Epson TW9400/7400 information

anyone done the new firmware update yet? If so anything different? I might try it tonight if I get a chance
Updated yesterday evening.
Used it for a couple of hours, I did not notice any change.
First I though HDR (high lamp mode) is quieter, but I think it was only placebo...
Calibrated settings and everything else remained intact. I guess it’s only a subtle update. Would be nice to receive some notes from the manufacturer reg updates

So roughly an inch gap between unit and wall. Well that’s probably the bare minimum you could have with an optical HDMI anyway.

Probably best to use a shelf in this situation where it’s easier to remove and put back up when doing things like firmware updates etc.

Yep, as I'll find out tonight when I update it!

The shelf was originally bought for my Epson TW3200, but has housed all the projectors since. I was lucky it just fits on that shelf!

I did it yesterday but didn’t get a chance to check out.
Hi @Luminated67 , just tried the firmware update, did it take long for the standby light to turn back to blue? The instructions state that it might still be updating?

Hi @Luminated67 , just tried the firmware update, did it take long for the standby light to turn back to blue? The instructions state that it might still be updating?

Not a computer guy so when trying to transfer the zip file to the USB stick I was mistakingly unzipping it so when I first plugged it in and followed the procedure the projector started, run for about 10-12 seconds and then turn off again. Once I got the son to transfer the file correctly I turned off the plug, I plugged in the USB stick and then held down the power button on the projector whilst switching on the plug. It very quickly began the download and was completed in about 1 minute tops though mine didn’t power back up again as some say it does. Once completed just check the menu and projector info to see if been completed and the new software number is installed, should end in 103.

It reported that the update has improved HDR which I believe might be true, I rewatched The Last Jedi and to be honest I reckon the whole image looked better and frankly it’s not a great copy to begin with IMO.

All sorted thanks. It didn't power up again as the instructions stated, I eventually had to power it up myself. All appears as it should be though, with the firmware ending in 103 as you say. :smashin:

All sorted thanks. It didn't power up again as the instructions stated, I eventually had to power it up myself. All appears as it should be though, with the firmware ending in 103 as you say. :smashin:

Might be my eyes and ears playing tricks on me but see if you think it’s a little quieter and handles motion I bit better too.

Might be my eyes and ears playing tricks on me but see if you think it’s a little quieter and handles motion I bit better too.
I’ll listen and look out for it. :smashin:

Just done firmware update....spotted a dust blob I've not seen before :(

How bad is it? I actually wonder where Epson stand on this? From what I understand it's rare to come across dust blobs with the new machines...

How bad is it? I actually wonder where Epson stand on this? From what I understand it's rare to come across dust blobs with the new machines...

They will fix it - Epson are apparently very good with repairs - but what concerns me is that you get a different unit, hence throwing out any calibration you’ve had done.

It was bad enough for me to spot it straight after the FW update ! I'm not sure if its because I did the update that then brightened the blank screen so it stood out straight away....fuzzy green blob on the right hand side of the screen. In fairness I don't see it during a film, or when one of my presets are being used, as it lessens the brightness of the screen so when its darker you don't really see it. Not sure I really want to send it off to Epson to clean it, but I may look into it and ask them if they do it.

Otherwise, like others have said the image and colours seemed to pop a little more after the update, but it could've been me thinking I was seeing it !!

I need to watch some of the same movies to be 100% sure but I’ve watched a full movie now after the firmware update and I have come to a few conclusions. E-shift has been tweaked or they done something with the optics because there’s less pixelation and everything appears smoother without losing any of its crispness. Definitely brighter and as I already mentioned I think the motion is a bit better though the jury is still undecided on that one.

IMHO this is a better machine now than the one I bought to begin with.

I need to watch some of the same movies to be 100% sure but I’ve watched a full movie now after the firmware update and I have come to a few conclusions. E-shift has been tweaked or they done something with the optics because there’s less pixelation and everything appears smoother without losing any of its crispness. Definitely brighter and as I already mentioned I think the motion is a bit better though the jury is still undecided on that one.

IMHO this is a better machine now than the one I bought to begin with.

Oooh Interesting. I've just downloaded the firmware and updated the FAQ - I'm probably about to go do the update, but will have to go through things at another point as dinner is in the oven and I've just not really been using the cinema much due to "new" oled (LG C6 55") in the living room and using the laptop for zoom and chat and virtual parties - I'm normally a social bunny and keeping my head good after furloughing myself the other month has been the priority - That and the hot weather does nothing for the loft style room at the top of my 4 story house - I *MAY* have a split portable aircon solution though!

OK so am trying to update my Firmware and the instructions aren't clear.

I have a known good USB Drive
I've formatted it to Fat32
I've unzipped and copied the BIN file to the root of the USB

Is that correct? Because when I try the firmware update I get all indicators on for about 12 seconds then Projector switches off :(

Is that correct? Because when I try the firmware update I get all indicators on for about 12 seconds then Projector switches off :(

It's got to be a clear drive, nothing else on it by what i recall. I seem to remember FAT working and generally better to not be a posh make with hidden security features - 44mb so doesn't need to be a big drive either if you have an old simple, cheap drive, give that a try - I just used the one i used last time as I had it to hand. Hardest thing was finding the power button to hold down whilst i plugged the power in!

Yep that’s exactly what I’ve done.

32gb Kingston Data Traveller hardly a high end drive. Full Fat format not a quick format. Copied the .Bin to the root.

plugged it into projector. Plugged power cord back in whilst holding power button down. Blue and two purple lights come on. Let go of power button... 12 secs later turns off.

Yep that’s exactly what I’ve done.

32gb Kingston Data Traveller hardly a high end drive. Full Fat format not a quick format. Copied the .Bin to the root.

plugged it into projector. Plugged power cord back in whilst holding power button down. Blue and two purple lights come on. Let go of power button... 12 secs later turns off.

Might be worth trying FAT as the rest of it sounds fine. I seem to recall mine being fussy the first time and I think that's what I did

Same here. Must be something stupid we're doing wrong.

This very thing happened to me and what I had actually done (according to my son) was accidentally unzipped the file prior to transferring to the USB stick.

If it’s not that then the only other thing he did different was delete everything else off the stick and only have the Epson file on it.

Where from mate? I’ve been waiting for places to get them back in stock.
Richersounds cost a bit more then others i found on the web but 6 year guarantee and they have a store local to me so any problems i can take back with out the need to post it off somewhere
I had a good ring round yesterday they where the only ones who had any in stock was told by most that the shipment to Epson will arrive on Monday and most stores should have them by friday
Its out the box and on the ceiling but thought i would do this software upgrade the others above are talking about i to am struggling to get it to upgrade at the mo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom