Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
This is a fantastic disc for sure, pure eye and ear candy. I enjoyed the movie too and thats coming from someone who doesnt really like the Potter movies. :censored:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I experienced some banding issues about 32 minutes in when Colin Farrell and the young boy are down the very dark alleyway. Did anyone else suffer this?

Hopfully i Get my next week, if it aswell isnt lost in transit from Amazon o_O

Saw it at the IMAX & loved it, just bought the 3D copy with the rather awesome free book from Tesco.
3D was the best I've seen at the imax and I read the disc also has great 3D but I will also be buying the UHD after what I've read about the transfer.

I watched this twice at the cinema with my 9 year old child. The first time in 3d and the second viewing in 2d.
The 3d presentation was fantastic, probably the best that I have seen at the cinema and it really enhanced the movie. It was still very enjoyable in 2d on the second viewing but the 3d was awesome.
I shall purchase this on 3d blu-ray as it's a great way to watch this movie and it is a very good film. I bet the uhd presentation is stunning but I am not privileged to the joys of 4k as of yet.
Enjoy the movie and thanks for the review Simon.

Can I please suggest that you don't abandon reviewing 3D blu rays in favour of Ultra HD blu ray? There are still a number of us that prefer 3D.

The Mrs loved this but i though Eddie Redmayne mumbling his way through the film totally spoiled it, Colin Farrell was a bad choice too, story and other performances are fine.

Maaaaaaassive Harry Potter fans but not this.

Can I please suggest that you don't abandon reviewing 3D blu rays in favour of Ultra HD blu ray? There are still a number of us that prefer 3D.

yes it seems an insane senario, that movies at the cinema are still being released in 3D as well as bluray, yet no TV 2017 screens have it, to watch..utterly ridiculous

Last edited:
The Mrs loved this but i though Eddie Redmayne mumbling his way through the film totally spoiled it, Colin Farrell was a bad choice too, story and other performances are fine.

I enjoyed the film but I agree with you, really not sure about Redmayne's performance in this although I think we are in the minority.

I am not a huge Colin Farrell fan to start with, but he does seem a little miscast in this, I feel he suits grittier performances better.

I might double dip on this - does the 3D have atmos?

The 3D is great but i found it to be VERY dark (even with tweaked settings) and also no atmos on the 3D so sticking with the 4K for this one

I'll now have to watch the film twice....For 3D and Atmos! :D

I'll now have to watch the film twice....For 3D and Atmos! :D
I bought both because the 3D at the cinema was so good! But also had to watch it in 4K as it sounds like a reference disc

I think you'll find it wasn't Redmayne that was mumbling it was Newt Scamander! Pretty sure that Newt is a bit of a shy recluse and that's how he's supposed to speak.

Anyways, onto the review.... I may well be picking at newts...nits I mean ;) but how can you say this:

There is nothing digital to complain about, indeed the transfer from the pristine source is immaculate. Stunning.

and this

so the picture is stunning; detail is absolute, colours are bright and bold with a strong black level and astonishing whites.

And then 'only' give it a 9 for picture quality but give 'The sound is every bit as good' a 10?

Finally got to watch this and overall it's very good PQ, however I did notice a couple of scenes around 1:06 (rooftop scenes) looked odd with a strangely lacking contrast and overly dark murky appearance especially in the faces. May be my TV settings but from one camera angle looked fine and then every time it switched to the other camera viewpoint it looked off.

Not a huge potter fan but really enjoyed the storyline. I watched the uhd version and was very impressed with the transfer. The HDR was some of the best I have seen. Reference quality imo.

(rooftop scenes) looked odd with a strangely lacking contrast and overly dark murky appearance especially in the faces

Same - one camera angle was (dull/murky) and the other reverse camera angle was bright and clear (and it switched 2 or 3 times between the camera changed).

I just watched it on the Panasonic 58" DX902, and many scenes were extremely bright. My eyes couldn't handle it, and I had to close them. I dropped the backlight to 50%, but it was still too bright. Then down to 10% which solved the brightness problem, but then made the PQ far too dark. May have to watch the Blu-ray in future :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom