Flu jab reminder, for vulnerable groups.

IronGiant

Reaction score
Can I remind all vulnerable groups to get their flu jabs sooner rather than later. My local chemist is already rationing supplies to ensure that vulnerable groups get it first.

Can I remind all vulnerable groups to get their flu jabs sooner rather than later. My local chemist is already rationing supplies to ensure that vulnerable groups get it first.
Although a lot of chemists don't yet have any vaccine. Mine doesn't and I'm on a telephone 'when we have stock' list.

Over 65's
Due to unprecedented demand for flu vaccinations this year and stock availability we have had to suspend bookings. Please do not visit your local store to book an appointment at this time.
Winter Flu Jab Service.

I rang mine last week, they didn't have under 65 in stock, asked me to ring at the end of the week. Rang at the end of the week and was told we don't do injections on Fridays (WTF) ring on Monday. Rang this morning and was asked to pop in. From what I gather pharmacists are being so overwhelmed by requests from people who are now eligible (ie over 50) that they are trying to focus on existing people that got one under the NHS. Mine seemed quite relieved they had someone come in who is supposed to have it.

I'm eligible for free NHS jab but pay to have the exact one I want.
The NICE recommended vaccine for over 65's is an aTIV (adjuvanted trivalent vaccine) but that contains MF-59 Squalene who source is hard to determine. Squalene can be made from vegetable sources but is most often sourced from shark livers. See my post #349 in Will you get the vaccine if it becomes available? for why that is potentially bad if you are a shark.

As my GP cannot state with any certainty what exact vaccine they will be giving, I pay to get an unadjuvanted quadvalent vaccine QIVc (also NICE approved for over 65's) and see the box it comes in for verification. That also gets me protection against 4 strains vs just the 3 strains for the free NHS one.

Unfortunately no 'I saved a shark today sticker' is handed out with the jab...:( :)

Last edited:
Good post. To add to this - there was GP on TV the other day who said that the surgeries order the vaccine well in advance, up to 12 months, and she feared her surgery wouldn't have enough to cope with the extra demand this year so, yes, the vulnerable should act now.

Last edited:
I have mine booked for next Tuesday. I've also asked them to check when the last time I had the Pneumovax was. Apparently, under a certain age, you should get them every five years. I haven't had one for over ten years. When I asked last time they said "You only need the one".

I'm eligible for free NHS jab but pay to have the exact one I want.
The NICE recommended vaccine for over 65's is an aTIV (adjuvanted trivalent vaccine) but that contains MF-59 Squalene who source is hard to determine. Squalene can be made from vegetable sources but is most often sourced from shark livers. See my post #349 in Will you get the vaccine if it becomes available? for why that is potentially bad if you are a shark.

As my GP cannot state with any certainty what exact vaccine they will be giving, I pay to get an unadjuvanted quadvalent vaccine QIVc (also NICE approved for over 65's) and see the box it comes in for verification. That also gets me protection against 4 strains vs just the 3 strains for the free NHS one.

Unfortunately no 'I saved a shark today sticker' is handed out with the jab...:( :)
Do you get that one to be shark-friendly, or some other reason?

Useful thread this, I’m 62 and never bothered before. Just tried the local boots, and availability is weeks out. I also didn’t know they did vaccines against strep pneumonia.

Anything else I need to know as a “newbie”? I’ll be spending this morning on the NHS website. Thanks.

I have mine booked for next Tuesday. I've also asked them to check when the last time I had the Pneumovax was. Apparently, under a certain age, you should get them every five years. I haven't had one for over ten years. When I asked last time they said "You only need the one".
I thought it was a one off vaccine when 65

I thought it was a one off vaccine when 65

It is. They just didn't tell me when I had it. I did ask about a 'top-up' at the time and they said that people tend not to be around for one because of their ages etc.

I was in my late 30s when I had it.

Do you get that one to be shark-friendly, or some other reason?

Useful thread this, I’m 62 and never bothered before. Just tried the local boots, and availability is weeks out. I also didn’t know they did vaccines against strep pneumonia.

Anything else I need to know as a “newbie”? I’ll be spending this morning on the NHS website. Thanks.
No, more because like I said it vaccinates aginst four strains of flu rather than the three strains that the one recommended for over 65s does. Although it does give the opportunity to have a virtuous glow for saving a shark...:smashin:

As an under 65 your recommended jab will be a QIVc vaccine ( Quadrivalent cell grown), or the QIVe (quadrivalent egg grown). https://www.healthpublications.gov.uk/ViewArticle.html?sp=Sfluvaccinesforthe2020to2021seasonposter

https://assets.publishing.service.g...for_healthcare_practitioners_2020_to_2021.pdf

Last edited:
No, more because like I said it vaccinates aginst four strains of flu rather than the three strains that the one recommended for over 65s does. Although it does give the opportunity to have a virtuous glow for saving a shark...:smashin:

As an under 65 your recommended jab will be a QIVc vaccine ( Quadvalent cell grown), or the QIVe (quadvalent egg grown). https://www.healthpublications.gov.uk/ViewArticle.html?sp=Sfluvaccinesforthe2020to2021seasonposter

https://assets.publishing.service.g...for_healthcare_practitioners_2020_to_2021.pdf
Thanks very much. Helps to know what you are looking for before you go looking for it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you're at increased risk of a pneumococcal infection, you'll be given a single dose of the PPV vaccine.
But if your spleen does not work properly or you have a chronic kidney condition, you may need booster doses of PPV every 5 years.

This is because your levels of antibodies against the infection decrease over time.
Your GP surgery will advise you on whether you'll need a booster dose.
Who should have the pneumococcal vaccine?

My company pay for us all to have a private jab at Boots. They've already cancelled my booking once, so hoping they don't cancel my new booking next week!

If you're at increased risk of a pneumococcal infection, you'll be given a single dose of the PPV vaccine.
But if your spleen does not work properly or you have a chronic kidney condition, you may need booster doses of PPV every 5 years.

This is because your levels of antibodies against the infection decrease over time.
Your GP surgery will advise you on whether you'll need a booster dose.
Who should have the pneumococcal vaccine?

Spleen and kidneys can be affected by leukaemia.

Enlarged spleen (sometimes requiring removal) is a diagnosis checkbox (along with an overabundance of white blood cells).

Liver (in particular) and kidneys can be under a lot of strain due to the medication.

As my elderly mum’s carer I usually get a flu jab around this time of year but have been informed that due to shortages (and as a relatively healthy 40something) they won’t have anything available for me until mid November.

Her sisters tried to get their jabs at local Boots but pharmacist said they hadn’t got enough stock either but thankfully GP surgery managed to book them in for next week’s clinic.

Had mine two weeks ago at the surgery. I was going to pay for one at the chemist and had booked it, but they moved my appointment time (which would have been fine) but then subsequently cancelled on me as they had run out. So I went and got the NHS one instead.

Waiting for my letter from the GP's asking me to book my flu jab, my parents have had their letters. Though If I haven't got the letter by Friday, I think I'll ring the surgery to book one.

Anyone short of one I'll fix you up with the old man's. He's back on his stance that he's being poisoned and won't have it :facepalm:

Not sure they'll ever get the Corona one in him!

Up here in the frozen north they’ve decided to create a new body to administer flu jabs this year, not GP surgeries. So far they’ve done a dodgy pr campaign that amounts to: We’re doing, this who’s eligible but we can’t tell you where, when or how. Pharmacy don’t even know when they can take private bookings yet. Thrilled.

Had my flu jab this morning. Swollen arm, limbs are starting to ache and feeling shivery.

It never used to bother me years ago but the last few have given me flu-like symptoms (obviously not actual flu, just the symptoms).

They checked and there is no need for the pneumococcal vaccine :)

Had my flu jab this morning. Swollen arm, limbs are starting to ache and feeling shivery.

It never used to bother me years ago but the last few have given me flu-like symptoms (obviously not actual flu, just the symptoms).

They checked and there is no need for the pneumococcal vaccine :)
Waking the immune system up gets worse as you get older. :confused:Mind if I ask how old you are?

He's not very old, early 50s, but he has a knackered immune system due to leukaemia.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom