Epson TW9400/7400 information

If THIS is the "newness" of the "Pro", then I would ask "what exactly is this new/better than what ATMOS had already from beginning?"; maybe is just the try that DTS makes to catch up the race that was already won by Dolby for some time now. (I'm not a Dolby or DTS fan, I like them both, please don't start to argue on this!)

Bit off topic now.... :facepalm:

DTS:X Pro maybe?!?!

Interesting and cool on tech front. Expensive new formats do trickle down though. However you also need the software encoded with the new format and even on the older DTS:X there's only a hundered or two in termsof blurays/uhds to buy!

Also being a object orientated sound format like Atmos you really need the encoded software rather than faux upscalling of the sound just to use the additional speakers!

Dedicated room here with 7.2.4 +2 wide fronts expanded from an old Yamaha Z9 as my power amp + Buttkickers, Clarke TSTs and Boss set-up and even *I'm* wondering if I really need any more speakers!!!

As for the TW9400 not having a new model for at least another year is pretty much what i expected with the rough two year model refresh history of Epson.
Native 4K will still be a lot more and i'm not sure i'm that interested in upgrading anyway. The TW9400 does pretty much everything I want and a year in i'm still blown away by the image quality

I wonder if object based it'a more on the decoding side than the encoding

I wonder if object based it'a more on the decoding side than the encoding

I don't see how it can be....How does the amp know where to place the object without being told?
The object steering is at a sound editor level, who then composes the soundtrack which i'd guess is relatively dumb, because the amp would have to pre-sample ahead to know where an object is moving?

Object based does not need to know how many speakers you have, they are worked out at decode time 5 speakers or 32 speakers etc that's the point of object based I think..........

I was up in the Movie room on Saturday night watching John Wick 3 and this thing throws a stunning image so I’m with you there @Alaric, why would I want more.

Last edited:
Wait until you see what it does with Ford v Ferrari.

I watched it on Saturday night meaning to grab a couple of shots on my iPad but was so engrossed by both the film itself and the quality of the picture I forgot :blush:

and even on the older DTS:X there's only a hundered or two in termsof blurays/uhds to buy!

But there are a lot of DTS HD Master blurays out there. Before setting up my 7.1.4 audio system, i was very skeptical about the Neural X. I could not belive that sending bitstream audio to receiver and using upscalling Neural X can be very convincing.

I was wrong. It's very good. Not as good as the native DTS X/Dolby Atmos but some scenes of the movies are really close to the real thing. Really I can't watch a bluray with it's native 5.1/7.1 anymore, I always press the ,,magic button'' to get more immersive sound experice.

Also I am very courious about your thoughts after you upgrade to 9.2.4 as this thing also crossed my mind.

I was wrong. It's very good. Not as good as the native DTS X/Dolby Atmos but some scenes of the movies are really close to the real thing. Really I can't watch a bluray with it's native 5.1/7.1 anymore, I always press the ,,magic button'' to get more immersive sound experice.

Also I am very courious about your thoughts after you upgrade to 9.2.4 as this thing also crossed my mind.

The expansion algorithms are certainly useful. I watch quite a few older bluray movies and often expand 5.1 up. I've also found that quite a lot of even older stereo discs often have DPL embedded in the soundtrack and i do wonder at times if some of the 7.1 mixes that are not actually Atmos, yet were mixed that way (as per credits) have more things going on with the sound and are just not lighting the Atmos flag on the receiver. I know that Atmos means it can down mix on the fly for less speakers, but if you don't need that and have the speakers for the channels how much difference is there???

As for 9.2.4 you can't quite spec that as they are not discrete channels, so it's 7.1.4 up mixed - My old Yamaha Z9 is a phenomenal receiver and a silly spec and price when released. It has a 7.1 input so in upgrading the cinema i used it as a power amp. Initially with a Nakamichi AV1 processor as a cheap and dirty way to get Dolby TrueHD / DTS Master. The EQ was tricky so i added a Dirac ddrc-88a in the mix. I've since changed to a Marantz 6011 which outputs 7.1 to the Yamaha via Dirac and handles the .4 Atmos power and eq via audessy and using the app you can disable eq for the 7.1 part - Ok i'm mixing EQ types but they don't overlap and short of getting a second Dirac and second power amp...

The Yamaha Z9 is also a little odd as it's one of the FEW that can dsp process the 7.1 inputs. I've had to disable a lot of the features in regards to the set-up. However it can still expand the 7.1 up to 9.1 with the Yamaha wide feature. This gives a more expansive front sound stage and since i'd already installed the speakers from old i do sometimes use it.

I've also a Mini DSP 2x4 HD which time aligns the dual subs. Because of the 7.1 Dirac it's a single eq'd channel, but arguably stereo subs are not really a thing and most processors just use an internal Y splitter for two subs anyway. It also feeds some buttkickers, tst's and a BOSS using BEQ because tactile stuff is fun :D

As for 9.2.4 you can't quite spec that as they are not discrete channels, so it's 7.1.4 up mixed
I think anything ATMOS / DTS:X is object based not discrete channel based, so I think even 7.1.4 is not specific channel based.
The clever person in the film / audio studio has a virtual room on his computer and they place a crash or bang somewhere in that room and ATMOS / DTS:X makes a note of where it is not which speakers it comes out of for 5.1 or 7.1.4 etc. It’s only at decode time a 7.1.4 or 9.2.6 or 32 or 128 speaker layout is decoded from the object based soundtrack. So going from any ATMOS setup say 5.1.2 to 9.2.6 to 16 speaker is pretty simple, your amp just needs to know where your speakers are and decodes the object suitably as you play the film. I’ve tried an Emotiva XMC-2 (16 channel capable) in my setup and it worked VERY well indeed filling in where ever I put extra speakers it was very natural and I was amazed how much better it sounded..

On the 9400, anyone think we'll get any firmware updates that could improved things, i.e. frame Interpolation? I swear FI was better on my 9200, especially for 3D !

I watched it on Saturday night meaning to grab a couple of shots on my iPad but was so engrossed by both the film itself and the quality of the picture I forgot :blush:
yep, excellent picture on BD disc

On the 9400, anyone think we'll get any firmware updates that could improved things, i.e. frame Interpolation? I swear FI was better on my 9200, especially for 3D !

Not seen a firmware update since 4th of feb 2019 - I occasionally check the Epson site. I think because the 9400 was a fairly iterative update of the 9300 that they'd ironed out most of the bugs and issues with the earlier model which had a much more often firmware update release trying to get it up to speed with HDR.

I watched Yesterday over the weekend and that for me is a true "wow" moment in terms of PQ...looked amazing and hopefully a standard that will become the norm !

Don't know why the thread became "information" at some point.

These are amazing. What kind of screen and gain did you have?

It’s a cheap QualGear white screen with a quoted 1.2 gain but I believe it’s closer to a true 1.1.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom