ExpressVPN for routers. Bypass geo-blocking for any device.

Lofthouse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
If you need to bypass Geo-blocking for a streaming service from another country, this is the very user friendly solution I have found.
ExpressVPN have firmware that you can load onto one of the supported routers - it has to be the router only version as I found out the hard way by getting one with a built in modem and the firmware wouldn’t load.
So I went for a Linksys WRT-3200acm it’s a bit ugly but pretty powerful. Loaded the firmware on it (easy) and now I can select any device on my home network to connect to a VPN and leave everything else as normal. Using your tablet or phone just pick a location and a device and it will connect in a couple of seconds.
This allows you to use apps on a Smart TV or streaming box and connect them to servers in the USA and all over the world to unlock content.

6D1D098F-93AB-4DF1-B366-A8791707A759.jpeg
FD1B1E66-99DB-4448-B1E9-F28169D2B82E.png
4AF52D8F-8EAF-4599-AC74-0BDB12F3699E.jpeg

Last edited:
Its a waaaaaay more complicated and expensive solution than simply using a SmartDNS service such as unblock.us But of course, if it works for you, then great!

Its a waaaaaay more complicated and expensive solution than simply using a SmartDNS service such as unblock.us But of course, if it works for you, then great!
SmartDNS issues drove me to this. When it worked it was fine, tried two different providers different issues with both.

A couple of Nvidia Shields seems to circumvent the problem also. Thankfully, you can install ExpressVPN on the device itself. However, as NatTheGooner is tied into the Apple framework it's his only option.

The one US service that gives me a problem is Peacock TV, once they discover your using a VPN, they block that server.

A couple of Nvidia Shields seems to circumvent the problem also. Thankfully, you can install ExpressVPN on the device itself. However, as NatTheGooner is tied into the Apple framework it's his only option.

The one US service that gives me a problem is Peacock TV, once they discover your using a VPN, they block that server.
I’ve been watching Peacock regularly for a few weeks - not had an issue yet, and there are about 20+ US servers to choose from on ExpVPN. Just trying out HBO Max on the free trial too, the new Witches movie is on there and it’s pretty weird for a kids film.

Last edited:
Yep, seen that. I quite enjoyed it.

HBOMax seem to be ditching the Gift Card option of subscribing. You could use a HBONow card and redeem it towards your HBOMax Sub. Apparently, they now accept PayPal if you sign up the correct way.

Yep, seen that. I quite enjoyed it.

HBOMax seem to be ditching the Gift Card option of subscribing. You could use a HBONow card and redeem it towards your HBOMax Sub. Apparently, they now accept PayPal if you sign up the correct way.
I subscribed through iTunes (US).
Are there any other streaming apps I should look out for?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom