First Floor home cinema - got there at last!

So the plan was to have two individual recliners and a soda type seating on the lower level. The kids wanted something they can lie and spread out on! The screen is 2.5 metres in width.
Can they not lie and spread out on the front row seats? If they do so on the rear seats, they may not see over the people in the front. How high is your riser?

Thanks luminated those are some really helpful tips. Who would have thought of putting spandex on your walls......lol

Thanks luminated those are some really helpful tips. Who would have thought of putting spandex on your walls......lol

Well it does wonders for the wife’s hairy legs so it’s worth a go. :p

Can they not lie and spread out on the front row seats? If they do so on the rear seats, they may not see over the people in the front. How high is your riser?
That is the plan. 2 seats at the rear on the riser, which is 12 inches high, and then some sort of sofa type seating on the lower floor level.

That is the plan. 2 seats at the rear on the riser, which is 12 inches high, and then some sort of sofa type seating on the lower floor level.
Right, but your post (#16) appeared to be looking for seats for the rear, and the Ikea seats you linked to are recliners. Are recliners suitable for your rear seats?

Right, but your post (#16) appeared to be looking for seats for the rear, and the Ikea seats you linked to are recliners. Are recliners suitable for your rear seats?
Triggaaar, you're quite right. So I'm hoping that with the recliners in recline position they will still be high enough to give a full view of the screen over the heads of the people sitting on the sofa on the lower level. When the seat arrives hopefully will be able to try that out.

Triggaaar, you're quite right. So I'm hoping that with the recliners in recline position they will still be high enough to give a full view of the screen over the heads of the people sitting on the sofa on the lower level. When the seat arrives hopefully will be able to try that out.
12" isn't a high riser, so I think smaller people reclining in the back may struggle. If it works, great, but if not it's no hardship to have recliners in the front, and more standard seats in the rear. I look forward to hearing how the test goes.

All recliners will still keep the backrest at the normal position whilst raising the legs section so you should still see over the front row and only when fully reclined might it possibly be an issue.

So the chair has finally arrived in a rather alarmingly large box!

IMG_3377.JPG

Maybe there's a body in it?
LOL......thats a scary thought.
Thankfully no body just a chair.
So the plus point of having the large box was that there was very little assembling to do.
4 legs and the back of the chair clips into the base and thats it! Job done !

So I've had a chance to try out the seat now.
Colour and Fabric - Like the colour, nice rich colour and the fabric is nice too. Sort of reminiscent of the fabric that covered old cinema chairs.
Dimensions:-
Unextended the chair is 38 inches.
Extended - 53 inches.
Width - 26 inches.

So sitting on the chair with foot rest extended I was able to sit comfortably with a 60 inch space.
The width of the seat is quite roomy as well with enough wiggle room.
Now the obvious drawback with this chair is that it isn't motorised and doesn't have all the lights, cup holders etc.
But it actually fits my key criteria which is a small footprint.
I've also tried it on a makeshift platform and with a low sofa in front i could see over the heads of someone sitting on the sofa.

Given how much cheaper it is I'm actually quite pleased with this chair and will order the second one too.

So the house build has been more concentrated on getting the rest of the house finished but we have started making some progress again in the cinema room.
Had a think about how I'm going to decorate the room and decided on the following.
The sides of the room will be covered in acoustic fabric (maroon) behind which the speakers will sit.
The roof will be painted in Urban Obsession (Dulux) - its a dark grey with the carpet to match this.
LED lighting along the side walls at skirting level and further LED lighting where the walls meet the ceiling slopes on the side walls.
The AC and vent outlets in the ceiling will be RAL coated to match the ceiling colour.
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5379.PNG

Hi dvdchild
Just went into the ikea website and it’s allowing me to order and charging £39.00 for delivery to my postcode on the 26/8. So seems to available for delivery still.

Some more progress on the room build.
Insulation and boarding up the walls. Ignore all the other building debris in the room as it was being used to store material in.

IMG_5720.jpeg

Side wall with the access to where the AV rack will be located.
IMG_5719.jpeg

You can see the inlet pipes for the Ac unit coming through the ceiling.
IMG_5718.jpeg

Some more progress on the room build.
Insulation and boarding up the walls. Ignore all the other building debris in the room as it was being used to store material in.

View attachment 1354040

Side wall with the access to where the AV rack will be located.
View attachment 1354041

You can see the inlet pipes for the Ac unit coming through the ceiling.
View attachment 1354043

Wise man fitting an AC unit, please tell me the input vent isn’t close to where the projector will sit.

Are you mounting plaster board to the chip board so you can plaster the walls etc?

Yes, though a relatively expensive addition, being in the roof space of the extension i just know this room is going to get very warm so an AC was essential.
The input vent isn't near the projector but am intrigued to hear why it shouldn't be.
Yes plasterboard onto the chip board to be plastered.

Yes, though a relatively expensive addition, being in the roof space of the extension i just know this room is going to get very warm so an AC was essential.
The input vent isn't near the projector but am intrigued to hear why it shouldn't be.
Yes plasterboard onto the chip board to be plastered.

In the US where AC units are the norm they suffer more from Dust blobs than the rest of us and some projectors are more affected by them than others.

My heat recovery vent is up near the screen because of what I read on forums so just checking here before your vent position was set in stone.

How far along are you with picking speakers, last time I had put doubt in your mind regarding going for full range speakers over bookshelf sized ones.

In the US where AC units are the norm they suffer more from Dust blobs than the rest of us and some projectors are more affected by them than others.

My heat recovery vent is up near the screen because of what I read on forums so just checking here before your vent position was set in stone.

How far along are you with picking speakers, last time I had put doubt in your mind regarding going for full range speakers over bookshelf sized ones.
So with some appropriate use of social "bubbles" and social distancing managed to have a listen to speakers and chosen the following:
3 x Klipsch DS-250WCI
2 X Klipsch DS-160W
2 x Klipsch CS-16C
2 X Monitor Audio IW Sub with In Wall enclosure

Some further developments.
This is the housing unit which will hold the rack and will sit in the eaves.
IMG_5776.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom