F1 British GP (Race 2, 70th Anniversary) 7th - 9th Aug '20

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British-round-2.jpg

Channel 4 Highlights

Saturday Qualifying 7:30pm-9:00pm

Sunday Race 6:30pm-9:00pm

Are they sticking with the softer tyre options for this race? Might make for a slightly more interesting strategy if so.

I hope the Hulk actually gets to run this weekend!

I do not think the review will lead to the tyre choice changing, unless it goes to safety

Either it was track debris or the teams will be issued with further guidance about lap limits and needing to pit. Meaning race 2 will be two or three stops?

Gonna be a two stop surely?

I agree, but the safe operating limit, if we mean number of laps, may well be sufficiently different enough between teams that it's probably not as simple as saying "Use them for 25 laps and then pit". It'd potentially result in a lot of whining - "we could have run longer safely but you made us come in and that ruined our race!".

Or to spice it up make them have mandatory tyre inspections in the pits every 10 laps... :rotfl:

It'd have to be a hard limit for all teams, besides the teams who don't waste energy whining about it will find a way to make extra pit stops work for them.

A cruise through the pit lane every 10 laps would be quite funny, Pirelli technical peeps with flags to say who can leave the pits and who needs to change tyres with the FIA stewards vetoing.

Surely instead of modifying the circuit they could have just redefined track limits, e.g. "stay on the tarmac or you'll get a penalty", with a handy "Keep Off The Grass!" sign as a reminder...

Aren't they supposed to be world class drivers, capable of placing a car to the nearest millimetre on the circuit? Or maybe they'd like something similar to bowling lane bumpers to make it easier for them. :rotfl:

Last edited:
They should just put up a wall like Monaco. No track limit issues there

Still think sprinklers is a good idea :devil:

Renault's protest is upheld :eek: It does show that as discussed at the time going for the brake ducts (which are now listed parts) was the right approach. Now I imagine Racing Point's appeal is already winging it's way to the FIA.

Elsewhere I wonder if we might get a third Silverstone race. Pringle has said to Joe Saward they can (they'd cancel the event that's planned for next weeked). The ELMS has moved it's event at Barcelona (at the end of August) to Paul Ricard due to Coronavirus. If quarantine measures get escalated between France and Spain then there's no way the trucks will be able to get there (ferries probably not an option for the amount that'd need to be moved).

Finally looking forward to this, Sky/F1 7 part series coming in September...

Last edited:
Crikey, that's a big article to squint at on my tablet! Will have to skim that when back on a PC with a decent screen.

First addendum point says "points standings are to be amended". Haven't read enough to see what the other consequences are - I'd imagine there's a chance that RP have to stop using the parts? If so do they have an alternative to fit?! Or do they just suck up the penalties and carry on for the rest of the season with dodgy bits fitted?

Crikey, that's a big article to squint at on my tablet! Will have to skim that when back on a PC with a decent screen.

First addendum point says "points standings are to be amended". Haven't read enough to see what the other consequences are - I'd imagine RP have to stop using the parts?

Now I've read it a bit more looks like they'll still run them due to the nature of the decision.

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 10.23.51.png

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 10.29.47.png

They haven't been DQd as you'd expect becasue it was a breach of the sporting not technical regulations so this seems to be a penalty for shortcutting the design process rather than running an illegal car. Maybe they think this halfway decision by penalising RP but not banning their ducts will put an end to the matter.

Last edited:
Three teams appealing the Racing Point settlement. Ferrari have some brass, disclose what was in the engine settlement about whether Ferrari were running a legal engine instead of hiding behind "protecting IP"

Nah, the race up front will be spoilt by having dominant Mercedes cars in the lead... :rotfl:

Although a part of me hopes that tyres do throw a spanner into the works, leading to an interesting/unexpected race result!

Nah, the race up front will be spoilt by having dominant Mercedes cars in the lead... :rotfl:

Although a part of me hopes that tyres do throw a spanner into the works, leading to an interesting/unexpected race result!

Its just going to be a tyre saving two stop race considering the softer compounds and track temp . Fully expect three stops for certain ( Ferrari) teams on tyres .

seb n Hulk 2021 at RP/ Aston Martin ? Lance as reserve driver 🤔 .

Well that was a turn up for the books. Expected Mercedes to struggle a bit with the heat+softer tyre combo, but not to that extent. I was shouting at the screen for them to pit Hamilton on the second stint :blush: , but they clearly knew something we couldn't see, on tyres that looked like they'd rip to shreds any second. Max drove a pearler. Similar weather conditions forecast for the Spanish GP in a weeks time, but harder tyres.

Noticed a number of faux pas after the race regarding the supposed tight covid measures. People wearing masks under their noses and opposing team principals shaking (with bare) hands.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom