Enola Holmes (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas , good review, must admit quite fancy this.

The review doesn't match the score Cas, but you explain your reasons why. You make it sound like an affable enough endeavour with Brown doing her bit to make it entertaining. But that doesn't sound like something that could jump the line in my ever increasing backlog of films and TV shows to watch :)

Thanks Cas. Anything Sherlock related is always of interest. Will give it a watch this week.

The review doesn't match the score Cas, but you explain your reasons why. You make it sound like an affable enough endeavour with Brown doing her bit to make it entertaining. But that doesn't sound like something that could jump the line in my ever increasing backlog of films and TV shows to watch :)

No, it's not going to jump anybody's queue, certainly not if you haven't seen, for example, Devil All the Time. Or Raised by Wolves.

But it's perfectly entertaining fluffy fun, far from offensive, and MBB makes just about anything worth a watch.

I'll give it a go, the trailer made it look pretty fun.

I loved Young Sherlock Holmes, a movie which bizarrely never got any sequels despite the cliffhanger ending.

I loved Young Sherlock Holmes, a movie which bizarrely never got any sequels despite the cliffhanger ending.

It was a fun film, but when a film costs $18m ($35m today) and only takes in $19m ($46.5m) with a name like Spielberg attached, it's considered a disaster and any thought of sequels quickly abandoned.

How are you watching Raised By Wolves? It has no UK distributor rather bafflingly.

I'm using Tenet technology ;)

Agree, no UK distributor is odd, and I fear the worst for all HBO Max stuff, including the JLDC.

I'm always surprised when there's really excellent content and they act like they don't actually want anybody to see it.

It's a literal shut-up-and-take-my-money scenario.

Reminds me a bit of when Disney botched their UK launch and everybody had already seen Mando :facepalm:

Cheers Cas!

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this :)

thanks Cas - watched enjoyed it for what it is - MBB was fun to watch as always and i thought HC was quite good too - a probably better than expected 7 for me

Cheers for the review, watched this earlier today.

Probably a high 7 for me.

I really enjoyed the parts talking to the camera. Thoroughly enjoyable and not the usual Netflix dross. I agree completely that it needed trimming down, I didn’t notice it too much as I had nothing else to do on a rainy day, but it did lose a bit in the middle and could have been more refined.

MBB seemed perfectly suited to this role and really showed what she is capable of. As long as she doesn’t go off the rails like some young actresses have done, she could have a long future ahead.

I can see this being a good franchise for Netflix.

agreed i would happily watch more of this in a sequel

Cheers for the review, watched this earlier today.

Probably a high 7 for me.

I really enjoyed the parts talking to the camera. Thoroughly enjoyable and not the usual Netflix dross. I agree completely that it needed trimming down, I didn’t notice it too much as I had nothing else to do on a rainy day, but it did lose a bit in the middle and could have been more refined.

MBB seemed perfectly suited to this role and really showed what she is capable of. As long as she doesn’t go off the rails like some young actresses have done, she could have a long future ahead.

I can see this being a good franchise for Netflix.

Yes, agree, MBB absolutely nailed the talking-to-the-camera thing, which could have easily been just bloody irritating, but was probably a highlight.

Personally I loved it and found it quite charming couple of hours of my time. MBB utterly shines as EH with the supporting cast doing a bang up job supporting her .Some of the location filming is a joy to the eyes as is the period London backdrop . Production values i found up there with the best in the recent Holmes genre of films or TV .

Gets a solid 8 to 8.5 for me.

Hope it gets a sequel.

Last edited:
"Don't be put off by the expectation-moderating score, it's between a 6 and a 7 and if you like it, you'll almost certainly bump it up."
Has someone been moonlighting with the DfE for extra cash?

Only getting 1080p with this despite it being in Dolby vision.

We enjoyed it, a nice afternoon film to sit down and watch.

Only getting 1080p with this despite it being in Dolby vision.
I got dv on my apple TV 4k box but no atmos only 2 channel stereo

Very odd

A Fun film, that flies on the pure charisma of MBB, with a very nice supporting cast...it was also nice to see ‘Miss Jones’ (one for the rising damp fans lol) turn up for a decent part.
6.5/10

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom