First time avr buyer

Abbeyuk1989

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at going from a Sony htx 8500 soundbar to avr I'm struggling to decide on what avr would be best I have seen Sony 1080 with wharfdale dx2 5.1 speaker package would this be big upgrade or is there better options for 700 I would add 2 atmos speakers at later date as this is my budget any other recommendation welcome and help also as this is my first time looking at avr

You cannot connect that soundbar to a receiver. You would need three passive speakers for the front to connect to the Sony 1080 receiver. A receiver with a full set of passive speakers in a 5.1.2, the 1080's maximum, would sound far better than using a soundbar. The HTX 8500 is a powered soundbar which makes connection in a 5.1.2 impossible.

I think that is what the OP is proposing. I read it as he is considering the Sony 1080 receiver with Wharfedale DX2 speakers. :)

I think that is what the OP is proposing. I read it as he is considering the Sony 1080 receiver with Wharfedale DX2 speakers. :)
My bad. Reading too quick.

As a first receiver I'd recommend the Denon X2600. Easier to set up, especially with Atmos over the Sony, better room EQ as well. The Denon set up wizard is really good.

Sorry for the confusion.

It was

As a first receiver I'd recommend the Denon X2600. Easier to set up, especially with Atmos over the Sony, better room EQ as well. The Denon set up wizard is really good.

Sorry for the confusion.
It was probably how I wrote it sorry is x2600 as good as 1080 in your OP

Better in my opinion. It could matter as the Sony has some difficulty in portraying DTS:X and Neural with speakers having to be configured differently. Something that only Sony do for reasons best known to themselves, you can find information about it in the owners' thread.

As a first time owner the Denon is very easy to set up. I'm on my fourth Denon receiver and all have proved very reliable.

Sorry for the confusion.
Also now I can get 2600 in 2 speaker packages wharfdale dx2 or onkyo sks ht588 with atmos speakers built in front were as dxt I'd have too buy atmos later date what are your opinions on those speaker sets

Also now I can get 2600 in 2 speaker packages wharfdale dx2 or onkyo sks ht588 with atmos speakers built in front were as dxt I'd have too buy atmos later date what are your opinions on those speaker sets
I'm lost again now. Do you want just a soundbar or a receiver with a full 5.1.2 speaker configuration. You do not need a receiver with a soundbar, they are two different entities. Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson both supply the Denon with a variety of different speaker packages including the Wharfedales.

I'm lost again now. Do you want just a soundbar or a receiver with a full 5.1.2 speaker configuration. You do not need a receiver with a soundbar, they are two different entities. Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson both supply the Denon with a variety of different speaker packages including the Wharfedales.

I'm on about avr you can buy them in speaker packages on richer sounds I didn't mention soundbar at all lol

I'm on about avr you can buy them in speaker packages on richer sounds I didn't mention soundbar at all lol
Unless I read it wrong.
That bye the bye though and you would get far more enjoyment out of a full surround sound system.

I mean I can get the denon X2600h in 2 speaker packages on a website one speaker package is the wharfdale dx2 and other is onkyo sks ht588 the later has atmos speakers in witch do you think of the speaker configurations above would be better for the denon X2600h thanks

I have not heard either of those speakers but I would tend to go for the DX-2 over Onkyo. It may be tempting as Onkyo has integrated Atmos but my experience with cheap Onkyo Atmos speakers was terrible. If your budget is really 700-800, then just be aware that these value packages have small, under-powered sub-woofers.

I think @Abbeyuk1989 is talking about this speaker package Onkyo SKSHT588 (Black)
:facepalm:

I'd take the Wharfedale and add Elac modules, I believe they will fit on top. The Onkyo are fixed to a position and are not that good. At least with the Elacs you can experiment with angles or even fit them on the wall close to the ceiling.

I have not heard either of those speakers but I would tend to go for the DX-2 over Onkyo. It may be tempting as Onkyo has integrated Atmos but my experience with cheap Onkyo Atmos speakers was terrible. If your budget is really 700-800, then just be aware that these value packages have small, under-powered sub-woofers.
Can I add 2 subs to the denon X2600h thanks for your reply

I'd take the Wharfedale and add Elac modules, I believe they will fit on top. The Onkyo are fixed to a position and are not that good. At least with the Elacs you can experiment with angles or even fit them on the wall close to the ceiling.

Thanks alot

Thanks for your patience with me lol

Personally I concentrate spending any budget on the speakers first, certainly for the front three. A second sub can be added later as this can be very dependant on the room, one good one may cut it if the room is small. In a medium sized room then it's true that two subs are better as this will help with any nulls in the room and give a better response.

It would help if you could post a diagram of the room with probable TV and speaker positions along with it's dimensions.

Personally I concentrate spending any budget on the speakers first, certainly for the front three. A second sub can be added later as this can be very dependant on the room, one good one may cut it if the room is small. In a medium sized room then it's true that two subs are better as this will help with any nulls in the room and give a better response.

It would help if you could post a diagram of the room with probable TV and speaker positions along with it's dimensions.
It is a small room tbh thats why I was looking at the smaller form speakers

I’m following this as I too am looking for a first proper ht system. I Currently have sonos playbar, sub plus a sonos amp driving 4 monitor ceiling speakers as surrounds. My room is open plan kitchen, diner family about 3mtrs wide by 8 mtrs. The seating/ tv area is at one end . Tv is Samsung Qled WE55Q7FNA. I’m not keen on bulky LCR speakers as we have got used to the tidy look of a soundbar. Does anyone have any passive soundbar / sub recommendations please? With regards an avr, as we are used to multi room speakers I was wondering if Denon heos avr would be a good choice or perhaps Yamaha musicCast? Thanks in advance.
Ps sorry if this is hijacking op post. Should I start a new thread?
C88A6A19-0637-4847-996D-3A22CFAB1C9A.jpeg

I’m following this as I too am looking for a first proper ht system. I Currently have sonos playbar, sub plus a sonos amp driving 4 monitor ceiling speakers as surrounds. My room is open plan kitchen, diner family about 3mtrs wide by 8 mtrs. The seating/ tv area is at one end . Tv is Samsung Qled WE55Q7FNA. I’m not keen on bulky LCR speakers as we have got used to the tidy look of a soundbar. Does anyone have any passive soundbar / sub recommendations please? With regards an avr, as we are used to multi room speakers I was wondering if Denon heos avr would be a good choice or perhaps Yamaha musicCast? Thanks in advance.
Ps sorry if this is hijacking op post. Should I start a new thread?
View attachment 1264297

The room set up is all wrong for LCR speakers as to where the seating position is as you will always be side on.. Are your surround sound speakers in the ceiling? As this is not the best place to have them, that area would be suited to the Atmos domain

yes I agree its not ideal, because of the open plan nature of the space. We tried L shape seating but other half complained it closed in the room. Yes surrounds the the ceiling. Dual purpise as they are great for general background music when not watching tv. we could put ht in the front room but again its a compromise as the only place for the tv is in a largish corner alcove the moment. 9FB59761-1234-4CED-95C3-FC160CC59B47.jpeg

in all honesty, i wouldn't bother with surround sound, in either room tbf, the sound stage will sound so muddled i'd suggest sticking with a soundbar..
Alternatively you could move the tv above the fireplace, that is what i would do..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom