They used to use them in demos to clear smoke fill boxes, not to rid the smoke but to stop the particles from floating in the air. I would have thought part of the issue of static attraction is the persistence of the particles in the air which are then attracted to your equipment.

Dust settles at about 300mm per hour in still air.
Cover your a/v kit overnight, close all room openings, and vacuum everything with a HEPA filtered vacuum clean, nilfisk are good, in the morning.
Unfortunately you take more particulates in with you when you want to use the room.
Sounds like you need tacmats and clean room clothing, not really fun. You'd also have to remove all soft furnishings, unless they were nylon.
Sound like a cleaning regime and an enclosed filtered cabinet would be best.
😷

There’s a company called Allergy Cosmos who sell a whole range of air filters.
i think Blue Air is quite a popular brand but I think you’ll be looking at £500+

And what about epithelial cell shedding? Maybe a dermal barrier cream augmented with a Tyvek suit and tornado full face filter mask. Some neoprene gloves and over boots may also be appropriate.

Just buy a positive air pressure system for your house (like they have at McLaren HQ)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom