Question Excellent repair tech people for AV gear

LuvCVs

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where a center is that repairs AV gear? AV amps, Subwoofers etc etc
I have searched high and low and can't fine a single place that can actually do this but a few shops that can I do not trust as it seems they don't have a clue on what to do first.

You'll be lucky to find anywhere these days. We live in a throwaway society - a situation almost entirely engineered by the manufacturers who would of course prefer you to buy a new device.

I have a great tech guy down here in cornwall, but he only repairs stereo amps, speakers, vinyl and tape decks etc etc. No AV gear :(

Depends what’s wrong with it. A subwoofer is, after all, just a single channel amplifier.

An AV receiver is essentially a bunch of amplifiers hooked up to a computer.

I guess it depends what the fault is.

If he’s keeping himself busy enough with two channel stuff, you can understand the reluctance to mess around with more complex things though.

I have 2 Yamaha YST-SW800 subs, both plates have blown power pcbs and amplifier output stage blown, 1 hqas had the PSU part repaired but not the other.

Seems such a simple fix, yank faulty components, put new components in, get maybe another few years at least out of them. But no-one will touch them as they say "repair costs about £180 each" but I say that is fine, then never hear back from them.

It must be a time consuming job, but, if I was a repair tech guy I'd be pleased to help someone to get there kit repaired.

Without doubt component level repair is a dying art. Most engineers these days are only working down to board level - unless it's an easy and documented component fix.

The issue is that the repair might well fail again quite soon after and most customers would expect a warranty fix, thus wiping out any profit on the job.

Electronics engineers expect a high level of remuneration these days, as they are in short supply. A good B-TEC qualified engineer with 2 years experience could expect a minimum of £26K plus overtime and bonuses as a starting point and degree level engineers working on industrial equipment in design and maintenance could expect £40K+ after a few years. This makes the hourly rate for repairs quite expensive for disposable consumer goods.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom