**** Flashcarts/Modchips & Piracy **** PLEASE READ ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
Reaction score
OK, so I thought I'd clarify the position here at AVF regarding the thread title.

I've put this notice here on the "Nintendo Front Page" as it were, to avoid the need to duplicate it across the DS and Wii subsections.

Now, AVForums doesn't like Piracy. Nor does Santa. Not only will you not get your xmas pressies, but you will also get an infraction and maybe even permanent exclusion if you discuss such things here.

So why does this pertain to flashcarts and modchips?

Easy, what are flashcarts and modchips used for?

Let's take Modchips:
  • Allows you to play pirated games
  • Allows you to play "backup" games
  • DOES NOT affect your ability to play legal homebrew

We like Homebrew here, but as illustrated, you do NOT need a modchip to use homebrew. Homebrew is done via softmods.
The ONLY things that modchips allow is playing copied games on the Wii. Now whether you insist that it's a "backup" or whether you admit that it's downloaded (pirated) games, at the end of the day, one is merely a euphemism for the other.
Also, even backup games are in a "grey area" in law.....and precedents have already been set that whether it's a backup or a pirated copy, THE SIMPLE FACT OF PARTIALLY COPYING GAMECODE INTO A MODCHIP IS ILLEGAL AS IT TRANSGRESSES COPYRIGHT LAWS

AKA. it doesn't matter what you call it or where it's come from (previously blank DVD, HDD, USB stick etc etc) the fact that portions of copyrighted game code are utilised by the chip is what is illegal.

Therefore, whether you call it backup or piracy, it's a moot point......using a modchip is still ILLEGAL.

As such, it cannot be discussed here.

You CAN, however discuss homebrew on the Wii as this is achieved via softmodding and is largely perfectly legal.

What about Flashcarts?
  • Allows you to play pirated games
  • Allows you to play "backup" games
  • Allows you to play legal homebrew

So these are slightly different in that flashcarts alone allow homebrew usage. However, just like modchips, the copying of game code into the flashcart chip on the fly (i.e. how it runs) is still illegal....so like above, the first two options (whether pirated/backed up) CANNOT be discussed here.
Also like above, the last option (homebrew) CAN be discussed on these forums.

In fact, we have 2 dedicated homebrew threads (one for DS and one for Wii) around here so please use them to discuss away :smashin:.

Finally, as modchips and flashcarts are illegal, not only can you not discuss what they do/how they work/where to steal games/etc etc, but you CANNOT DISCUSS WHERE TO BUY THEM FROM EITHER.

It gets better ;), not only will you get an infraction for requesting ANY such info, but those who reply to these threads WILL ALSO RUN THE RISK OF GETTING INFRACTIONS.

ok?

LEGAL homebrew allowed, ILLEGAL piracy/flashcarts/modchips not.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom