Film Review - Your Name (2017)

I have the BD steelbook on pre-order and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Makoto Shinkai's work has been a little hit or miss to be frank, but 5cm per Second and The Garden of Words were excellent I thought. His earlier works less so.

Not sure how good an IMAX blow up of Your Name could look. I've seen IMAX blow ups in the past and they've all looked pretty much like how I see the world without my glasses.

I managed to see it an my local Cineworld last year and loved every second of Your Name. Has anyone seen a film with subtitles at the IMAX before? Surely you'll get a sore neck going from the subs to the rest of the screen. Saying that the film looks stunning and it was eye-wateringly beautiful on a standard multiplex screen.

Can we get an IMAX rerelease of The Handmaiden now?

Off to see this 'again' this evening. Stunning film and is defo one of Makoto Shinkai's best.

10/10 for me as really had no complaints in any department with a perfect blend of humour and emotions.

I really did enjoy 5cm per second and would argue is just as good imo.

Cannot wait for the Bluray release either. one for the shelf.

Last edited:
I was on the fence to get the Blu ray.

Guess I've hopped off onto purchase land

Great review Sharuna - I entirely agree with you. This was one in my top 10 of 2016 and Mark Kermode also placed it in his top 10.

I really must seek out more of Makoto Shinkai's works. The only other feature I've seen is A Place Promised in our Early Days, as well as his short film Voices of a Distant Star.

Hey - for anyone with deep pockets, why not check out the Japanese UHD Blu-Ray / Blu-Ray set (with English subtitles). Surprised @Steve Withers hasn't collected this one yet. ;-)

a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg

I can remember the last time - if ever - I used the word 'fascinating' about a film.
98% on Rotten Tomatoes - I didn't think they went about 80%.

Great review Sharuna - I entirely agree with you. This was one in my top 10 of 2016 and Mark Kermode also placed it in his top 10.

I really must seek out more of Makoto Shinkai's works. The only other feature I've seen is A Place Promised in our Early Days, as well as his short film Voices of a Distant Star.

Hey - for anyone with deep pockets, why not check out the Japanese UHD Blu-Ray / Blu-Ray set (with English subtitles). Surprised @Steve Withers hasn't collected this one yet. ;-)

View attachment 901717 View attachment 901718 View attachment 901719 View attachment 901720 View attachment 901721
link?

NVM, found it/one. Oooh yeah nice but pricey

EDIT
Oh and the UHD is a 1080p upscale albeit HDR added.

Nope.

Last edited:
awesome anime tho. wish i had deep pockets for that ace japanese box set. shame uk gets skimped on all the goodies

View attachment 901717 View attachment 901718 View attachment 901719 View attachment 901720 View attachment 901721

Lovely looking set, but as the movie was made in 1080p, rather pointless.

awesome anime tho. wish i had deep pockets for that ace japanese box set. shame uk gets skimped on all the goodies

Having recently got a little bit into steelbooks it naturally takes you into the special box sets etc. Quite often the UK doesn't get served well for either.

Steelbooks book we don't to toooo badly, but Japan has always had it good. Mind you it gets to be a mighty expensive hobby.

its a strong 9 for me. Well I just rewatched it today and really did nearly cry so probably a 10.

my only complaint is the lack of the soundtracks ability to work my subwoofer. explosions seemed far less dramatic to what I'm used to and the soundtrack's lower sounds were missing on the copy I had (Compared to the OST which I listen to).

for the average viewer, I'd say the first 30-45 minutes is a real investment which western audiences probably aren't used to with probably below average attention spans (basing this on my sister falling asleep at 40 mins) for your average anime fan, its obviously nothing (looks at 30 episode one piece investment, looks at 40 episode gintama investment).

Its the perfect blend of comedy, fantasy, slice of life, romance, tragedy etc. Understated but powerful OST, great vocal tracks, fantastic japanese voice acting...

Can't help but feel if this was made into a film with real actors, it would be 10s all over the shop and earning even more money.

Just pre-ordered the Blu-ray.

its a strong 9 for me. Well I just rewatched it today and really did nearly cry so probably a 10.

my only complaint is the lack of the soundtracks ability to work my subwoofer. explosions seemed far less dramatic to what I'm used to and the soundtrack's lower sounds were missing on the copy I had (Compared to the OST which I listen to).

for the average viewer, I'd say the first 30-45 minutes is a real investment which western audiences probably aren't used to with probably below average attention spans (basing this on my sister falling asleep at 40 mins) for your average anime fan, its obviously nothing (looks at 30 episode one piece investment, looks at 40 episode gintama investment).

Its the perfect blend of comedy, fantasy, slice of life, romance, tragedy etc. Understated but powerful OST, great vocal tracks, fantastic japanese voice acting...

Can't help but feel if this was made into a film with real actors, it would be 10s all over the shop and earning even more money.

I have to agree the OST is immense and very powerful (I have had it for a while) and really brings back the emotions of the film every time I listen to it.

I really hope this does not get adapted into a real life version. I feel part of it's charm is that it's animated and is totally stunning

I've wanted to see this since reading a review before the limited release last year. My local cinema were charging £16 a ticket and I refuse to pay that for me and my wife to go. I'm getting the BD cheaper than one ticket.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom