FORUM OPEN DAY - ROOM CORRECTION SYSTEMS COMPARED

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GECKO HOME CINEMA - SUNDAY 28th April

There is so much interest in room correction I will be organising an open day for visitors to come and compare the set up and quality of the different systems for themselves, provided there is enough interest.

Exact details will depend on what products I can borrow and who will help with set up of the different options. There are only three obvious contenders for stereo amps with room correction below £5,000 so doing real like for like comparisons will be hard.

As it is, I’m certain the difference between the room correction systems will be very clear and this is the main point I want to illustrate. As a minimum I expect to be able to show the following, but if there are any other options that everyone agrees are important and are practical to do without becoming too time consuming and confusing, I’m happy to add these in.

STEREO DEMS – 10AM-1PM

Lyngdorf TDAi2170 with RoomPerfect £2,800
Arcam SR250 with Dirac £2,500
Denon Receiver with Audyssey? £3,000
Lyngdorf TDAi3400 with RoomPerfect £5,000

I’ll aim to use some good quality floor standing speakers for these demos and then show the same amplifier with a very good sub/sat system for people to assess the performance and value for money of both options.

If possible, I would like to also show Trinnov if anyone can bring a unit and help with set up?

SURROUND DEMS 2PM-5PM

Denon Receiver with Audyssey £3,000
Denon Receiver with Lyngdorf TDAi2170 with RoomPerfect £5,800
Lyngdorf MP50 + SDA2400 + in wall 150s- untreated room £22,000
Lyngdorf MP50 + SDA2400 + in wall 300s- treated room £24,000
Steinway Lyngdorf system – with speakers and sub untreated room £80k

This is less a test of the different room correction systems and more of an upgrade path between different surround systems. Sorry I can offer all the options people would want to hear.....

If you would like to come, please post here so I have an idea of numbers for catering etc.

Rob

The food is usually pretty good and its nice to share tales from the battlefield with other AV victims. If you just fancy hearing film and music crazy good, you'd be very welcome.... I think anyone who has this as a hobby would find it useful and fun and hopefully it will also help you avoid making expensive mistakes.

Bloody hell. Really? Were you one of my early victims? How cool was that place? Did you come to any of the parties?

Hey, Steve, really glad you can make it......and thanks a mill for your help recently, bridging my gap on other products etc.

I've got some top stories of the Zebra parties that cant be aired here.....

Bloody hell. Really? Were you one of my early victims? How cool was that place? Did you come to any of the parties?
Oh yes........laserdisc days. I can still see walking into the room...wow. I loved it....what happened to all the boys? Well some i know ....ahem

Actually, you’re to blame for me being skint...i may sue you....

Last edited:
I hope shops can start to do A/B comparisons like this between say Dirac, ARC and Audyssey.

Often the biggest benefit of one Receiver over another at a similar price is the room correction and so this would be really useful for buyers.

I’ve had a couple of clients here today for dems and one thing that really impressed both if just how close the systems sound to a good pair of professional headphones.

If the system is accurate the two should sound very similar.

Is such a quick, simple demonstration that this will be something I’ll offer on all the systems on the Forum Day.

Please do try this at home and with other systems………..

Very interested. I’ll definitely make the effort to head over again :thumbsup:

Ohhh very tempted by this Rob if there's room and not been down to yours for a while!

:clap::clap:

Hi Rob I'm sure I've mentioned it on some other thread but please put me down as well as this sounds good.

Hi Lester

Great, I'm glad you'll be coming along. Room correction has such a hug impact on sound quality that it really warrants the type of direct A/B comparisons we will be doing.

Everyone who visits can hear a stereo system corrected with RoomPerfect compared to the sound of professional headphones. The two sound so close to each other its remarkable andI dont know any way of achieving this except with RoomPerfect........but lets see how Dirac etc. work?

R

I would love to come for the day if there is still room??

Hi All

Sorry I’ve been silent…. lots of crazy big projects going on.

I’m really looking forward to our meet on Sunday 28th and the shoot-out between room correction systems. If you have any speakers or devices with room correction you think should be included, please let me know……..the more the merrier.

FYI I’ve been approached by a company who are already installing commercial cinema equipment in their hotels and are looking for something better.

If you want something that sounds like a commercial cinema, buy commercial cinema equipment, if you want a system that sound like the live event, please do you research and check out other options!

I am looking forward to it.

Rob can you say which films you will be demoing and I can familiarise myself with these at home ?

Best Adrian

Hi Adrian

My aim was to show how important room correction is for stereo use.

If you listen to a good recording of a piano and turn RoomPerfect on/off you'll immediately get how much your room is screwing up the sound of your system in the mid and high frequency.

So I just want everyone to hear the start of this track with RoomPerfect on/off on each system

Talk, Talk – The Colour of Spring - 30 seconds will do it... its that obvious

With multi channel systems the right bass management and room correction is even more important. Ideally the speakers and room should start to disappear.......

I have four surround systems with RoomPerfect and these some of my current favourites dems:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Unbroken
Dolby Atmos dem disc – Les Saisons
Man of Steel
House of the Flying Daggers
Yello, Live in Berlin
Bladerunner 2049
Overlord

R

Question for the panel.....

As I want to demonstrate the benefits of room correction in a stereo, do you want to hear floor standers or would a really good sub /sat system illustrate the point?

Hi all im interested in joining everyone but I get charged for mileage on my company van I'm in South London near Catford I could drive and meet another forum member within reasonable distance from me if I could get lift

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom