False Imprisonment Poland

dropped it (the money) and , showed him (the taxi driver) where it was , I'm not defending the Dubai authorities , but , more to this than meets the eye ......
My point was more about wanting to be paid compensation for spending 20 hours in custody vs being stuck (rightly or wrongly) in Dubai for 2+ years
:)

dropped it (the money) and , showed him (the taxi driver) where it was , I'm not defending the Dubai authorities , but , more to this than meets the eye ......

definitely..... i mean the authorities can be massive massive assholes but in my experience of living over there if youre not a dick and keep your head down you are pretty much ok. Used about a million taxis and never had an issue.. in fact found nearly all of them quite chatty about where youre from and so on.

Of course that doesnt justify Dubai's 5-O from reacting that way but most know how it can be over there. Not worth the risk for giving the guy an extra 10aed in my opinion.

Horrific experience, and so glad it worked out well.
IMHO it was a very harsh/quick, but thankfully quickly resolved way of learning an extremely valuable lesson which, due to it's shocking nature will be of great value to you for the rest of your life as you will never forget this.
You NEVER transport/carry ANYTHING that is not your's and that you have personally packed.

The courts are probably full of people who have been used as mules to unwittingly, transported illegal items.

I myself had to be on a jury a few years ago, where a guy was stopped and found to have drugs in his case, and it turned out, the fancy place he was staying in, had servants who packed his bag for him.

Glad it all worked out well, but a great lesson for yourself, and all those around you and those reading this to be aware of, when travelling.

thanks, and I think you’re right. I always thought I was quite alert and savvy but it made me realise just how on your guard you need to be.

Agreed - Terrible situation and sounds frightening more than anything, but what do you require compensation for?

Who should pay the said compensation?

Nothing personal against you OP - but this culture of claiming compensation/money for any/every situation these days is ridiculous.

Someone I know tried to claim compensation for a poor meal at a restaurant one evening. They got a huge discount on the meal already, he then wrote to the head office claiming that it had ruined his anniversary weekend with his wife and they felt that they were due compensation for the emotional anguish caused. It's just ridiculous these days.

Bad experience, move on with life.

totally agree and believe me I never claim for anything, I just wondered if I could get something back for all the distress. I am undergoing CBT therapy at the moment as it is and needed this like a hole in the head.

What was in the bag? Why exactly were the police involved at all? Where did the police get a photo of you carrying the bag? What are we missing here?

An old coat, some empty wrappers and some loose change, that was it. the more I think about it, the more ludicrous it is

damn, must have been a rough time 👎
where was the taxi drivers bag before the police arrived? just in someones room?
crazy he didn't just come and ask for it back

Thats exactly what we thought and why we feel it was done intentionally, although I don’t know what he was hoping to get out of the situation... bag was in our room, in a corner and un touched

Definitely get an Uber instead of a Taxi next time 😂

I’m very surprised about the heavy handed police intervention. I can imagine the holiday was ruined after that ordeal.

Definitely get an Uber instead of a Taxi next time 😂

I’m very surprised about the heavy handed police intervention. I can imagine the holiday was ruined after that ordeal.

yes mate, very much so! Was suppose to be going to Zakopane for some snow and mountains but couldn’t because I was still being detained!

totally agree and believe me I never claim for anything, I just wondered if I could get something back for all the distress. I am undergoing CBT therapy at the moment as it is and needed this like a hole in the head.

sorry to hear that , there's a thread going on if you want to have a wander in and vent , I don't think you have been in there yet .....

yes mate, very much so! Was suppose to be going to Zakopane for some snow and mountains but couldn’t because I was still being detained!
Oh that is a fantastic place, shame you missed it. Not trying to play down the ordeal, but that story of when “grandpa” spent time in a foreign prison will impress the grandchildren one day a lot more than snow on beautiful mountains 👍😂

sorry to hear that , there's a thread going on if you want to have a wander in and vent , I don't think you have been in there yet .....

thank you mate, I’ll pop over to that thread and have a read

Oh that is a fantastic place, shame you missed it. Not trying to play down the ordeal, but that story of when “grandpa” spent time in a foreign prison will impress the grandchildren one day a lot more than snow on beautiful mountains 👍😂
Aha, yes I hadn’t really thought of it from that perspective :)

It seems like this taxi driver was a real jerk, or this was intentional for some unknown reason. After he discovered his missing bag, and then calling the police, and then the police arriving at your place of stay and opening the bag, wouldn't he realize nothing was missing (correct?)? At that point any sane person would realize the mistake and just call it a day? Something very odd there.

So if I'm reading this correctly, there was you and eight others making nine in total, presumably each one of you having your own bag.

So, you took ten bags out of the boot, for nine people, and you didn't realise that something was wrong?

When I go on 'lads weekends' with my mates we all get out of the taxi and get our own bags, and we'd certainly know if there was an extra one appeared out of nowhere. For one thing, the extra bag would still be on the pavement without an owner because we would all have our own bags.

Seems that you and your friends just want to put the blame elsewhere instead of where it squarely belongs, ie, with you and your party.

Last edited:
So, you took ten bags out of the boot for nine people and you didn't realise that something was wrong?
No, the taxi driver offloaded all their luggage (no mention of how many bags) including a bag of his own.

Thus the initial blame lies with the taxi driver, if you must apportion blame.

Just noticed this point
We had know idea of the existence of this bag until the police arrived at the hotel the following evening.
So someone took the bag that they knew wasn’t theirs back to their room?

No, the taxi driver offloaded all their luggage (no mention of how many bags) including a bag of his own.

Thus the initial blame lies with the taxi driver, if you must apportion blame.
No, No and thrice NO!
THis is a problem ENTIRELY of their own making. It is, in fact, a non-problem.

Nine people somehow get ten bags between them. Why did it take until the next evening for them to notice and only when the police arrived?

Someone must have taken a bag into their room that they knew wasn't theirs! Why not just ask reception to ring the taxi firm and get them to pick it up? Why not just say to Reception that we've picked a bag up by mistake so can it be left here in case someone rings to ask if a bag has been found?

OK, the guy didn't deserve 20 hours in a police cell but it could have been VERY EASILY avoided by using a bit of common sense but no, as usual, I've done something wrong but it's somebody else's problem not mine.

We don't know how many bags they had :p:laugh:

That's not the point and you know it.

THEY should have known how many bags THEY had and should have done something about it straight away when they discovered an extra one (or a different one) that didn't belong to anybody!

It should never have become a problem in the first place! Complete numpties!

That's not the point and you know it.

THEY should have known how many bags THEY had and should have done something about it straight away when they discovered an extra one (or a different one) that didn't belong to anybody!

It should never have become a problem in the first place! Complete numpties!

I'll hire you for my next holiday, as travel organiser or PA. One less thing to worry about.

Come on, suitcases are friggin nightmare. My missus takes loads of different bags with her on holiday, if I don't keep an eye on it. And who can be arsed to check how many bags each person, has. I certainly would not be counting, just grab the bags and go.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom