Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3 11-Channel Power Amplifier Review & Comments

@gindy It definitely is capable of doing that!!

This is my volume from listening to the dark knight yesterday with zero distortion, peaking at nearly 109db 🤣

View attachment 1305363
[/QUOTE
Very kind of you to share. Volume isn’t a huge issue for me at the moment but I’m keen to take the strain off my avr with an amp from the front end appreciate that emotiva has more power but it should have really considering its priced at 40% more.

Would be interested if anyone has either gone from a emotiva to Nord or visa verse & can share any experiences / tangible differences.
Thanks

There seem to be some folk on AVSF using this amp reporting that the XLR inputs are wired differently (to US standards) so they are out of phase. Is this true and therefore an issue for UK supplied units?

There seem to be some folk on AVSF using this amp reporting that the XLR inputs are wired differently (to US standards) so they are out of phase. Is this true and therefore an issue for UK supplied units?

Yes, you need to wire the speakers in reverse on the XLR inputs.

Having read the paragraph thrice now, I'm not clear what "it" is?? The total cost if imported from the USA? The logic of the paragraph suggests to me that "it" would be more expensive (than UK prices)?
You read it half way through an edit.

I see someone highlighted the VAT issue above. But there are also distribution and store costs - both have to make a profit. Looking at the empty high street these days, I suspect most are not making huge profits.

I’d like to keep some shops going so that I can see or hear my AV & Hi-Fi before I buy. Rather than spend my time internet shopping.
Not sure how you've taken my post but I'm not passing judgement one way or the other.
The original poster was questioning why the price difference and I don't know about in the USA but as mentioned in the review there is only one, one box 11 channel amp in the UK for competition.

Yes, you need to wire the speakers in reverse on the XLR inputs.
This is what it says in the manual:
The XLR Balanced inputs on all of the XPA Gen3 amplifier modules are wired according to the European polarity/phase standard. If the absolute phase of the outputs on your XPA Gen3 amplifier is different than the absolute phase on other equipment you may have, or if your preamp or processor reports a phase inversion, this error can be eliminated by simply reversing the plus and minus speaker connections at the output of the amplifier. Alternately, the phase can be reversed by using a balanced interconnect cable that reverses the connections between pin 2 and pin 3 at either end.

Not sure how you've taken my post but I'm not passing judgement one way or the other.
The original poster was questioning why the price difference and I don't know about in the USA but as mentioned in the review there is only one, one box 11 channel amp in the UK for competition.
Hi Ian, I was following the thread and your post was part of it - I was not commenting on your comment. While competition may well have a bearing on the cost, I suspect VAT, distributor (who upgrade & maintain the amp in the UK) and seller (store) costs have an impact too. As an aside, the five channel amp is £1929 so the price for 6 extra amps seems quite reasonable.

This is what it says in the manual:
The XLR Balanced inputs on all of the XPA Gen3 amplifier modules are wired according to the European polarity/phase standard. If the absolute phase of the outputs on your XPA Gen3 amplifier is different than the absolute phase on other equipment you may have, or if your preamp or processor reports a phase inversion, this error can be eliminated by simply reversing the plus and minus speaker connections at the output of the amplifier. Alternately, the phase can be reversed by using a balanced interconnect cable that reverses the connections between pin 2 and pin 3 at either end.
Thanks. So did you have to reverse the speaker connections when using the Lyngdorf processor?

Thanks. So did you have to reverse the speaker connections when using the Lyngdorf processor?
No I didn't, and the system sounds fantastic. Unless I'm missing something, the manual says the amp's XLR inputs use the European polarity/phase standard, which would explain why some US owners on AVSF are reversing the speaker wiring, but I didn't need to.

No I didn't, and the system sounds fantastic. Unless I'm missing something, the manual says the amp's XLR inputs use the European polarity/phase standard, which would explain why some US owners on AVSF are reversing the speaker wiring, but I didn't need to.

I did after about 12 months of ownership as I was getting polarity warnings. It made no different to my results either way, as in essence, all speakers 11 are “in phase” with each other which ever way you look at it, then the subs get corrected with eq. Would most likely be more noticeable if using separate amps, one of which not being an Emotiva.

Thanks. The guy is based in France using an Emo amp with Marantz 8805, so that's why I didn't understand why he'd have an issue being out of phase if the XLRs were wired to European standards by default.

I did after about 12 months of ownership as I was getting polarity warnings. It made no different to my results either way, as in essence, all speakers 11 are “in phase” with each other which ever way you look at it, then the subs get corrected with eq. Would most likely be more noticeable if using separate amps, one of which not being an Emotiva.
I'm using a Lyngdorf SDA-2400 as well, but I haven't noticed any polarity issues, nor has my MP-60 issued any polarity warnings. Could it be because your RMC-1L uses the US XLR standard and the XPA-11 uses the European?

I'm using a Lyngdorf SDA-2400 as well, but I haven't noticed any polarity issues, nor has my MP-60 issued any polarity warnings. Could it be because your RMC-1L uses the US XLR standard and the XPA-11 uses the European?

This was when I had an Arcam 550, 860 and marantz 8805.

I go through processors pretty quickly 🤣

Blimey, that's more than me and I review them for a living. I think you've got a condition! :)

especially if you check out the classifieds! :facepalm:

i had a lyngdorf mp50 for a while too!

Let me know when your RMC-1L is in the classifieds MB3195. ;)

It was in there for a short while.
must be having second thoughts as its archived now.
For a mad moment I was considering buying it.

Let me know when your RMC-1L is in the classifieds MB3195. ;)
It was in there for a short while.
must be having second thoughts as its archived now.
For a mad moment I was considering buying it.

It may end up there again. I’m still having mixed feelings to be honest.

I was joking...I didn't realise you actually had advertised it. :eek:

I did read a thread on the Emotiva Lounge about the RMC, etc processors and some people having issues with Neural:X upmixing not working properly (one of your criticisms I think?). The power amps seem a good option judging by this review, but I've been a 'beta tester' for Arcam in the past (not by choice!). So I'll sit back and keep an eye on the various processor threads (including the Monoprice one too).

It may end up there again. I’m still having mixed feelings to be honest.
If you do advertise it again at the same price, I see that you'll be taking a £1745 hit compared to a brand-new one, which is quite a loss after only ten days .....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom