EQ vs Room Correction

vroomr

Novice Member
Reaction score
On my Denon 750, to use the equalizer or make an old-fashioned bass/treble adjustment, I have to switch off Audyssey MultEQ room correction. The only way to make equalizer-type adjustments and still have MultEQ in effect is via Denon's Audyssey app. My question: do other receiver brands with room correction also have this either/or limitation?

The features you relate to are specific to Audyssey. Turn Audyssey off and you'd lose the ability to use Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamix Volume..

If you are modifying or changing the EQ curves then you are obviously no longer using the curves as set by the receiver in response to the calibration. You can copy the results of the calibration to the manual configuration for modification though.

What speacific features are you referring to which you brlieve you've lost? You cannot simultaneously apply the room EQ curves at the same time as apply modefied curves you've adjusted manually. You are changing adjustments to the ciurves the AV receiver determined due to the calibration.

But I can modify Audyssey's curves by using the app, and still have MultEQ and Dynamic EQ in effect. I'm not asking how-to; rather, I'm just wondering if other brands of receivers & room correction work the same way. Put another way, I find that the app, while exceedingly effective, is cumbersome and I just wonder if a different AVR would've met my needs in a simpler fashion.

BTW, the last entry on this page tells you what gets turned off by going manual:

No, other systems have their own pecularities. Most will allow you to copy the curves resulting from a calibration and allow you to manually modify them though, but you'd then be using that curve as opposed to the curve that resulted from the calibration. Also note that speaker levels, distances and the bass management have nothing at all to do with the room EQ correction.

Using a corrected curve to modify the EQ and then a curve you've modified or created yourself at the same time is a contradiction in terms. You either use one or the other and you cannot apply the corrections to modifications you've made. The modification replace the calibrated EQ corrections.

Don't regard the EQ curves as being a means by which to alter the timbre and or tone of the receiver to suit your tastes. It it were not for room EQ correction then the manufacturers wouldn't be inclusing any means by which to modify the EQ curves.

You would not even have needed another brand, just a different model from your AVR-S750. The Denon X4200, for example, would have permitted application of tone controls to adjust the results after Audyssey, without your needing to disable the Room EQ.

Not surprisingly, tone controls can not be used together with Dynamic EQ - the intrinsic conflict makes this a logical contradiction.

An ancillary question: anyone know how to duplicate a curve in Denon's Audyssey app? You know, save the original and work on a copy…

There's also this thread which discusses the Audyssey app in more detail:

Last edited:
.....I'm just wondering if other brands of receivers & room correction work the same way. Put another way, I find that the app, while exceedingly effective, is cumbersome and I just wonder if a different AVR would've met my needs in a simpler fashion.
You could always download ARC Genesis from Anthem to see how another one works. Fully functioning demo (albeit doesn't take real measurements but dummy ones)
ARC: Downloads
An ancillary question: anyone know how to duplicate a curve in Denon's Audyssey app? You know, save the original and work on a copy…
Save a (renamed) copy to google drive.
Retrieve the copy file from drive and then use that instead of original.

Open the app, press edit top right and the calibration files flash, press the one you want to copy and then press the + top left and it creates a copy with original name and copy 1. Don't press the bin just to the left of the + or you delete it instead. If on Android you can drag and drop onto a computer using a data cable. On apple you have use a cloud service or email.

As a matter of interest I have a Denon 3500 h and can copy the flat curve to the manual eq, this is the centre channel
20200824_185241.jpg

This is supposed to be the flat curve, the other channels are all over the place as well, is there any info here that can be used in the app to create a better curve. I don't have rew and speakers can't be moved for various reasons. Thanks.

The ciurve you've copied is the corrections required in order to get a flat response relative to the room in which the calibration was done..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom