Question ****EXTREMELY URGENT**** How to identify parts replaced by Yamaha Service Center.

apoorvasheth

Standard Member
Reaction score
Respected Experts,

Hello! This post is very much urgent as I need quick information on this. Off-lately, my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier stopped functioning as the Red Power light did NOT show up upon switching ON the amplifier from the wall socket. I sent the amplifier to a Yamaha Authorised Service Centre in my city on 26th August 2020 close to 12.00pm for pre-checks.

On 02nd September 2020 at 2.40pm, he finally concludes that it is a very much higher possibility of Tata Sky Set top box connected to this Yamaha RX-V685 amplifier to create a reverse HDMI Leakage issue which has damaged most of the internal components of this RX-V685 Amplifier.

He also mentioned that they have received many such complaints of Yamaha Amplifier getting damaged mainly of those customers who had Tata Sky Set top box connected to their Yamaha Amplifier in their house & same happens to be in my case too hence he concludes of a "higher possibility" of Tata Sky box to be the major reason for these internal components damages though nothing can be proved in actual as this is just his assumptions.

So anyway'z, coming back to my real point, he said these 3 major parts need to be replaced:

1) Power Supply
2) HDMI PCB
3) Display PCB

He gave me an XYZ cost of these 3 parts & I approved it. So he ordered for these 3 parts which were shipped from one of the Yamaha main warehouse to his service centre & this entire process of ordering - receiving & parts replacement took him almost 10 days so I smell something fishy.

The service centre owner sends me Parts replacement quotation on 02nd September 2020. He orders & receives the parts & completes the replacement job (as "He says" that he replaced) by 11th September, 2020 so I am very much suspicious on this whether - "HAS HE ACTUALLY REPLACED THESE ABOVE MENTIONED 3 DEFECTIVE PARTS WITH THE ORIGINAL BRAND NEW FUNCTIONING PARTS RECEIVED FROM THE YAMAHA SERVICE CENTRE OR HAS HE JUST DONE CHIP LEVEL REPAIRS & FOOLED ME BY SAYING THAT HE HAS STRAIGHT REPLACED THE PARTS?????"

If the parts were to be just "Straight replaced" than, how come it can take 11 days (which includes shipping of these 3 parts as well from another city to my city in same country) for him just to straight replace the parts with no repair work involved?????
And this is exactly what's being creating negative doubts against the Yamaha Service Centre owner in my mind.

So I STRONGLY NOW SMELL that this Yamaha Service centre guy has most probably cheated me.

He has received these above mentioned 3 brand new parts from Yamaha Service centre & which I feel he has kept it with him. Next, he has done all "Chip level" repairs of all the 3 parts but tells me that all the 3 original parts received has been replaced & now the amplifier turns ON. But, I "May Be" wrong on this.

Now my question to you all experts on this forum is:

Q1) HOW SHOULD I CHECK THE SERIAL NUMBERS OF THESE 3 Parts - POWER SUPPLY, HDMI PCB & DISPLAY PCB which were received as Brand new parts at his Yamaha Service centre?

Q2) HOW "I AS A LAYMAN WITH VERY LIMITED TO NO TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE" CONFIRM THAT THESE 3 PARTS WHICH ARE RIGHT NOW SEATED INSIDE MY YAMAHA RX-V685 ARE ACTUALLY BRAND NEW FOR SURE & NOT BEING REPAIRED B'COZ IF I SEE FROM THE TOP THROUGH THE AIR VENTS, IT APPEARS TO BE NEW AS THERE IS NO DUST ON IT BUT IT IS NOT EVEN ROCKET SCIENCE FOR THESE SERVICE CENTRE PEOPLE TO CLEAN IT WITH SOME SAFE SOLUTION & MAKE THESE PARTS APPEAR AS IF THEY'RE BRAND NEW???

Also the bill (kindly refer the enclosed picture) he provided contains the word: "Repaired" & not the actual word "Replaced" so here is what turns my doubt of maybe into for sure being cheated but again, I need to be 100% sure on this part.

Sorry for typing few words above in CAPS but I need more attentions on these statements.

Any quick help here will be very much appreciated!

Regards,
Apoorva.

20200917_061049.jpg

Last edited:
First of all welcome to the forums

If your receiver works then forget it and move on!

He didn't spend 11 days fixing it we can agree on that, but you fail to see he had other things to fix and in the following days fixed your receiver. He is not just sitting there waiting for your parts to arrive

If it is still eating away at you mark all parts with a marker pen for if it goes down again

You could ask for the replaced parts to be sent to you at your cost though my guess is he has disposed of them by now

"reverse HDMI Leakage issue" sound like some fairy story tbh

Simply ask them for greater detail and more clarity. You've a perfect right to ask for more information if you are paying them.

Not sure how you'd verify what they tell you without paying another electrical engineer to examine the receiver though?

Is the problem you had rectified? If so then they repaired the receiver in accordance with the quote they will have given you prior to starting the repair.

The service centre is very unlikely to be attempting to defraud you. Yamaha would remove their authorised status and this would cost that company far more money over the long term than you paid for the repairs in question.

As to having to wait for parts, where do you think they are made and do you think that the supplier had them in stock already? Some people have towait months to get parts for some AV receivers. If not fitting anything new then why the delay and why would they not simply bill you and take you money. WEre they awaiting the boss's birthday?

Service centres very rarely give detailed explanations as to the work that was done, simply because the person doing the work is the person given the task of writing the report. He's an electrical engineer and not an admin assistant or a secretary. The explanation you were given seems quite detailed compared to some I've read.

Last edited:
"reverse HDMI Leakage issue" sound like some fairy story tbh

Try running an electric current into an AV receiver via any of it HDMI inputs or outputs. The AV receiver will basically suffer the kind of damage it is being suggested it sustained. Why would they need to create a spurious story that had utterly no credibility?

Last edited:
Simply ask them for greater detail and more clarity. You've a perfect right to ask for more information if you are paying them.

Not sure how you'd verify what they tell you without paying another electrical engineer to examine the receiver though?

Is the problem you had rectified? If so then they repaired the receiver in accordance with the quote they will have given you prior to starting the repair.

The service centre is very unlikely to be attempting to defraud you. Yamaha would remove their authorised statue and this would cost that company far more money over the long term than you paid for the repairs in question.

Thanks to you & everybody else here for their quick response. Well, the issue is that they are not ready to offer a one year warranty or an assurance atleast on these 3 replaced parts so I feel that possibly they would have kept the 3 brand new parts with them & repaired these 3 parts at chip level else why wouldn't they offer atleast 1 year of warranty on these three brand new parts.

And no point of showing it to 10 different people (as my Amplifier is not a kid's playing "Toy" for them to play around with) who will do nothing but experiment on my Yamaha Amplifier & make its condition even much worse than what is presently is at b'coz these outsiders are not authorised trained Yamaha Music technicians so I have to believe in what the Yamaha Authorised Service centre guy said.

And yes I really hope that's the way it is as you mentioned above - removing their authorised statue & that they have genuinely replaced the parts instead of repairs. The problem is that we the customers give them the Amplifier & it comes in front of us back in our house only once the job gets complete. Hence these doubts get raised in mind b'coz he is not ready to give any sort of warranty...forget about a year, he is not ready to give even 1 day of warranty which clearly means if anything goes wrong again with this amplifier than again pay huge expenses to get the amplifier back on track. Hope you will understand my anxiety due to this lack of assurance given by the Yamaha Music Authorised Service Centre.

And no, I haven't rectified anything.

All they told me that "possibly" the capacitors inside the Tata Sky Set top box has thrown back reverse current which lead to HDMI Leakage issue damaging various components inside it which they found out during their investigation process and that he has received similar numerous complaints from different customers wherein their Amplifier stopped to function all of a sudden & they all had Tata Sky Set Top box.

Regards,
Apoorva.

Try running an electric current into an AV receiver via any of it HDMI inputs or outputs. The AV receiver will basically suffer the kind of damage it is being suggested it sustained. Why would they need to create a spurious story that had utterly no creadability?

Being a qualified RF engineer, I'm well aware of what happens, it was just the terminology, if that was a direct quote from the engineer I would be very worried with such a phrase used and perhaps one of the reasons the original poster is concerned

Same problem when your car is fixed or serviced. How do we know the mech has actually changed the parts...
The question is, do you think the repair cost is excessive?

Do you still have the Tata box? If so it could happen again.
By the way, I dont understand ' reverse current leakage through HDMI' . It could be due to isolation between the incoming data cable and box? Anyway, you should ask what needs doing to stop it happening again.

Being a qualified RF engineer, I'm well aware of what happens, it was just the terminology, if that was a direct quote from the engineer I would be very worried with such a phrase used and perhaps one of the reasons the original poster is concerned
I've had to use increasingly simple language when dealing with none technical clients so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this.

Contact your local Yamaha office and confirm if there is a known issue with the Set-top box you mention - you don’t need to say anything about the repair at that stage.

Replacement components - would be a relatively easy spot for anyone who lifts the lid (with all power disconnected) and any degree of experience with equipment service.

Known issue - the main worry now, if you have a working AVR, is how to avoid a repeat of the issue if the Set-top is the Source of the problem and you have had ‘like for like’ parts replaced in the AVR, I would want to replace the Set-top or consider how you can isolate the AVR from a repeat problem.

Joe

Hello All,

I just need some more help. There is a picture attached - Can you kindly confirm whether the highlighted area of a part inside this Yamaha RX-V685 amplifier is called as "Transformer" or "Power Supply"? There is a 2nd image attached in which one can clearly see little color has worn off & some scratches as well at the bottom right.

Now, the owner of the Yamaha Service Center said that he has completely replaced 3 parts to get this Yamaha RX-V685 back on track & one of these parts were Power Supply. However, if the brand new Power supply was installed than how can the color get worn out so quick or scratches appear when this replacement of parts happened just few weeks back?

So, I have a feeling that while I was being told about Power Supply being completely replaced with a brand new but such color worn out & scratches tells otherwise so have they actually done the replacements of parts or not or just fooled me just b’coz I wasn’t present in the service center or the replacement done in my house right in front of me.

Such incidents really shaken up the trust & confidence of any customer in such service centers & their work inside god knowns what they do?

However if the Power supply resides under this off-white color cover which if it is known as Transformer than I have no other choice but to believe that the replacement of Power Supply was indeed done but again there is a catch...if the Power Supply is under the off-white color cover & was replaced than won’t the outer cover replaced as well? Its all so very much complicated.

Seriously, I feel time has come wherein every consumer on this earth does self learning & self repairs after buying any high end expensive electronic products which includes 55inch or above HDR TV, expensive Cell phones, etc... b’coz service center sincerely does their jobs just cannot be trusted!

Thanks to everyone for your time & patience in going through my queries & responding in timely manner.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 19.55.15 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 19.55.15 (1).jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 101
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 19.55.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 19.55.15.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 103
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 10.41.48.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 10.41.48.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 108
The transformer and the PSU (power supply unit) are the one and the same thing. It is however technically speaking a transformer, but will be referred to as the units PSU.

It's unlikely the power transformer would have been replaced. More likely the circuit board that the transformer feeds it's output voltage(s) to.

So this clearly means that the Yamaha Service Centre has fooled me in the name of complete replacement of Power Supply Unit & charged me for the replacement parts. If this is the thing than I am very much sure he hasn't replaced any of the 3 parts mentioned above in this post.

Can't believe an Authorised Service Centre which is the "Last & Final" place to believe & trust - they too resort to such cheating business...)-:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom