Excellent statement by David Milliband

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to the house of commons
Ed Miliband statement to the House of Commons | The Labour Party

During this period the house must stand together united in a common cause to stand firm against these rioters, many of which are not the poor that some on the left have claimed, but simply wrong doers hell bent on creating misery for others.My sister lives in Croydon and is in a state of anxiety ,anger and despair.No one should have to live like that .`i ask what is wrong with the core of Britain?

My sister lives in Croydon and is in a state of anxiety ,anger and despair.No one should have to live like that .`i ask what is wrong with the core of Britain?

Pretty simple, no real detterant via the justice system anymore. I'd even entertain your Scandinavian holiday camp ideals for prisons if it meant these scumbugs were no longer walking around. Although hard labor is more my cup of tea.

severe penalties are the only way to maintain order

eventually when things are much worse people will finally accept this simple truth

A liberal democracy and rule of law have somewhat been at odds with each other in recent times. That's the problem here, this country is too soft on crime. We need to toughen up and start looking after the interests of the good, honest people of Britain (regardless of wealth or background), not pandering to the criminal element, nor being apologists for their behaviour.

Makes you wonder what the heck has happend to this country

So what did Ed's brother say?

Edit: LGS, you misattributed the statement in your topic title.

Last edited:
to the house of commons

During this period the house must stand together united in a common cause to stand firm against these rioters, many of which are not the poor that some on the left have claimed, but simply wrong doers hell bent on creating misery for others.My sister lives in Croydon and is in a state of anxiety ,anger and despair.No one should have to live like that .`i ask what is wrong with the core of Britain?

What did Blair do as Prime Minister for Ten Years to mitigate these issues?

Scorpion88

la gran siete said:
what has Blair got to do with the riots?

Isn't it all Thatcher's fault,..??

Pretty simple, no real detterant via the justice system anymore. I'd even entertain your Scandinavian holiday camp ideals for prisons if it meant these scumbugs were no longer walking around. Although hard labor is more my cup of tea.

I was on holiday when all this happened but watched it on the news. The one thing that struck me by the end of the whole sordid affair was the total effectiveness of CCTV in identifying many of those involved. Many people have bemoaned the advent of the UK's 'BIG BROTHER' CCTV in town and city centres, but recent events have completely vindicated them IMO and I think it is this technology, more than any woolly, liberal political ideal, that will prove the real deterrent in the long run. Images of the perpetrators have faces been blown up and pasted around the areas where they committed their crime, their faces have been flashed across the news and the countries population has watched ( with some satisfaction I suspect) as the forces of law and order have battered down the doors of those involved and treated their property with the same disdain they showed on the high streets a few night earlier.

to the house of commons

No more than stating the bleedin' obvious. Doing something about it would be excellent; not having created the environment in which that happened would have been even more excellent, but that was completely beyond the Labour governments of 13 years that wilfully wrecked the country.

No more than stating the bleedin' obvious. Doing something about it would be excellent; not having created the environment in which that happened would have been even more excellent, but that was completely beyond the Labour governments of 13 years that wilfully wrecked the country.

Like what,eh? What have the Tories ever done other than create mass unemployment which breeds the kind of resentment many of these people feel anyway?:rolleyes:At least Labour attempted to get unemployment down.

Isn't it all Thatcher's fault,..??

to the extent that the naked greed and selfishness that pretty much took hold during her era then ,yes we can at least blame the creed that followed her name - thatcherism (or reagonomics in the USA)

to the house of commons

........i ask what is wrong with the core of Britain?

I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with the core of Britain. It can be so pleasing at times to have a day when one meets only nice, pleasant people - and all seems at peace in the world. Every so often though, one gets reminded of the realities of life.

I was born and brought up in the London Borough of Croydon, and visit the area reasonably often. I still have family in the area - so sympathise with anyone that lives there. There's a lot going for the area, but it can be so depressing to see the way some of the dregs of society act when one is out and about - particularly on public transport during evenings. I often think how much nicer it would be if these oiks were not present. I'm sure the local economy could do even better.

I'm not convinced these problems have anything to do with any political party (or politician) either. I certainly haven't felt influenced by either political party that has been in power since I was born. The fact that I left school with almost no formal qualifications was down to me - not Wilson/Heath/Callaghan.

la gran siete said:
Like what,eh? What have the Tories ever done other than create mass unemployment which breeds the kind of resentment many of these people feel anyway?:rolleyes:At least Labour attempted to get unemployment down.

Most of the kids involved in the riots were probably in nursery the last time the Tories were in power, so unless they've all of a sudden become politically aware in the last 12 months then this one is Labour's doing.

what has Blair got to do with the riots?

You will find coalition fans will blame previous Labour prime minsters because they are either to ashamed to admit the coalition has already messed up or just want the coalition to never be kicked out.

To late since the coalition is already causing riots, protests

GAZBEROTTEN said:

:Suicide:

You will find coalition fans will blame previous Labour prime minsters because they are either to ashamed to admit the coalition has already messed up or just want the coalition to never be kicked out.

unfortunately the tory supporters are too thick to even begin to grasp that notion.
They cant see the Government is hell bent on undermining the principles of the NHS by introducing privitisation by stealth
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/04/nhs-health-bill-andrew-lansley

GAZBEROTTEN said:
Cheer up mate wont be long before people will of had enough of the coalition and will then give them the boot.:smashin:

GAZBEROTTEN

What will Labour do if they get back in power at the next election??

Where will all the money come from??
:confused:
Sidicks

You think the government wont find ways to get the money they need?

Trust me dude i know what i am talking about. You dont have to agree with me or may think i havent a clue what i am talking about but the government hides a lot from the people.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom