Question DVD-RAM AND DVD-RW PROBLEM

boyohboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
For some years I have had a LG RHT497H DVD Recorder which has served me well. I have until now only used the HDD but recently I decided to transfer some VHS to DVD. I have a number of both types from when I had a recorder that didn't have a hard drive. All the discs had been wiped long ago. None of them were recognized by the RH497H so I tried to format them in the recorder but failed so I tried erasing and formatting on my PC (windows 10). The computer says completed but the recorder still fails to recognise the discs. Am I doing something wrong or is there a technical reason? By the way, the recorder recognises commercial and finalised dvd's OK

Last edited:
Discs formatted on a computer will not work in a DVD recorder.
They will need to be reformatted in the DVDR.

How did the formatting attempts fail in the machine when you tried them?

Discs formatted on a computer will not work in a DVD recorder.
They will need to be reformatted in the DVDR.

How did the formatting attempts fail in the machine when you tried them?
Thanks for your help. Basically, the machine takes ages reading or trying to read a disk then eventually says "unknown disk please check again". Most of the time that is it but sometimes get a message saying "initializing" then "disk format" where the ribbon moves across but freezes at the very end. Just tried again with a few but same story. I have tried to get into Settings and on the rare occasion have got to set up but all the further options are faded out.

I think you will just have to sacrifice the discs, unfortunately.
If they are this difficult to read they cannot be considered reliable enough to put media on that you wish to keep.

RAM's in particular seem to have a number of formatting 'goes' beyond which they will not function, and the others are probably just too old.

It's a very general rule but it is better fom the point of view of reliability to use burn once media such DVD-R.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that discs deteriorated. I will get some DVD-Rs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom