Editor's Choice Awards - Best Projectors 2018 - article discussion

Nice little round up, although I would have thought you would have gone with the Sony 760 laser for the top model, it is also a pity that you have not reviewed the Optoma UHD51 as I think you will find it gives a much better picture performance compared to the Benq W1700 for the same price. (The UHD 51 is a cracking projector in its price range)

Bill

The VPL-VW760ES is almost twice the price of the VW570ES, but in my opinion, not twice the performance. We haven't reviewed the Optoma. Thanks for your comments.

like OLED it feels like projector technology has pretty much peaked and its minor changes from year to year..........................no doubt an 8k PJ will be out soon.............or very cheap laser

The VPL-VW760ES is almost twice the price of the VW570ES, but in my opinion, not twice the performance. We haven't reviewed the Optoma. Thanks for your comments.
When is any piece of kit have performance improvement that is the equivalent of the price multiple? Is the trinov 5x the performance of the arcam 850?

Higher end is always Deminishing returns I think.

Would be interesting to hear you views on the difference between the vw760 and the vw570 and the JVC Z1 and the vw760. Would you still stick with the 570 as the best 4K projector for sub commercial venue projectors.

Kevin

Good round up - looking forward to seeing how the new native JVC’s stack up in comparison to the Sony’s. The VW570ES looks outstanding, is it a significant improvement over the VW270ES?

It’s a shame that native projectors haven’t fallen to the 3-4k range yet, the Sony VW270 is around 5k which is still a bit on the high side from my view.

Are the new TW7400&9400 models from Epson going to be coming for review, it would be interesting to see how they perform as they fill an interesting gap in the price range between the DLP BenQ W1700 and the native Sony options, I suppose it’s a question for the individual as to whether each step up is worth it depending on rate of returns / budget.

Last edited:
Higher end is always Deminishing returns I think.
Kevin
That is very true.
I thought it was supposed to be best projector as in picture quality, not best value for money otherwise you’d only need one category???
One of my main reasons for going with the VW570ES was the performance vs. value for money aspect, as it has very similar performance for far less than the VW760ES.

i think we are all waiting for the Epson 9400 and especially the JVC N5/7 and hoping that they will be the models to beat this year at their respective price points - cant wait to see reviews and the PJ's in action

surely in 2018 there is just the best projector ? not best non 4k and best 4k projector? I thought that seemed odd 3+ years into 4k projector tech?

I echo shame optoma uhd51 wasn’t reviewed this year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom