F1 2020 Review

I really enjoyed 2019 after a break from them for a couple of years and they do seem to continually improve the experience. While not out and out sim level, it brings enough depth while still allowing you to pick up and have fun without hours and hours of practice.

Anyone had their Game preorders shipped yet?

Yes got the special, and it did ship. Happy days

Just ordered the Schumacher edition which Amazon is bringing around tonight. Never played F1 before and only really switch the Xbox on once a year but at 65 quid will definitely play this. My only hope is that Bernie Ecclestone is nowhere to be seen :eek:

Just ordered the Schumacher edition which Amazon is bringing around tonight. Never played F1 before and only really switch the Xbox on once a year but at 65 quid will definitely play this. My only hope is that Bernie Ecclestone is nowhere to be seen :eek:
Why would Bernie Ecclestone be in it?

Why would Bernie Ecclestone be in it?
Because he’s everywhere, or at least he was.

Im hoping you get to see Toto Wolff and the Spice Girl husband.

Any ideas how this will run on the new Xbox Series X? Do you think we'll get 4k 120fps or 8k 60fps?

My sons been playing this since Tuesday, will get my copy later in the month.

Im hoping there's a lot of updates planned because the Ferrari is way too fast, the Racing point is way too slow etc. Even if they based it off pre season testing they should have adjusted that stuff. I'll excuse them for the colour of the Merc cars for now.

Still its disappointing to see how jerky the cars are animated when they come out of the garage and enter the pits. They haven't updated those animations since 2010 I think. Im guessing it'll be another 30 years before you can drive in the pit lane and stop on the mark when gridding up for the race - full manual control option.

I often feel they do the minimum amount of work for the yearly update as they can. As long as we keep paying. Wish there was some competition - if only they licensed F1 games to two companies or something.

They have only said it will be backwards compatible but nothing on how it will run.
I really doubt we will see even 4k60 on most titles on the new consoles, as most developers seem to be focused on delivering additional image quality over frame rate.

Just downloaded f1 2020 and had a quick blast with the pad looks great and smooth as usual, will try with the wheel at the weekend. One ting I didn’t like last year was the cockpit view with halo bar in the middle so always had to remove that. Are people using cockpit or,tv pod view mainly?

I really doubt we will see even 4k60 on most titles on the new consoles, as most developers seem to be focused on delivering additional image quality over frame rate.

Just downloaded f1 2020 and had a quick blast with the pad looks great and smooth as usual, will try with the wheel at the weekend. One ting I didn’t like last year was the cockpit view with halo bar in the middle so always had to remove that. Are people using cockpit or,tv pod view mainly?

Doesn’t it currently run at 4k60 on Xbox one x?

Doesn’t it currently run at 4k60 on Xbox one x?
I’m playing on PS4 Pro currently as my son has the Xbox version downloading, and am sure it’s a smooth 60FPS, but not sure if it’s native 4k (Looks great though). I think the point of the article is that devs seem to be aiming to spend the budget of the new hardware on effects such as ray tracing rather than ensuring frame rate goals are prioritised . Hopefully games will look better but I’d expect similar frame rates to most current titles, at least in the majority of AAA releases.

I only ever use the cockpit view and I leave the halo bar on.

I’m playing on PS4 Pro currently as my son has the Xbox version downloading, and am sure it’s a smooth 60FPS, but not sure if it’s native 4k (Looks great though). I think the point of the article is that devs seem to be aiming to spend the budget of the new hardware on effects such as ray tracing rather than ensuring frame rate goals are prioritised . Hopefully games will look better but I’d expect similar frame rates to most current titles, at least in the majority of AAA releases.
I also bought it on the Pro and it's running really smooth, the cars handle really well in this version.

New patch dropping today. This is 1.02 not 1.03 that other platforms are currently on. Not sure why xbox will be a version behind. I read somewhere that xbox currently is missing the aero package which gives 1.5% extra downforce.

Last edited:
I’m not a huge F1 fan now days and don’t know much of the rules or technical side of things but I am absolutely loving this game, one of the best driving games I have played. I started career mode in F2 put difficulty level to 40% and finding it perfect for me as I am performing fastest laps at times and challenging top 7 while the pack behind me are not too far behind.

i have gears on automatic, damage on full and races 25% love the sense of speed in the car and waiting for the opportunity to overtake although I have hit cars a couple of times luckily I still been able to finish the race. AI is good at defending etc only negative they all seem to follow the racing line so here are about 10 cars in one straight line but other than that I not experienced any game crashes or bugs so far. I would definitely recommend this game

F1 has been a good games series for the XBOX 360 and then XBOX One, with (mostly) welcome updates each season.

Personally, my interest in F1 has declined considerably since the introduction of the Halo device - I'm in favour of the enhanced safety it brings, but its spoilt the lines of the cars, and obstructs the view of the drivers, and for some reason I just find it a barrier to enjoying the sport as a spectator - I still play F1 2017 every now and then which is still a great game.

Regards,
James.

F1 has been a good games series for the XBOX 360 and then XBOX One, with (mostly) welcome updates each season.

Personally, my interest in F1 has declined considerably since the introduction of the Halo device - I'm in favour of the enhanced safety it brings, but its spoilt the lines of the cars, and obstructs the view of the drivers, and for some reason I just find it a barrier to enjoying the sport as a spectator - I still play F1 2017 every now and then which is still a great game.

Regards,
James.
If you are interested in trying F1 2020, you can turn off the halo in the settings.

I'm having weird issue on the retro championship mode. I'm getting slowed down by yellows as I come to the finishing line and everyone overtakes me! I've had no previous warnings of time penalty or anything

Been playing this game on/off when I get free time, playing on Stadia and my 2013 MacBook with Xbox controller.

The AI is probably the best I've played in any game, did a short video of how close the racing is, am in Ferrari. Its fantastic fun :)

I notice on YouTube that graphics for the bottom right graphics info panel
The one you can select to see car condition etc is different to my one in game
Mine is rectangular and white info, on YouTube its stretched out black with the info but also engine lights etc.

Is this a setting I can change to or are the videos old builds?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom