Quantcast

Question Excellent repair tech people for AV gear

LuvCVs

Can anyone tell me where a center is that repairs AV gear? AV amps, Subwoofers etc etc
I have searched high and low and can't fine a single place that can actually do this but a few shops that can I do not trust as it seems they don't have a clue on what to do first.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
You'll be lucky to find anywhere these days. We live in a throwaway society - a situation almost entirely engineered by the manufacturers who would of course prefer you to buy a new device.

LuvCVs

I have a great tech guy down here in cornwall, but he only repairs stereo amps, speakers, vinyl and tape decks etc etc. No AV gear :(

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Depends what’s wrong with it. A subwoofer is, after all, just a single channel amplifier.

An AV receiver is essentially a bunch of amplifiers hooked up to a computer.

I guess it depends what the fault is.

If he’s keeping himself busy enough with two channel stuff, you can understand the reluctance to mess around with more complex things though.

LuvCVs

I have 2 Yamaha YST-SW800 subs, both plates have blown power pcbs and amplifier output stage blown, 1 hqas had the PSU part repaired but not the other.

LuvCVs

Seems such a simple fix, yank faulty components, put new components in, get maybe another few years at least out of them. But no-one will touch them as they say "repair costs about £180 each" but I say that is fine, then never hear back from them.

It must be a time consuming job, but, if I was a repair tech guy I'd be pleased to help someone to get there kit repaired.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Without doubt component level repair is a dying art. Most engineers these days are only working down to board level - unless it's an easy and documented component fix.

The issue is that the repair might well fail again quite soon after and most customers would expect a warranty fix, thus wiping out any profit on the job.

Electronics engineers expect a high level of remuneration these days, as they are in short supply. A good B-TEC qualified engineer with 2 years experience could expect a minimum of £26K plus overtime and bonuses as a starting point and degree level engineers working on industrial equipment in design and maintenance could expect £40K+ after a few years. This makes the hourly rate for repairs quite expensive for disposable consumer goods.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I run a Restarters project here in the Borders - I don’t see one in Cornwall but do see a couple of Repair Cafe’s, might be worth contacting and ask if they can help you out.

Joe

Top Bottom