FIFA Womens World Cup 2019

They beat Sweden 2-0 in the group stage. The Netherlands weren’t that much better than Sweden and found Japan hard work.

Assuming that they all play as they have been doing, USA will walk over The Netherlands.

Reckon England were the second best team in the competition, and a close second.

However, hoping the step up and rise to the challenge and give The USA a good game.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not sure whether I was imagining it but the US team seemed to play with a strategy - power play for period, then period of cool down keeping procession, then back to power play.

Seemed to enable them periods of hitting hard during which it made England look poor, but not get shattered.

England by comparison seemed to be running a lot without the ball, becoming exhausted for little benefit.

Having said that, the USA have appeared to tail off in all of their tougher matches, with the opponents having the advantage but running out of time. I’d say that was true of the England, France and Spain matches - had they gone on longer I think all three would have equalised.

England will rue that penalty miss - I think if they had converted that, there is every chance they would have been in the final, with a good chance of winning. USA seemed to be on the back foot - but of maybe USA would have just stepped up a gear.

Cheers,

Nigel

We definitely seem to prefer work rate, effort, athleticism and "putting a shift in" in our football, and leave the fancy footwork, slow build up and flashy tricks to the sneaky foreigners. Which is probably why we always seem to come up short internationally, both men and women.

And you're right; the women seemed to resemble headless chickens at times, just running around madly to little dangerous effect. The US team just seemed so much calmer than us, or maybe it was just confidence and belief?

We definitely seem to prefer work rate, effort, athleticism and "putting a shift in" in our football, and leave the fancy footwork, slow build up and flashy tricks to the sneaky foreigners. Which is probably why we always seem to come up short internationally, both men and women.

And you're right; the women seemed to resemble headless chickens at times, just running around madly to little dangerous effect. The US team just seemed so much calmer than us, or maybe it was just confidence and belief?

I wouldn't say headless chickens, just a bit panicky at times.
It didn't help that the main central defender was playing in a game above her skill level and that was particularly noticeable in this match and the last one.

I agree that England probably were the second best team and should beat Sweden quite easily. Not that anyone really cares about the pointless 3rd/4th match.

USA will walk all over Netherlands.

The team that frustrated the americans the most were spain because they parked the bus

If the Dutch do the same I can see the americans getting frustrated and the game being tougher then many on here think

It's how the swedes dumped them out of the Olympics. England and France believed they could beat the Americans in an open game

That was their mistake

Not that anyone really cares about the pointless 3rd/4th match.

It would have been interesting if France had beaten USA because then the 3rd/4th match would have been playing for a place in the Olympics. But as it is, I agree, who cares.

Cheers,

Nigel

The team that frustrated the americans the most were spain because they parked the bus

If the Dutch do the same I can see the americans getting frustrated and the game being tougher then many on here think

It's how the swedes dumped them out of the Olympics. England and France believed they could beat the Americans in an open game

That was their mistake
I'm personally quite pleased we went at them rather than playing ultra defensively. Nice to have a bit of pride in our national team's approach.

We nearly nicked a couple of goals and it showed we have the potential to take the next step up in a few years. Also made for a much more exciting game.

Well it shows that you can be totally classless and still win, noticeable when they were 2-0 up and still tried to con the referee for a penalty, they may be the best women's team by a mile but any good sportsmanship is completely lacking, spanking a no hope team like Thailand as they did at the beginning and celebrating every goal like it won the world cup was not an auspicious start, but I guess they simply do not care as they won.

And it is not me being sexist as anybody who has seen my posts knows how much I despise the way football is about cheating the referee and your opponent and win at all costs in the men's game, it is not the beautiful game anymore but I thought the "fairer" sex might prove me wrong and they did not.

Maybe it is a generalisation but it would seem whenever the Americans take part in any sport against other nations they do not have any problems with cheating, bad behaviour or outright rudeness, see the Ryder Cup, Mosconi Cup and now World Cup.

Apologies if I offend anybody in any way. :D

I think that was the most British complaint I’ve ever heard!:laugh: “Outright rudeness”!:rotfl:

That’s probably why England will never win anything. When you have your foot on an opponents neck, you finish them off, you don’t release the pressure because it’s unsportsmanlike.

I watched a lot of games over the tournament, and the USA weren’t the only team out to con the referee for a penalty, England and Scotland included. And if outright rudeness is high on the agenda, let’s talk Cameroon!

I also thought Phil Neville’s comments after getting pumped by Sweden and calling it a ‘nonsense game’ was as rude as you can get.

The magic waistcoat didn’t work, and was about as classless as any of the USA’s exploits.

I see the american woman are demanding the same money as the men's team lol

Although I enjoyed Alex Morgan twerking
After the game.

I think that was the most British complaint I’ve ever heard!:laugh: “Outright rudeness”!:rotfl:

That’s probably why England will never win anything. When you have your foot on an opponents neck, you finish them off, you don’t release the pressure because it’s unsportsmanlike.

I watched a lot of games over the tournament, and the USA weren’t the only team out to con the referee for a penalty, England and Scotland included. And if outright rudeness is high on the agenda, let’s talk Cameroon!

I also thought Phil Neville’s comments after getting pumped by Sweden and calling it a ‘nonsense game’ was as rude as you can get.

The magic waistcoat didn’t work, and was about as classless as any of the USA’s exploits.

Well gosh darn it all old man, I am very British :laugh:

Agree after the loss, we were outplayed by the Swedish and it would have been nice just to have admitted that, and I disagree that we will never win because of politeness and sportsmanship, it will be because we just are not as good as we think we are :facepalm:

Foot-ball-Managers.jpg

I also thought Phil Neville’s comments after getting pumped by Sweden and calling it a ‘nonsense game’ was as rude as you can get. The magic waistcoat didn’t work, and was about as classless as any of the USA’s exploits.

I had my reservations about him from the outset. It's been a downward spiral and his continual excuses have been utterly cringeworthy. I do feel a woman boss might be better overall, perhaps an ex-player like Karen Carney who has just hung up her boots - she'll know the game from being on the inside.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom