eBay refund issue

D

Deleted member 849701

I have had an issue with eBay. I bought an item in error and told the seller to cancel within an hour but he still posted it next day. He actually replied to one of the questions I asked him but still sent it anyway. It went to Argos click and collect but Argos closed due to coronavirus. eBay said no refund until the items back. Argos posted it on March 25th but the tracking failed to work. The seller says its not back yet and refusing to refund. I opened a PayPal case and then eBay said I could get a refund from eBay within 48 hours. Waited for the refund to arrive and today they told me PayPal refused to refund so where do I stand now the PayPal case is still open? eBay now claim the case was won in my favour but PayPal playing hard ball?

So did you open a paypal case as well as an eBay one? Usually you only need to go via eBay. If you’ve got PayPal involved before eBay then I’m not sure where you stand.

The post is really slow at the moment so it’s not inconceivable that it’s still travelling back to the seller.

So did you open a paypal case as well as an eBay one? Usually you only need to go via eBay. If you’ve got PayPal involved before eBay then I’m not sure where you stand.

The post is really slow at the moment so it’s not inconceivable that it’s still travelling back to the seller.
Yes eBay told me I couldn’t get a refund as the seller hasn’t got item even after 10 days. Some suggested I open a PayPal case at that point. eBay said a few days ago a refund was issued and I would have it in 48 hours after a u-turn. I waited 4 days no refund so they told me today PayPal refused to give a refund as the case still open?

By what means did Argos return the item?
How do you know it’s been returned?

With everything that’s going on you haven’t got much choice other than to sit it out and hope it turns up I’m afraid. On top of that if the return isn’t tracked you have to hope the seller doesn’t pull a fast one.

what's the basis of claim? item not received should be easy process.

By what means did Argos return the item?
How do you know it’s been returned?

With everything that’s going on you haven’t got much choice other than to sit it out and hope it turns up I’m afraid. On top of that if the return isn’t tracked you have to hope the seller doesn’t pull a fast one.
A tracking number appeared on the eBay return case the tracking number failed to work. Argos told me the item was sent back.

is the tracking number for delivery to you or back to seller? I take it that you've already escalated and asked ebay for help.

is the tracking number for delivery to you or back to seller? I take it that you've already escalated and asked ebay for help.
The item arrived at store I got tracking. It closed a day later I was actually gonna pick it up and send it back. This Is the tracking number I got it said return as unwanted but eBay have closed the case as a PayPal one is open. It was sent back Royal Mail but sent to Argos with interlink ..

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: . Maybe you want to edit your post and remove tracking no. Don't know but could show your personal details.

It’s an interesting one, perhaps complicated by having opened two cases.

Ultimately you never received the package. The return was not for you to do as you can’t get to it in the first place. As such the seller remains responsible.

What were the grounds for the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a reply from the seller today saying he can’t see any tracking information also asked if I sent it I have told him 20 times Argos sent it back

I have sent him proof that Argos sent the return as it appeared in my return window I sent him it already but had to sent again

Nothing more to do. You've tried your best to help seller, didn't received item, Argos took decision by themselves. to send it back & you passed this info to seller. Its now for seller to chase Argos. You may receive some kind of documents to sign in future (eg tick on not received) if Argos failed to find item and decides to refund to seller the cost upto the value of insurance covered by posting fee.

Yes I made it clear to him he will have to claim it on Insurance I await his reply. My worry is he won’t refund nor will PayPal?

Yes I made it clear to him he will have to claim it on Insurance I await his reply. My worry is he won’t refund nor will PayPal?
Well you never received, so did you open a not received case? It is not your problem.

He did receive but his delivery address was Argos not his home.

I know it’s too late now but whoever advised you to put a paypal claim in was wrong to do so. It’s just muddied the water and I fear it won’t pan out too favourably for you.

I think he's already won the case (post#10) & only matter of time before getting refunds. No need to worry as it's the ebay who'll pay for refund & they'll claim it from seller.

He also said eBay have closed the case as there is a paypal one open

He did receive but his delivery address was Argos not his home.

I know it’s too late now but whoever advised you to put a paypal claim in was wrong to do so. It’s just muddied the water and I fear it won’t pan out too favourably for you.
It is not delivered until he collected it. Up until that moment it is between the seller and the delivery point. No different than using a courier which holds it until signing over.

ahh ok understood now. Ebay case is won & closed but as paypal one is still open, the refund from ebay is on hold. I still think no need to worry as OP will get his refund.

It is not delivered until he collected it. Up until that moment it is between the seller and the delivery point. No different than using a courier which holds it until signing over.
eBay terms state seller is only responsible for getting it to the collection point if I’ve read it correctly

D6FFDF74-4CD3-469E-9CE3-BB904745959D.jpeg

Might be worth a read any op just in case you missed anything

Useful, so these are the seller terms. I note no onus on the buyer to provide evidence. But granted the seller is also not obliged to refund until they received it back and then do it within six days.

Hence the refund is taking a bit of time.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom