Ebay query

Graham43

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just tried to order a couple of blu rays from a US seller who I have used before in the past. I get to the payment page, click pay and this message pops up:-

! This seller is not allowed to sell to UK buyers.
This seller has been identified by HMRC as not being compliant with UK VAT rules, so we have restricted their sales to UK buyers. We recommend that you search for similar items from other compliant sellers.

Seller has still got 400,000 items for sale in his store. So hardly restricting sales to UK sellers.

Seller has still got 400,000 items for sale in his store. So hardly restricting sales to UK sellers.
Does it let you pay for any of these items, or does it get stopped at the payment page?

That’s a new one on me. Sounds like the HMRC are probably clamping down on overseas sellers who declare the value of goods incorrectly to save the buyers paying tax/duty on the import.

HMRC have been threatening to do this for a while. Looks like they finally got their act together. Probably will hit Amazon marketplace sellers too.

This happened to me yesterday with AllYourMusic so I had to order the disc from their own site. Slightly more expensive doing it this way but at least I got it ordered.

AllYourMusic was the one I tried to initially order from. Ended up using Moviemars-UK.

This happened to me yesterday with AllYourMusic so I had to order the disc from their own site. Slightly more expensive doing it this way but at least I got it ordered.

Same thing happened to me recently although I didn't know they had their own site so ended up paying more for the item from a UK based seller. I will now look up their site in future so thanks for the heads up.

Import tax point is one of the only things that's not gone up with inflation in fact it's gone down £18 use to be the limit.

Import tax point is one of the only things that's not gone up with inflation in fact it's gone down £18 use to be the limit.

Doesn't that mean we're paying more tax? Tax on everything over £15 when it used to be tax on everything over £18.

Doesn't that mean we're paying more tax? Tax on everything over £15 when it used to be tax on everything over £18.
I said the tax point not the tax you pay. If good go up in price with inflation less and less will come in under £15.

I said the tax point not the tax you pay. If good go up in price with inflation less and less will come in under £15.

Sorry - misunderstood your post. I see what you mean. now.

And with the exchange rate on sterling being so poor, it's very hard to order any newer titles and keep it under £15.

And with the exchange rate on sterling being so poor, it's very hard to order any newer titles and keep it under £15.
I can remeber when I was importing stuff from the USA and it was £18 price point and $2 to the £1 and then there was steady decline of the rate to $1.5 (even before the Brexit vote). So at that point in time from the USA if under $36 you paid no duty. Now its just under $19 almost half.
Also I was looking up a 4k player in the states chipped for region free was lower in dollar price than the UK unchipped in pounds.

I remember ordering region 1 DVDs from play247.com (before they became play.com) and they were all priced at £17.99 to keep it under the customs limit.

I remember HM Customs & Revenues (as they were known before being bought by ASDA) sending threatening emails to a few North American stores years back.

As for the removal of all your music (AKA DeepDiscount/WowHD/ImportCDs.com etc) from Amazon they're one of many stores Amazon have removed due to new VAT laws -I believe there's further changes 2020 for the EU. Now, it's not even worth looking for something to import on Amazon UK and even if all your music return they're going to be more expensive.

It's a shame they've gone from Amazon and their other stores have increased their prices quite a bit. As for their eBay store it seems to function for me (at least I get to the checkout stage).

They only good news I suppose it the original PoHMs over in Oz (and NZ I believe) are having their import limit reduced from $2,500 to errr...nil. There seems to be no concrete rules yet but it's simply the government collecting tax in a third country. Feels a bit odd to me (and a ******* cheek) and maybe something someone can challenge.

I fear the importation of Blu-rays/DVDs/UHDs will only get more expensive.

Oh, the memories! :D

AllYourMusic seems to be working again on ebay. At least it did for me last night as I finally got an order to go through. Maybe they've settled with HMRC?

oAoi5nx.png

Z1yui51.png

eBay now shows a few messages including: This seller is currently away, and isn't processing orders at this time

Although they have plenty of alternative sites [for people who know them well], losing eBay and Amazon must be pretty damaging for their cash flow in the next few months.

oAoi5nx.png

Z1yui51.png

eBay now shows a few messages including: This seller is currently away, and isn't processing orders at this time

Although they have plenty of alternative sites [for people who know them well], losing eBay and Amazon must be pretty damaging for their cash flow in the next few months.

I noticed that when I looked again today. Will see if I get the order I got through yesterday.

They seem to be back as all_your_entertainment_irl here

Maybe "irl" means Ireland so they're doing the Double Irish tax dodge well known to companies like Apple.

Not that I agree with cheap Blu-rays as somebody has to pay for the Royal Wedding™ :D

*The Royals, The Royal Wedding and The Queen are part of Brexit Inc

AYM are back proper here

Some prices have increased but still plenty of low price stock.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom