EA want/tried to buy Valve

Gabe Newell says company would rather "disintegrate" than sell out

No way on this planet Newell would sellout to a company like EA.

Is this EA finally admitting origin will never be as good as steam? :laugh:

The fact that EA could afford to buy a company for $1 billion, shows how much they are fleecing their gamers.

At least it would mean steam would be a little more open, and valve could get back to actually making games.

If EA bought Valve and the Steam sale's started slumping to EA's standards.... I'd turn into the Mighty blackbeard himself.

Despite the billion dollar offer, Newell said Valve would prefer to "disintegrate" than ever sell out.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes, I still despise EA, they are complete....there is yet a word to be invented for what they are but whatever it is they are a complete one at that.

tris

I'd probably give up gaming if this happened.

This gave me a good chuckle!
And if it did happen I would hang my gaming PC up for good.

I keep saying, we're so close to another gaming crash like the one in the 80's

EA and other publishers are ruining the gaming industry in the search for never ending profit.

AAA PC gaming has never been so vulnerable IMHO - at present it is almost exclusively Steam led - and if something happens to Steam then we will be in a very uncomfortable position. What rights will we have, I wonder, if a third party does buy Steam and in the course of time 'discontinues' games we have 'brought'?

Of course the community clutches into the belief this will 'never' happen because 'Gabe' said it wouldn't. Well I am sorry but I just don't buy into this concept that Valve, a commercial company, runs Steam for the benefit of mankind. Bad times ahead IMHO - and this is why we should all be rooting for Origin and other platforms to rise to challenge Steam.

IF steam go under I belive they have stated that they would release keys for all games, but that being said I am sure it would not be a legally binding promise.

if they were bought out......... I guess potentially you *could* (though unlikely) be SOOL. Truth is whoever bought them would in all probability continue to support you but our check boxes which we all agree to make it quite clear that we own nothing and are buying into the ability to play a game. almost a long term rental agreement.

What I hate is the fact that if steam change their terms of service - which they DO do from time to time, IF you decide you are at odds with any new terms so refuse to sign, not only do you not get access to buy new content, but they actually block your account and you lose all previous sales.

this means, you can harp on about how amazing steam are (and indeed some of their deals are scorching) BUT in their own way their terms are just as disgraceful as any other company out there.

And as for Gabe and "he would rather go under than sell to EA" I call BS on that. It is easy to say when things are going well, but if the Steam ship was sinking and about to go under, and EA came in with an offer like that, faced with bancrupcy or a $1b payout, to say he would take bankruptcy means he is either an idiot (clearly not the case) or a liar imo.

Rasczak said:
AAA PC gaming has never been so vulnerable IMHO - at present it is almost exclusively Steam led - and if something happens to Steam then we will be in a very uncomfortable position. What rights will we have, I wonder, if a third party does buy Steam and in the course of time 'discontinues' games we have 'brought'?

Of course the community clutches into the belief this will 'never' happen because 'Gabe' said it wouldn't. Well I am sorry but I just don't buy into this concept that Valve, a commercial company, runs Steam for the benefit of mankind. Bad times ahead IMHO - and this is why we should all be rooting for Origin and other platforms to rise to challenge Steam.

Shock response.

It's a valid point, that it is dangerous to have all your eggs in one basket. Yet, STEAM is such a pretty basket.

You do know you're trying to express your views to closed minded people?

Broken Record.

Broken Record.

Indeed ... :rolleyes:

Pro-Steam/Anti-Steam. I'm really not arsed. You can't please everyone, yet no download service (i.e. Origin, Steam etc) has ever wronged me, so er, I've got nothing to say on any of them. :boring:

Indeed ... :rolleyes:

Pro-Steam/Anti-Steam. I'm really not arsed. You can't please everyone, yet no download service (i.e. Origin, Steam etc) has ever wronged me, so er, I've got nothing to say on any of them. :boring:

Explains your attitude then.

Explains your attitude then.

Exactly. MY attitude. ME.

On the Internet, people can be whoever they want to be and say whatever they want to say - truth or otherwise.

So yes, it does explain my "attitude" :lesson:

I don't think it is a question of pro or anti-Steam - the platform has a huge range of benefits and has really enhanced PC gaming - but it is a question of having all your eggs in one basket. The basket may be beautiful but it is still a single point of failure. So yes I was deadly serious when I said I hope Origin and others come of age.

I trust newell when he says if steam ever closed doors he would make everybody's games available to them. origin would never do that
Hopefully this would/will happen. But in the terminal days of a company - where perhaps administrators are trying to preserve and sell on every little bit of a company - do we really believe that the resell value would be abandoned as a gesture for the fans? Really? I think that is all part of Values PR stance that, whilst very effective, is probably an empty gesture that costs them nothing now and nothing should they disregard it in the event of Steam being wound up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom