Editor's Choice Awards - Best Smartphones 2018 - article discussion

Where is the Pocophone F1. For the spec Vs price this phone is stunning value in every respect.

Ice
Logged in just to say the same thing! Beats most phones within a hundred or two quid of it in most departments. Lack of NFC may be a deal breaker for many though.

"There's a Smartphone for EVERYONE"- clearly AVF lives in a privileged world where EVERYONE can afford to drop £300 on a phone. Open your eyes - there is a very different world out there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Lads it needs to be read as best smartphones of 2018 "as reviewed by AVF" :)

"There's a Smartphone for EVERYONE"- clearly AVF lives in a privileged world where EVERYONE can afford to drop £300 on a phone. Open your eyes - there is a very different world out there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Personally not me but I think you'll find £300 is nothing in a privileged world! And not just privileged world, the whole world now.... Any Apple phone nowadays is at least twice that and for me, when I'm out and about, the amount of people using the latest expensive phones is alarming, especially the youngest teens. So I don't think only this forum has privileged member who can drop £300 on a phone....

The phone I had mentioned is now mostly well under £300 now anyway.

Ice

Personally not me but I think you'll find £300 is nothing in a privileged world! And not just privileged world, the whole world now.... Any Apple phone nowadays is at least twice that and for me, when I'm out and about, the amount of people using the latest expensive phones is alarming, especially the youngest teens. So I don't think only this forum has privileged member who can drop £300 on a phone....

The phone I had mentioned is now mostly well under £300 now anyway.

Ice

I know, my wife sees it every day at school. She sees kids that supposedly can't afford the basic equipment needed education but have the latest top of the range Apple or Android smartphones.

I like SmartPhones but I think there is too much peer pressure (like having to have the best trainers in the playground from a few years ago). And people change them too often - for most peoples' needs a Smartphone is good for at least three years. Okay some people like too and that's fair enough but there is too much pressure making people that they have to change - and that is a waste of money and bad for the environment.

Cheers,

Nigel

I should add that my posts are mostly tongue in cheek. I’m happy with the article and I’m not really thinking that AVF are out of touch - just targetting a helpful article at their technical audience. But I do thing that phone prices have got out of toych and there is a worrying peer pressure to have an acceptable phone so I really do see people spending money on phones that they can’t really afford or would be better spent else where. Additionally, this culture helps to drive the ever growing crimes involving phone theft. Personally I don’t see the need for a top of the range phone to be over £500, I don’t think there should be new versions every year.

Last edited:
Personally I went with the Huawei Honor 8X for £209.

First phone that's not a Sony/Samsung and very impressed, build quality is great, screen is nice and bright, battery lasts a full two days with moderate use, camera is as good as the Sony phone I had last year that had their best one on.

im baffled. why are the iphones in the list that can cost up to 3 or 4 times than the poco f1. its difficult to believe there is no brand loyalty...or snobbery and apple are not paying something...i know they pay mobile phone shops to have signs on the shop windows and to have them in a prominent stand..

what about budget phones. the redmi 6 pro is only £140 from Amazon. its feels like a premium phone but budget price, better in every way than a £140 iPhone, whatever that is..iphone 3 or 4...

Last edited:
im baffled. why are the iphones in the list that can cost up to 3 or 4 times than the poco f1. its difficult to believe there is no brand loyalty...or snobbery and apple are not paying something...i know they pay mobile phone shops to have signs on the shop windows and to have them in a prominent stand..
A belief of bias is not the same as evidence of bias.

For evidence of bias you are the perfect exhibit :) In your keenness to disparage the forum and continue the anti Apple and anti Samsung stance you managed to not read post #5 explaining the "best of" lists (appearing across the forum) comprise only items reviewed by AVF and are not meant to be a shortlist of 'every possible offering' in the given category

It is a matter of public record the forum's commercial team is separate to the editorial team and in turn separate to the moderation team

You are now calling me a liar by repeating the assertion the site is paid by Apple to produce iPhone reviews

dedicated Samsung thread

I would appreciate a public apology and retraction. In the spirit of Christmas I will let bygones be bygones. If you wish to maintain the opinion that is your prerogative, no matter how wrong it is, but you are then free to find another site more to your liking

apologies to apple iphone owners
I own a nearly four years old Samsung Note 4 handset so find this 'apology' lacking in contrition. This is off topic so we should stop derailing the thread :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom