Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Saw it in IMAX yesterday and agree with most of what you have said Cas. As long as you remember this is the F&F universe and that the rules of physics don't apply, then the action is entertaining and grin-inducing. This is one F&F film that doesn't need an extended edition as you say and it's a bit hit and miss in places, but overall I really enjoyed it. 7.5/10

It's a huge bit of leave you're brain at home fun. 7 for me

Thanks for your review Cas,

I saw this two days ago and the place was packed with F&F enthousiasts so the expectations where high...
All in all I can say this is a fun movie and it has some nice action scenes in it to make it all entertaining to watch.
Could it have been a little shorter or maybe better written , sure, but that doesn't change the fact that this is what it is....a summer popcorn movie that requires leaving your brain at the door.

I'm giving this a solid 8.0 because it did the job for me as someone who likes the Furious movies a lot !!

Please. Please make these awful movies stop. Please.

I'm surprised at you Cas ;) but I guess you are doing your due diligence by not letting the fanboy override the reviewer so well played sir.

Anyway I liked this film a lot. I think that you might be a little harsh on the "story" but at least you say there is one. Other reviews say that there is no story at all which is silly. It's a threadbare skeleton put in place to link put downs, action sequences and copious mentions of "family". But this film does have something other's don't. It has a beginning, a middle and an end...... and then another end. How many films can say that!

Fun 8/10 for me.

P.S.
With the plausible (for F&F) backstory, we might (just might) be able to add the name Shaw onto that hallowed list which includes Conner and Ripley. Absolutely Kick-A**.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone say Tango & Cash.... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cinema trip for me now!! :clap:

Did someone say Tango & Cash.... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cinema trip for me now!! :clap:

It could have easily scored an extra point by being a 15. Imagine a 12A Tango & Cash. It's such a missed opportunity to get the guy who did some of the most realistic movie fight choreography of our generation in Wick and Atomic Blonde, and tell him he's gotta use Bourne edits to pull it in under the ratings banner.

Flipside, Statham, even in his 50s, is still the damn Transporter (and I'm talking 1 and 2 here, not 3).

It's such a missed opportunity to get the guy who did some of the most realistic movie fight choreography of our generation in Wick and Atomic Blonde, and tell him he's gotta use Bourne edits to pull it in under the ratings banner.
To be fair that did annoy me from the get go. But I think it looked especially bad in the close combat scenes early on. Many of the later scenes were melee fight scenes so it didn't seem to be obvious.

I understand that not watching movies that you don't like is an option

You don't have to get haemorroids to dislike haemorroids. With some things their mere existence is enough. :rotfl:

This film should be shown to keanu...this is how you fight as an old man
Saw matrix the other night and came out thinking I wish he could still kick like that
;)

Thanks for the Review, Cas. Shame the Director has been forced to pull the punches (pun intended) to get the required rating. And, 135 minutes? Phew!

You don't have to get haemorroids to dislike haemorroids. With some things their mere existence is enough. :rotfl:
not sure that is entirely a fair analogy...

perhaps if you give Vin and co your contact details he can consult you to advise why they should stop making movies that keep making $1bn at the box office?

I was going to comment on the poster pondering Hattie's relatively poor position on there. Especially considering her major role in the film. But then I Googled the full size poster and there it's more like a 2/3 shot rather than just a head shot. The relative sizes obviously make box office sense. But the random placement of the other woman actually makes Hattie's placement look worse, especially in the cut off version used here. Just a thought.

I was going to comment on the poster pondering Hattie's relatively poor position on there. Especially considering her major role in the film. But then I Googled the full size poster and there it's more like a 2/3 shot rather than just a head shot. The relative sizes obviously make box office sense. But the random placement of the other woman actually makes Hattie's placement look worse, especially in the cut off version used here. Just a thought.

Ah, if I'd used the other poster, I wouldn't have been able to squeeze in the shot of the Apache dragging a truck through the sky (it's on the LHS of the other poster). And, as much as I love Kirby, that helicopter/truck shot was a little more reflective of what you're going to get; i.e. it's nonsense, defies logic, but is ridiculously OTT entertainment (hell it's not even an Apache in the movie, which shows you the 'artists' who photoshopped the hell out of this were clearly thinking the same thing).

Ah, if I'd used the other poster, I wouldn't have been able to squeeze in the shot of the Apache dragging a truck through the sky (it's on the LHS of the other poster). And, as much as I love Kirby, that helicopter/truck shot was a little more reflective of what you're going to get; i.e. it's nonsense, defies logic, but is ridiculously OTT entertainment (hell it's not even an Apache in the movie, which shows you the 'artists' who photoshopped the hell out of this were clearly thinking the same thing).
Nice lol! They wrote a nice part for her and she played the hell out of it so I was looking only at one aspect, but once I saw the full picture it made sense. In the recent past, a lot of arguments could be ended by just seeing the full picture. Not anymore.

Anyways, fun film, spot on review, nuff sed!

Saw it today. I thought the first 2/3rds' were pretty tight, but the last section felt a bit flabby/indulgent. And this is from a huge F&F fan.

Solid 7/8 from me though. Better than Aquaman and Alita.

EDIT: The picture quality in screen six of my local vue (i.e. not one of the premium screens) was very very good/excellent, with the sound being ok. Very impressed by the pic quality, so high hopes for the home release.

Last edited:
Was really enjoying this up until the third act, excruciating slow and painful build up till the finale. To me it just get dragging on and the films budget seems to have been used up and the action sequences were very low key in the final 25 mins.

3/5 - Could have been better but not a disappointing entertainer either.

As somebody who is not invested in the F&F franchise (watched part of the first and didn’t bother after that) I thought it was a good entertaining and fun film.

I really enjoyed Hobbs and Shaw at my local iSense and thought it was a laugh, especially the banter between The two main characters. The sound was great, the picture looked good, what not to like? I view movies like this just like comic books, they’re just fun entertainment. I really don’t see why people get all negative about stuff all the time. Life’s too short. :)

I really enjoyed Hobbs and Shaw at my local iSense and thought it was a laugh, especially the banter between The two main characters. The sound was great, the picture looked good, what not to like? I view movies like this just like comic books, they’re just fun entertainment. I really don’t see why people get all negative about stuff all the time. Life’s too short. :)

Or like a more outrageous, bigger budget The A-Team. :)

Or like a more outrageous, bigger budget The A-Team. :)

Sounds more & more like the perfect Movie for a break (Which they still do in Germany for some long films, at some Cinemas, at some showings - do they still do that in the UK?)

Anyway
- Beer
- Take a Beer in
- First Part
- Interlude, go get rid of the previous Beers, buy another to take in
- Second Part
- Leave, go & have a Beer
Perfect! :beer:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back