Episode IX: IMAX or 4DX on opening day at Empire, London Leicester Square?

Dr.Rock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

While rushing against the crowds to grab whatever tickets I could for "Rise Of The Skywalker" for opening day at London Leicester Square (19/12/2019), I got five tickets for each of the following two screenings at the Empire for me and my friends, so we can decide together which screening would give us the best experience then I can cancel the one we don't want according to Cineworld's cancellation policy:

17:30 4DX 3D screening, seats D6-10 which are 4th row from screen (there are 9 rows total), centre of the screen, so quite likely best seats in the house.
20:00 IMAX 3D screening, seats L24-28 which are 3rd row from back (there are 14 rows total), close-ish to the middle of the screen (there are 61 seats across). No idea what the viewing and sound is like at this position.

So what do everyone on this forum recommend which screening we should keep, or are both screenings with our seating positions as good as each other? What is the viewing and sound like at our position at at IMAX screen? I know on these opening nights, the odd member of cast/crew sometimes come on stage to introduce the film. How likely will this happen with the new film since this is the final chapter in the saga and, when it happens, do the guest appearances happen on all screenings throughout the day or only at certain times (eg midnight and/or 20:00 screening)? From Phantom onwards, I've seen all the Star Wars films on opening evening around 20:00 at Leicester Square (either Odeon or Empire, whichever we could get tickets for) and we only had Anthony Daniels for Attack of the Clones at the Odeon. We're also looking at audience atmosphere as a deciding factor, people cheering, fans turning up dressed as characters. I only noticed costumed fans for Phantom Menace and wild audience atmosphere only for Phantom and Force Awakens, maybe because those were first films in their trilogy. Also the 4DX theatre is a smaller audience capacity (138) compared to the 650 capacity at the IMAX screen, so I guess the larger audience in the later screen would create a wilder atmosphere if they'll have that enthusiasm on the night.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom