Edifier S350DB 2.1 Speaker System Review & Comments

Some HT enthusiasts say that being crossovered at appx 160Hz is bad on these speakers, since "you can hear where the bass above 80Hz comes from".
I use them as TV speakers and listen from 3m away, PC is connected too for music. I can tell you that this higher crossover point is GREAT MOVE by Edifier as the sound (upper bass) is so full and good and integration between sub and sats is sulerb. That's what makes them so good for music.
I did not notice directivity HT enthusiasts talk, maybe it can be tricky when sats are on desk and sub below the desk that's not ideal in the sense of music listening.

And for the record I also cannot use TV remote to control volume when connected via optical cable. It's Sony A8. Maybe some TV models can.

I do have Denon AVR and Cambridge Audio S70 speakers and that (more pricey) combination sounds so much worse for music than these Edifiers, it's no comparison.

Thanks for the review and some great comments here too.

I've got a set of these at the moment that im testing. Happy to share a write up and a bit of a comparison to a denon ceol n10 that I've done once on a better device !

In mean time does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the S360DB?
I know it has larger tweets and drivers; as well as a wireless sub.

I'm particular wonder if wireless sub is a bad thing. I ask as thinking of getting the 360 instead.

Thanks for the review and some great comments here too.

I've got a set of these at the moment that im testing. Happy to share a write up and a bit of a comparison to a denon ceol n10 that I've done once on a better device !

In mean time does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the S360DB?
I know it has larger tweets and drivers; as well as a wireless sub.

I'm particular wonder if wireless sub is a bad thing. I ask as thinking of getting the 360 instead.
My friend is waiting on s360db I'm interested in the difference, too.

Their satellites have 30W middrivers and 10W tweeters, as opposed to s350db where it's 25+15W. Apart from slightly different specs they are supposed to be more hifi... I'm curious to hear them. Funny, there are not many reviews..I learned more from the YT comments than videos.

My friend is waiting on s360db I'm interested in the difference, too.

Their satellites have 30W middrivers and 10W tweeters, as opposed to s350db where it's 25+15W. Apart from slightly different specs they are supposed to be more hifi... I'm curious to hear them. Funny, there are not many reviews..I learned more from the YT comments than videos.

Have you or your friend got the 350 to compare ?

One of the YT video comments mentioned that the 350 had higher notes where as thell 360 was flat / duller. This has somewhat further questioning it vs the s350db

Have you or your friend got the 350 to compare ?

One of the YT video comments mentioned that the 350 had higher notes where as thell 360 was flat / duller. This has somewhat further questioning it vs the s350db
I have s350db and he is still waiting on his new 360 to be delivered.

What I read on some yt comments is that 360 have different sound signature due to the new tweeter. 350 has more raw, louder and higher pitched sound, but 360 is more balanced and refined and high-res music sounds better due to additional components.

So I didn't compare them yet unfortunately. They should be better just based on the better drivers in satellites, I think what Edifier did is they upgraded 350 and improved some key areas, i.e. drivers and some electronic components.

I have s350db and he is still waiting on his new 360 to be delivered.

What I read on some yt comments is that 360 have different sound signature due to the new tweeter. 350 has more raw, louder and higher pitched sound, but 360 is more balanced and refined and high-res music sounds better due to additional components.

So I didn't compare them yet unfortunately. They should be better just based on the better drivers in satellites, I think what Edifier did is they upgraded 350 and improved some key areas, i.e. drivers and some electronic components.

Thanks, that's a useful interpretation. In short suffice to say the 360 should be better in terms of quality and clarity?

I also have the 350 and need to return in any case as bluetooth doesn't work, so am thinking of replacing with a 360.

Be interesting to hear your comparison when your friend has it.

That's too bad. I rarely use Bluetooth on them, but sometimes I need to unpair/pair the source to get it work.

Sure I'll write it here when I do listen.

So tonight I was at my friends. I had my HDD with FLACs to have at least some comparability. Different room, different sound card in the laptop, but I can at least say my subjective impressions, whatever that's worth.

s360db have better tweeter. Vocal performance is better. S350db tweeter can trick you to think it's more detailed because of the nature of the titanium tweeters sound, but no. It's an illusion, s360db eats them.
s350db maybe has a bit stronger bass, or maybe it sounds different to me. Woofer and satellite integration is seemless in both.
Sattelites are bigger on s360db but it's just due to the fact that all electronics are in the right sattelite. On s350db all is in the woofer.
My friends 360s are not broken yet, they have maybe 15 hours.

My first impression is that s360db do sound a bit better.

Last edited:
Sometimes these speakers have a noise while they are on, sort of a high pitched one. Only when I switch to COX they don't.

Then I turn off and back on and it's gone

Why is this noise present in some active speakers, is it from cheap circuits, or something else?

Are these still worth a punt in 2022 for £179.99? Or is there a better alternative?

Amazon product ASIN B077Y6PHKQ

I don't know enough about newer models, however speaker/audio technology evolves much more slowly than other tech. Speakers from 10 years ago still sound fantastic today.

The only feature I miss on this set is ARC. I use the speakers mainly for movie watching on my TV (they are fantastic btw) and not being able to control the volume with my TV remote is a first world annoyance. If the new model had that, I'd gladly pay an extra £30-40.

Otherwise, these at £180 are getting close to bonkers good value for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I don't know enough about newer models, however speaker/audio technology evolves much more slowly than other tech. Speakers from 10 years ago still sound fantastic today.

The only feature I miss on this set is ARC. I use the speakers mainly for movie watching on my TV (they are fantastic btw) and not being able to control the volume with my TV remote is a first world annoyance. If the new model had that, I'd gladly pay an extra £30-40.

Otherwise, these at £180 are getting close to bonkers good value for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: I ordered them earlier today, fingers crossed they'll be as good as the reviews say.

Are these still worth a punt in 2022 for £179.99? Or is there a better alternative?

Amazon product ASIN B077Y6PHKQ
I paid about £213 back in 2020, and I still think they're absolutely great - I'm using them as computer speakers. As per above, speaker tech moves quite slowly - unless you genuinely must have streaming services and all that.

Well they turned up! :clap:

Plenty of experimenting to do yet, but first thoughts ..

Are they worth £180? That would be a resounding Yes I think. DPD were spot on with the delivery, young guy took good care of bringing them from roadside to my front door, gingerly placed them inside the door, no signs whatsoever of exterior damage or knocks/dents. Set about unwrapping my early Bday present to myself, and the first thing I noticed was whoever wrapped the speakers in that foam stuff and taped them, doubled over the end of the tape so there was no hacking away with a knife to free up the contents, just peel back and there they are. It's the little things, ya'know?

The quality of the speakers and sub are absolutely gorgeous, if Rosewood isn't your thing then sorry, these are just a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

I'm a retired Joiner/Woodworker by trade so this afternoon I need to make a couple of speaker stands for the satellites, got it all planned out with sizes and materials needed, just need to do it, applying a finish is tomorrows job, I need to have these babies installed for some TV watching tonight ;)

Bluetooth linked up from my phone on first attempt, streamed a few test tracks from my NAS and all sounded excellent, a bit of tweaking here and there and all should be good.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4/KODI/LibreELEC for streaming from the NAS to the Samsung UE55MU7000 TV in the living room, the S350DB's are linked through optical, and no, sadly the TV remote doesn't raise or lower the volume, too bad.

Ran my usual test of the Podracer sequence from Star Wars The Phantom Menace, wonderful, lovely soundscape, plenty of roar from the Podracers, nice seperation on the channels, yeah I could be in love with these.

I need to get these speaker stands started, will most likely update when I've had more time to dabble :rolleyes: :laugh:

Even at their original new price they were a bargain by all accounts.

And at that price? Must be first class.

Can’t really beat active speakers and a sub 👍

I paid about £213 back in 2020, and I still think they're absolutely great - I'm using them as computer speakers. As per above, speaker tech moves quite slowly - unless you genuinely must have streaming services and all that.
Please just dont put the subwoofer under the table and satellites on the table, sound will be shit. Due to the high crossover point they need to be listened from distance, all three speaker boxes. Like you would place them next to your TV and sub below on the floor. That is when they really shine. Getting the sub out of the way/sight will split the sound significantly and ruin experience. There are too good to be used that way (sub below the computer table) and if using that way you will better off with the 2.0 system.

Last edited:
I have these for almost two years and yes I agree on the remote and optical, it would be handy if the volume could be controlled via TV remote...but it doesnt work like that with optical, unfortunately.

In my experience, bluetooth sounds really, really bad. I had few android phones with AptX and it does make a little difference when compared to normal SBC bluetooth, but it is not great, really. Sounds like trash and really quiet. Sound is so much better via optical, coax or RCA, I am using all those inputs.

If anyone is interested how linear they are in frequency response - they are not, they are bass heavy. But it is a quality bass, not muddy or slow, and I really enjoy it. I was listening them for over a year with the bass knob at 0 and got so used to that sound, that when I did my measurements I was surprised to see how non-linear and bass heavy they really are. I tried to bring bass down with the knob only (not real EQ), but even with bass -6 (you can see on the photo attached to my post), they are still far cry from flat response. But I dont like the sound with -6, I like them with bass 0, that is how much I got used to that sound and that is my preference now. And them not having flat response is fine with me, I like them that way. They can get EQd but I didnt want to do that as I find them perfect for my taste. As you can see they are almost full range and important, they are audible below the 30Hz. At 27Hz they are at 75dB (in my room) and it can shake the old windows and kitchen cabinet doors!

This is frequency response in my current room (19 sq m, satellites aside from the TV 30cm from the wall, woofer below the TV shelf 25cm from the floor and 20cm from the wall, has lot of breathing space), it would be different in your rooms.
My recommendation is maybe to start listening them with the bass -6 so you can get used to "closer-to-flat" sound. Because when you get used to hearing the bass guitar on knob 0 you wont be able to turn the knob down :)

I hope this can help to someone :)

Attachments

• REW.png
    REW.png
    519.9 KB · Views: 102

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom