Enjoying some old Wii classics

cmdrmarc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having got my Wii U setup, I'm going through a few Wii classics that I either didn't give much time to first time around, or in cases, didn't play at all!

Metroid Other M - it didn't get the best of reviews, but I really like the combo of a more traditional side-on view, but being able to switch to 1st person to scan/shoot. Cut scenes are nicely done too (I heart Samus)

Trauma Center - I played this quite a lot on the DS, but it is hilarious as 2 player on the Wii. If you don't take yourself seriously, fighting over who gets to do various bits of the operations combined with the utterly ridiculous plots (and add in some beers) makes for some serious fits of laughing!

Will post more as I work through my backlog - the best bit is most Wii titles are pretty cheap outside of the top end 1st party titles (and even they aren't more than £10-£15 on the most part).

Anyone else enjoying some classic Wii titles?

Just had in-laws and kids coming round for the weekend......spent it playing:
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Mario & Sonic at the winter olympic games
  • Mario kart wii
Sooooo much fun and such an underrated console (most tend to focus on the dross it attracted rather than the gems it had).

Just had in-laws and kids coming round for the weekend......spent it playing:
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Mario & Sonic at the winter olympic games
  • Mario kart wii
Sooooo much fun and such an underrated console (most tend to focus on the dross it attracted rather than the gems it had).

I need to give the Winter Olympics one another shot, as I found it a bit prescriptive compared to the more open Summer Olympics.

How people can forget that the Wii brought us Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 is a mystery, and the fact you can pickup a console and both these titles for under £50 is still an amazing bargain!

Give resident evil 4 a whirl if you've not tried it. For me the Wii version was the best version, it nailed how a title like that should play on the Wii letting you play normally and only point when you had your gun drawn so you weren't constantly pointing, it's a real shame more third person titles weren't as good on the console.

Agreed, Resi Evil 4 on the Wii was fantastic !!

Not played it for ages but used to love Boom Blox. Lads round and a few beers it was a class game once i got past the paranoia of a wiimote going through the tv:confused:

House of the dead Overkill was another classic for me with my hand cannon

And Mario kart on a Friday night with some guys from here using the Xbox 360 for voice comms, happy days:thumbsup:

Not played it for ages but used to love Boom Blox. Lads round and a few beers it was a class game once i got past the paranoia of a wiimote going through the tv:confused:

House of the dead Overkill was another classic for me with my hand cannon

And Mario kart on a Friday night with some guys from here using the Xbox 360 for voice comms, happy days:thumbsup:

I've had Boom Blox sat on my shelf for over a year now. Need to give it a go!

Always enjoyed Tatsunoko v Capcom, Ultimate all stars. Great fun with friends after a few beers!

There seems to be a lot of love for the Mario Galaxy games. I have only played them both briefly as never owned a Wii and bought them off Ebay and gave them a go on the Wii U. I never really liked the Wii U emulation of Wii games though, and neglected to play more Wii games because of it.

I would rather see updates/rereleases on Switch of stuff like Mario Galaxy or Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing etc, than Wii U games that are not that old.

Picked up Kirby's Epic Yarn two weeks ago and loving it. Almost as good as Kirby's Adventure. Got Bloom Box too and will dig that out after finishing Epic Yarn.

Played Metal Slug Anthlogy a few weeks ago too but didn't enjoy it half as much as I thought I would. Might get rid of it.

Didn't realise Trauma centre was 2 player, might give that a whirl.

The thing that puts me off playing a lot of Wii games is the faffing with the Nunchuk and Wiimote. I just want something that I can pick up and play using the Wiimote only. For that reason, I've played Mario Galaxy for all of 20 mins before losing interest.

I'd have loved to buy a Switch but there's no backwards compatibility with Wii games.

just came into possession of a Wii
only have mario kart which is pretty good

what are the essentials, i was thinking of picking up Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess
i'm not sure how i'm going to get on with this nunchuck and swinging this controller around

just came into possession of a Wii
only have mario kart which is pretty good

what are the essentials, i was thinking of picking up Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess
i'm not sure how i'm going to get on with this nunchuck and swinging this controller around

I've enjoyed tons of games on the Wii with barely any arm flailing. Most of the best games only require subtle wrist actions, if that. And many support the classic controller and /or Gamecube controller. The best part of the wiimote is the IR pointer, after playing shooters on the Wii going back to dual analog seems a step back.

I'd say the essential games are:

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Skyward Sword (requires "Motion Plus" Wiimote or add-on)
Metroid Prime 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Resident Evil 4

But there's loads more genuinely great games, I could have recommended dozens more.

Also it's worth picking up a component cable for the best picture quality, if your TV supports it.

Additionally if your Wii has Gamecube controller ports then a Gamecube controller and memory card will expand the library of games (with standard controls) you have access to even further.

Last edited:
The thing that puts me off playing a lot of Wii games is the faffing with the Nunchuk and Wiimote. I just want something that I can pick up and play using the Wiimote only. For that reason, I've played Mario Galaxy for all of 20 mins before losing interest.

Maybe stick to the 2D platformers and rail shooters etc, Resident Evil Chronicles and HOTD: Overkill, Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros, Rayman Origins, Wario Land, Metroid: Other M, and Punch Out! Pretty sure the Wii port of the Resident Evil 1 remake can be played with just the Wiimote aswell.

I've enjoyed tons of games on the Wii with barely any arm flailing. Most of the best games only require subtle wrist actions, if that. And many support the classic controller and /or Gamecube controller. The best part of the wiimote is the IR pointer, after playing shooters on the Wii going back to dual analog seems a step back.

I'd say the essential games are:

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Skyward Sword (requires "Motion Plus" Wiimote or add-on)
Metroid Prime 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Resident Evil 4

But there's loads more genuinely great games, I could have recommended dozens more.

Also it's worth picking up a component cable for the best picture quality, if your TV supports it.

Additionally if your Wii has Gamecube controller ports then a Gamecube controller and memory card will expand the library of games (with standard controls) you have access to even further.

I'd suggest a wii2hdmi from ebay for a fiver as it's easier and just as good.

I'd suggest a wii2hdmi from ebay for a fiver as it's easier and just as good.
I've heard the quality of those being quite inconsistant. Also would it output in 480p, or does it just run the composite signal through your TVs HDMI port?

I've heard the quality of those being quite inconsistant. Also would it output in 480p, or does it just run the composite signal through your TVs HDMI port?
I've been using it for years and it's comparable to Component. Runs in 480p

Was mindblown to discover the online multiplayer for Goldeneye 007 is still up and running 9 years later.

Not as many players these days obviously but I did get quite a few rounds of full 8 player team deathmatches this afternoon. I was rusty as hell but improved a bit after a few rounds. Half the people I was playing against were level 56 beasts.

During the lockdown, there has been a mini revival in this house for the Wii and Wii U! I still have both consoles but played everything on the U. Has been great fun introducing my three young children to Wii Sports, I had totally forgotten how much fun tennis and bowling are :) I even treated myself to 30 minutes on Breath of the Wild yesterday evening, which I haven’t touched since I got my Switch a couple of years ago. Long may this continue (retro Nintendo time, not the lockdown).

Playing a bit of Mario Strikers Charged, great fun. Would love an update for the Switch.

I just completed Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii, 13 years after buying it. Well, I say completed, I've got all the main and grand stars including the final battle, but there are still 58 minor ones to collect.
Started Metroid Corruption again but am stuck on the Rundas boss level. Also started Zelda Twilight Princess but it is so repetitive.

I just completed Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii, 13 years after buying it. Well, I say completed, I've got all the main and grand stars including the final battle, but there are still 58 minor ones to collect.
Started Metroid Corruption again but am stuck on the Rundas boss level. Also started Zelda Twilight Princess but it is so repetitive.
whats it like to play with the nunchuck?
is it fiddly at all. i'm not a big fan of the nunchuck but i have a wii lying in the roof space that would be nice to get some use of

Not at all fiddly. I find the nunchuck very natural for moving the character around. Get it plugged in. I’m now on Donkey Kong Country Returns which so far looks exactly the same as the SNES originals.

Had a blast on Mario Kart Wii yesterday, I really can't win at 150cc, but does not stop it being enjoyable. I have the little wheel you clip your wiimote in.

I need to go and finally finish Mario Galaxy, I am so near the end of it too.

Just put in an hour on wii play with the missus. I forgot how much fun the wii was. Haven't played on one since 2013.

Given up on DK Returns as it's too similar to the original SNES versions. Having said that, I've now started Goldeneye 007 and it's also almost exactly the same as the N64 version but that isn't such a bad thing as that is one of the best games ever.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom