Ex display OLED advice

dawson001

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently returned a 65 inch Sony XH9005 as unhappy with picture quality, I'm now considering going down the OLED route.

Price is a factor as I've just moved house but my local retailer has an ex display 65 inch LG C9 for £1699 or a 65 LG E9 for £1799.

Cautious about them being ex display but they assured me they come with 5 year warranty (excluding screen burn) and that they have never displayed static images and always ran there cleaning cycle. They have also said I could return it within 14 days if not fully satisfied.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts

I personally would avoid ex demo if the warranty doesn't cover screen burn.

In addition to the well documented burn in which results from static images/logos, some burn in issues could be more accurately described as 'burn out' which is caused by use of any kind and is a pixel life issue. It is most often seen toward the centre of a display due to this area being most intensively used. Warranty cover of this issue is variable.

The other factor is that shop floor displays are run at maximum brightness for sales purposes. You'll be buying a TV which has been intensively used for long periods of time, and with a warranty that is unlikely to cover the issues that this usage causes.

I personally would avoid ex demo if the warranty doesn't cover screen burn.

In addition to the well documented burn in which results from static images/logos, some burn in issues could be more accurately described as 'burn out' which is caused by use of any kind and is a pixel life issue. It is most often seen toward the centre of a display due to this area being most intensively used. Warranty cover of this issue is variable.

The other factor is that shop floor displays are run at maximum brightness for sales purposes. You'll be buying a TV which has been intensively used for long periods of time, and with a warranty that is unlikely to cover the issues that this usage causes.
Thank you for your thoughts.

I didn't know if there were any tests I could do to check for any issues whilst in the 14 day return period

Thank you for your thoughts.

I didn't know if there were any tests I could do to check for any issues whilst in the 14 day return period
Burn in issues can only be tested by time and hours on the display. Typically it takes 18 months or so of normal household use before issues start emerging.

Avoid them at all costs in my opinion, certainly at that price. OLED's degrade over time, so an ex display will have been on full vivid/brightness mode day in day out, so the chance of burn in and/or other issues will be increased for you. Maybe if you're only planning on owning it for a couple of years, risk it.

It really depends on the shops usage. If they use static slides on the TV with advertisements and they don't turn the TVs off every 4 hours the chances of the pixels dying sooner is going to be a lot greater than if they show a video loop on the TV and make sure they turn them off every 4 hours.

The prices for those ex-display models aren't too great anyway. On current pricing the LG B9 or Philips 7 series are better bang for buck for new, as is the Panasonic GZ950.

If you want to save money on new retail prices a safer bet would be buy refurb:
Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread (Sony AG8, AG9) - 1 year standard, but you can call to pay for 5 on top.

Bargain - Panasonic refurbished eBay store thread (Panasonic GZ950, GZ1000, GZ1500) - 1 year standard.

Alternatively, wait for 2020 models to come down in price. If you want the most future proof option since the C9 has all but sold out new, is to wait for the CX price to drop.

Th
It really depends on the shops usage. If they use static slides on the TV with advertisements and they don't turn the TVs off every 4 hours the chances of the pixels dying sooner is going to be a lot greater than if they show a video loop on the TV and make sure they turn them off every 4 hours.

The prices for those ex-display models aren't too great anyway. On current pricing the LG B9 or Philips 7 series are better bang for buck for new, as is the Panasonic GZ950.

If you want to save money on new retail prices a safer bet would be buy refurb:
Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread (Sony AG8, AG9) - 1 year standard, but you can call to pay for 5 on top.

Bargain - Panasonic refurbished eBay store thread (Panasonic GZ950, GZ1000, GZ1500) - 1 year standard.

Alternatively, wait for 2020 models to come down in price. If you want the most future proof option since the C9 has all but sold out new, is to wait for the CX price to drop.
Thanks Dodge!

I was also considering the Panasonic Gz950 but as a gamer and lack of VRR and 120hz 4k features I wouldn't be happy. How do the GZ1000 and GZ1500 perform compared the LGs?

Are any of the Phillips OLEDs a viable option?

The GZ1000 is the same picture quality but with a different aesthetic design. The GZ1500 is the same as the GZ1500 but with a soundbar.

The Philips 7 series is priced well right now. 8 series is not...although maybe Costco have a better price on that.

You're out of luck really for HDMI 2.1 now. Its a bad idea to buy a TV now on the premise of using it with a HDMI 2.1 device in the future anyway. Wait until you buy a HDMI 2.1 source device first, and buy the TV later as then you can return the TV if it doesn't work.

1699 is not good enough. we got a 65'' c9 from costco for 1499 i think. basically i'd take an ex display but it has to be a good price.. aka 1k.

Had an ex-display LG OLED from Curry’s last year - looked ok in store and I was given a few hundred off the already decent sale price. As soon as it was home though I started noticing massive burn in on certain colour scenes in movies, etc where it had been run 12 hours a day on maximum brightness / contrast. Thankfully Curry’s said sorry, accepted the panel was wrecked and took it straight back for a full refund.

I now compare ex-display OLEDs with second hand underpants - they might be a bit cheaper, have been cleaned and look ok from a distance but I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom