Facts that make you go wow!

Exemplar

Ex Member
Reaction score
Me first..

I did not know that Park Hill Estate in Sheffield (the streets in the sky) was designed with 'street interaction' in mind. And to that end the walkways were wide enough to drive (!!) a delivery truck or milk float along. Please see pic below with said vehicle...

upload_2014-9-10_12-58-18.png

I grew up on a council estate called Park Hill. Fact.

Edit: That guy in the window looks like he means to do harm.

Fact: I live not far from said 'Park Hill ' estate :(

Regarding the myth that you swallow up to 8 spiders in your sleep during your lifetime...

Fear not. This "statistic" was not only made up out of whole cloth, it was invented as an example of the absurd things people will believe simply because they come across them on the Internet.

In a 1993 PC Professional article, columnist Lisa Holst wrote about the ubiquitous lists of "facts" that were circulating via e-mail and how readily they were accepted as truthful by gullible recipients. To demonstrate her point, Holst offered her own made-up list of equally ridiculous "facts," among which was the statistic cited above about the average person's swallowing eight spiders per year, which she took from a collection of common misbeliefs printed in a 1954 book on insect folklore. In a delicious irony, Holst's propagation of this false "fact" has spurred it into becoming one of the most widely-circulated bits of misinformation to be found on the Internet.
[/i/]

Fact: 50% of the population are of below average intelligence :confused:

I got £30 per bathroom installed during the park hill flats renovation project, which were used as accommodation for the athletes during the world student games.. Horrid job..

Fact: It would be possible for a human to travel to our neighbouring galaxy within their own lifetime if they could get sufficiently close to the speed of light.

^^^ What Canis major, surely not.

^^^ What Canis major, surely not.
Was thinking andromeda actually - nearest spiral.

Can I get a 'wow! " (the first? :p )

NO you can't :p, there is no way that is possible, its way too far away.

Wow indeed :D

It's 2.5 million light years away so at the speed of light would take 2.5 million years to get there. Back to the drawing board?

Even Canis Major is 25,000 light years away and that doesn't really count as it's considered to be part of our galaxy.

Last edited:
Canis Major is a galaxy, a satellite of ours but still a galaxy afaic.

You could borrow that shuttle craft off Voyager do warp 13 and hit Andromeda in approx 100 years so if you went at birth and lasted that long then its possible to go to Andromeda, WOW :rotfl:.

The closer you go to the speed of light, the slower time passes for you. So from the point of view of someone on Earth, yes it would take millions of years. But from *your* point of view, you could do it in a few decades if you hit a high enough percentage of the speed of light.

So you could do the round-trip in say 80 years your-time, but the earth would have moved on 5-million years.

Go on...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom