Finding a neutral for a smart switch

philupnorth

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need to get a neutral for smart switches upstairs I already have & I'm wondering if I have figured out the borrowed neutral issue. I have wall switches in two bedrooms which back onto my airing cupboard & another bedroom where the switch backs onto another cupboard so I can access the back of the switches easily without having to chase out the walls, can I connect a wire from the neutral of one of the ceiling roses in the loft & connect this wire to all the switches by running it down the walls in the airing cupboard & the other cupboard & through the plasterboard wall into the switch to provide a neutral for that switch? If so can I use the same wire to connect other switches on the same lighting circuit chasing out the walls as needed

I'm no expert but pretty sure the borrowed neutral contravenes electrical safety regs but I might be wrong

The source of the neutral both would have to be on the same split zone. If not you will get constant trips because you have lost electrical isolation between the two split zones. . If tripping one zone turns off all the switches involved then it should be OK, A elcb compares the live and neutral current any difference must be coming back via the earth. The MCB's just operate on current (basically a superfast fuse).

I have an older house & all the lights are on one trip so it sounds like it will be OK

Borrowed neutrals can be a total nightmare. Especially if they are not from the same circuit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom