Five year warranty?

dougan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Would you buy a £800 TV with only twelve months warranty?
The 2019 Samsung model I am after only seems to be available with a twelve month warranty.
Just concerned that if it goes wrong after eighteen months, I am left with a expensive picture frame!

It depends where you buy it from.
Some retailers offer extended warranties.

Which TV and where from?

I'd maybe take the chance if it was significantly cheaper than elsewhere, but perhaps there's a better TV with a better warranty available for not much more money.

It's the Samsung QE55Q70RA
Several retailers have it for £799, but only with a twelve month warranty, can you purchase a separate extended warranty?

Well spotted!
I can get it from Peter Tyson for £779, including a loyal customer voucher of £20.
So that would make it £120 cheaper than JL, but only a twelve month warranty, decisions, decisions!

Well spotted!
I can get it from Peter Tyson for £779, including a loyal customer voucher of £20.
So that would make it £120 cheaper than JL, but only a twelve month warranty, decisions, decisions!
That's not your choice at all... John Lewis should price match Peter Tyson: John Lewis & Partners | Never Knowingly Undersold

Should mean you can get it for £799 (they won't match the voucher if it's not displayed on the item's page) with a 5 year warranty from JL.

I presumed it had to be like for like including the warranty?
Nope :)

Richer Sounds are a bit stricter, but JL will match identical products if they have physical retail shops.

Nope :)

Richer Sounds are a bit stricter, but JL will match identical products if they have physical retail shops.
I have just filled in the price match form, will see what the outcome is!

Would you buy a £800 TV with only twelve months warranty?
The 2019 Samsung model I am after only seems to be available with a twelve month warranty.
Just concerned that if it goes wrong after eighteen months, I am left with a expensive picture frame!

Definitely not. When shops like RS and JL provide 5-6 year warranties as standard. I've had to use my warranty 3 times in four years so would never buy without a long comprehensive warranty included. It's worth considering what brand you buy as if you purchase from Richer Sounds say a Sony, the first 5 years of warranty is with Sony direct, the 6th year with RS, whereas if you purchase a Hisense the first year is with Hisense and the remainder would be with Richer Sounds. Not all warranties are equal as well. I would only buy from Richer Sounds or other similar company.

Many thanks for your replies!
Just had JL email saying they will price match the £799, just ordered, arriving next Tuesday!

Definitely not. When shops like RS and JL provide 5-6 year warranties as standard. I've had to use my warranty 3 times in four years so would never buy without a long comprehensive warranty included. It's worth considering what brand you buy as if you purchase from Richer Sounds say a Sony, the first 5 years of warranty is with Sony direct, the 6th year with RS, whereas if you purchase a Hisense the first year is with Hisense and the remainder would be with Richer Sounds. Not all warranties are equal as well. I would only buy from Richer Sounds or other similar company.

100% agree. In fact I don't even look at retailers which can't offer 5 year warranty. Most importantly retailer customer care should be another factor to consider as with some retailers its not existent so if manufacturer not helping you have no help options stuck with faulty item.

100% agree. In fact I don't even look at retailers which can't offer 5 year warranty. Most importantly retailer customer care should be another factor to consider as with some retailers its not existent so if manufacturer not helping you have no help options stuck with faulty item.

Also the way they treat their staff. Don't get much better than RS.

I'd go for a proper long warranty.

It just gives you peace of mind and you also run the possibility of the TV breaking down in year 4 or 5 and getting a sweet replacement because they no longer stock or have parts for your current TV.

With my Panasonic 902B, I only got 12 months of warranty and when I thought I had an issue with it, it was really frustrating knowing that I'd be pretty much stuffed in regards to sorting out any potential problems.

At least with warranty, theres just one person to call. It also makes it slightly more attractive when you're selling the TV on.

With my last TV set before my current OLED, I had a man LG plasma. 5 year warranty with RS. After 3 years panel went black and wouldn’t turn on, resolved by RS. Had two repairs on my onkyo receiver too. RS have just given me credit towards the cost of my most recent receiver too after having regular hdcp handshake issues, which gets me more than selling it would - I’ve already bought a Denon x4500

Wouldn’t dream of having something without 5 years it just gives you peace of mind

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom