Finding the Way Back Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas one to watch but shouldnt it have been a 9 with such a glowing review?

Thanks Cas,
I’ve been a fan of O’Connor since Pride and Glory so will definitely check this out.

I'll wait a couple of months until its priced normally. Not sure I see the value of these £15 rentals that will be £4 in short order for the exact same experience.

Last edited:
Thanks Cas. On my rental list. I have a high regard for Affleck's work in recent years, so want to see this.

Cheers Cas, agree with the whole review...I watched this last month..a very well put together film, with a truly emotional performance from Mr Affleck ..one i wil watch again.

This can be rented for $5.99 or bought for $19.99 if you have a US iTunes account

Allow viewers a few extra pennies to enjoy a few "Shower Beers"

This can be rented for $5.99 or bought for $19.99 if you have a US iTunes account

Allow viewers a few extra pennies to enjoy a few "Shower Beers"
Oh nice. I have a US account but always forget to use it

Thanks Cas one to watch but shouldnt it have been a 9 with such a glowing review?

I was toying with a 9 but sometimes it sets expectations too high. It's a tremendous 10/10 performance that defines a very good 8/10 film, is probably how I see it, but you're right, I was very close to giving it a 9.

LOL. With the inclusion of the Podcast on the Front Page, The window for finding the way back no longer has any of Ben Affleck showing. Is this the actual meaning, then - he is trying to find his way back onto the Thumbnail? :)
Edit: Tom Hanks managed it on the Greyhound Thumbnail immediately below, so there is hope!

LOL. With the inclusion of the Podcast on the Front Page, The window for finding the way back no longer has any of Ben Affleck showing. Is this the actual meaning, then - he is trying to find his way back onto the Thumbnail? :)
Edit: Tom Hanks managed it on the Greyhound Thumbnail immediately below, so there is hope!

There you go: he found his way back.

I think Ben Affleck is pretty good. I don't remember watching a film with him in it and thinking what a stinker.

I rewatched the Town recently - brilliant.

The town is a superb film, fantastic job as both actor /director, again repeated with Argo.
I never watched his third attempt as it was meant to be a turkey but the guy has plenty of talent.
Clooney springs to mind as another who successfully dipped his toe as both actor/director, seems to be once the turkey arrives the money to try again disappears (although his tv series Catch 22 was great).

Thanks for the review, Cas.

I enjoyed this one very much. Totally agree with your review.

I rate Affleck these days. His work as a director is always spot on too.

@steviedr Don't be put off by the reviews of Live By Night. Yes, it's a bit of a misfire. BUT there really is a lot to enjoy in it. I've watched it several times. It only pales when compared to the other films you list. I personally enjoy it more than Argo.

Great movie and mindblowing performance from Ben A, on par with Adam S in Uncut Gems.

Playing messed up characters is defo his niche.

Goes together with a great script, storyline and acting..

9/10 all day baby!

Finding the way back? Did they think we couldn’t understand The Way Back over here?

Finding the way back? Did they think we couldn’t understand The Way Back over here?

There's another film called The Way Back (2010) which perhaps was more popular here than in the US? It's still odd that they didn't just call it one or the other globally.

Really enjoyed this. Affleck certainly looks like a guy who is struggling with his demons. Could have done with an 80's style montage though or maybe that's just me??

I found this enjoyable (if appropriate here) but some of the basketball material is a bit jarring in it's style of ticker count scores and unrealistic light weighted approach at times. The team are also seriously questionable in attitude, that a drunk would surely tire of rapidly and with an overweight player for effect.
The whole series of so tight scores also went from engaging to, uhuh; another skin of their teeth game using the exact same game play tactics, that no opposing coach could wrap their head around?
It was also odd that no member of the faith there offered Affleck's (known to be deeply troubled) Jack any emotional support whatsoever but instead just wagged disapproving fingers.
The story with the wife felt underdeveloped for much of the film but does hit hard later in. However, Affleck was clearly the centre point overall, is on top form and certainly carries things in the main and covers over some wonky story points - with a bit of help from endearing Al Madrigal.
Not a film I'd bother rewatching, unless I felt the need for a blubber but in these days of a pandemic it's low.

(Jack reminded of Tom Selleck's drunken Jesse Stone - what with the beard, clothing style and knackered old Cruiser, about as cheerful too.)

Nice review and thanks for highlighting a film I didn't know about.

I'm probably missing something obvious but why is Ben Affleck's performance not Oscar worthy this year - are the awards cancelled or is it how this got released?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom