Question FreeSat and Freeview on LG B8 - need advise for sharing signal via Return to Bedroom TV

OHled

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need some help as really new to all this. I live in a flat with a communal dish (mainly used for SKY) and an antenna.
In my lounge I have a quad TV/FM/SATx2/LAN/RETURN wall plate from Schneider. In the bedroom there is a single one with a female coaxial entry.
Just purchased a used LG tv for the bedroom. In the lounge I use the B8. I have found out that I need to connect a feed to the return coax male socket on the wall plate in the lounge in order to make the bedroom tv work.
What I need to achieve: I want Freesat and Freeview on the lounge TV and only Freeview in the bedroom (TV has only got Sat tunner not freesat)
I tested the following:
- Connected the FM radio port to return in living room - Bedroom tv picked up just a few freeview channels
- Connected the Sat1 socket to the return - Bedroom picked up all freeview channels
- Connected the Sat2 socket to return - Only got most of the channels on freeview but without the HD channels
- Connected the TV socket to return - All freeview channels were available on the bedroom TV.

If I connect a cable to the TV socket and then come into the SAT entry on the back of the TV - there is no signal so looks like TV is exclusive for TV signal.

Now that I know that I have to feed the Return socket I am not sure exactly how to do it:

Should I
- Buy a compact TV splitter that plugs straight into the TV socket (or are the screw F-type better) = then connect 2 coaxial cables - one to the LG B8 and one in the Return socket . For SAT in lounge use a direct cable from SAT1 to TV
or
- Buy a compact / regular F-type splitter - connect it to the SAT1 female socket = then connect 2 coaxial cables - one to the LG and one to the return socket. For Freeview a coax cable direct from wall plate to TV

Also, since I have to do this shopping, should I buy new better cables like WF100 Webro? I have 2 cheap cables of the like of Poundshop but signal strength and quality is most of the time 100/100 and being a communal service I can't tell what quality cables have been used anyway.

Sory for the verbose post. Hope that I can learn a bit to shop properly.

If you have a terrestrial TV in the bedroom, you need to feed it with a terrestrial TV signal. Unsurprisingly, you found this to be the best option. All the other 'working' combinations that you tried were 'working' by random pick up on the coax.

Providing the signal strength is high enough *and it is very likely to be from a communal system), you need a splitter with it's input connected to the TV output of the wall plate and one of the outputs to the TV and the other to the Return to feed the other TV.

The Sat feed is, and should remain, entirely independent and connected directly to the Sat input on the TV.

I agree with TJT1 and your own suggestion:
Buy a compact TV splitter that plugs straight into the TV socket <snip> then connect 2 coaxial cables - one to the LG B8 and one in the Return socket
Triax made a special splitter/cable for this purpose with their equivalant wallplate TRIAX - Outlet Link - 304139

NB any passive splitter loses a bit over half the signal to both TVs connected. If you find the bedroom TV doesn't get all channels then come back for advice on selecting a powered splitter (low gain).

Cables: No need to replace the cheap ones unless they give problems once connected up correctly as described. {I suspect that the SAT2 to return result was from direct UHF transmitter pickup on the cabling - so a fairly strong signal location.}

Thank you so much!
There are 2 types of splitterss on ebay. Could you please advise which is best? What should I be looking for to ensure the highest signal quality?

T type (coax female or male - no screw) which plugs directly into the wall plate Like this
F type female to use with F male plugs like this - what range is best? this one has 5 -2450 Mhz

Also, considering that the SAT and TV signals are from a communal system (probably using boosters) do I need to buy higher quality 75Ohm coax cables like Webro to replace my low quality shop bought coax cables?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I agree with TJT1 and your own suggestion:

Triax made a special splitter/cable for this purpose with their equivalant wallplate TRIAX - Outlet Link - 304139

NB any passive splitter loses a bit over half the signal to both TVs connected. If you find the bedroom TV doesn't get all channels then come back for advice on selecting a powered splitter (low gain).

Cables: No need to replace the cheap ones unless they give problems once connected up correctly as described. {I suspect that the SAT2 to return result was from direct UHF transmitter pickup on the cabling - so a fairly strong signal location.}
Thank you, just seen your post now.
I have that small white cable (one male F plug in one end and one Male coax on the other)
Problem is I don't have a coupler (I would need Female Coax to F screw female) - My tv wall port is standard coax male.

is the range 5 - 862Mhz complete for Freeview? I see cheaper splitters with higher advertised range.

For a splitter to work do I have to respect the IN and OUTs or it can work in any other way?

Last edited:
The 'best type of splitter is one that is metal clad with F type connectors, then use F type to Belling Lee (TV) on the ends of the coaxes as required . However a metal one with Belling lee connectors would be second best and likely much easier to fit.
For a splitter to work do I have to respect the IN and OUTs or it can work in any other way?
Why would you want to? But the answer is 'it depends' both on the type of splitter and whether or not it has to include a DC pass.

Currently UHF TV (Freeview) highest frequency is on CH 56 which is 754 MHz Sometime soon to be limited to 700MHz (to allow the Chinese to spy on us with their 5G telephone stuff. :rotfl: )

You MUST respect the IN and OUTs! It's essential.

(It will work with the aerial connected to one out to the IN connection but you get nothing from the other out connection - by design).

UHF TV is from 400 to 700 MHz at present - but ones going over 1000MHz will work fine too. Labgear 19132R/S 2 Way Metal T-Splitter would be a typical example of one that is all metal (better screened) that should fit the Schneider wallplate Schneider Electric Lisse 2-Gang Quadruplex Multimedia Socket White with White Inserts UHF TV out OK

SAT1 goes direct to the Main room TV's freesat input. SAT 2 is intended for use (along with SAT1 to feed a PVR - like a $ky box or Humax freesat brecorder).

It's perhaps possible but very difficult to get both Sat and UHF TV feeds to the bedroom via the return cable. Stick with just UHF TV there is my recommendation!

NB The Triax kit is designed to plug the box INput into the UHF out and has an out socket, for the main TV lead to plug in, on it. The flexi cable with f-plug is another out that then goes to the Return on the wallplate (using the supplied adaptor) to supply the bedroom. {In the manual for it Triax use the male and female terminology with the 'wrong gender' cf that most of us would use, I think.}

You MUST respect the IN and OUTs! It's essential.

(It will work with the aerial connected to one out to the IN connection but you get nothing from the other out connection - by design).

UHF TV is from 400 to 700 MHz at present - but ones going over 1000MHz will work fine too. Labgear 19132R/S 2 Way Metal T-Splitter would be a typical example of one that is all metal (better screened) that should fit the Schneider wallplate Schneider Electric Lisse 2-Gang Quadruplex Multimedia Socket White with White Inserts UHF TV out OK

SAT1 goes direct to the Main room TV's freesat input. SAT 2 is intended for use (along with SAT1 to feed a PVR - like a $ky box or Humax freesat brecorder).

It's perhaps possible but very difficult to get both Sat and UHF TV feeds to the bedroom via the return cable. Stick with just UHF TV there is my recommendation!

NB The Triax kit is designed to plug the box INput into the UHF out and has an out socket, for the main TV lead to plug in, on it. The flexi cable with f-plug is another out that then goes to the Return on the wallplate (using the supplied adaptor) to supply the bedroom. {In the manual for it Triax use the male and female terminology with the 'wrong gender' cf that most of us would use, I think.}

Awesome - that Labgear has male IN and 2 x Female Coax out. Looks like I will have to use a Coax female - female coupler and plug it in the wall plate first or give myself more work and buy an F-type connection splitter. I also found a Webro satellite cable with F plugs fitted at desired length on ebay but it is white - Can I colour or tape a coax cable with black band? Just for it to blend on the back of the TV as it is visible from the side.

The 'best type of splitter is one that is metal clad with F type connectors, then use F type to Belling Lee (TV) on the ends of the coaxes as required . However a metal one with Belling lee connectors would be second best and likely much easier to fit.
Why would you want to? But the answer is 'it depends' both on the type of splitter and whether or not it has to include a DC pass.

Currently UHF TV (Freeview) highest frequency is on CH 56 which is 754 MHz Sometime soon to be limited to 700MHz (to allow the Chinese to spy on us with their 5G telephone stuff. :rotfl: )
Wish I could give 'Like' to replies. thank you as well! I always suffer of FOMO and most of the time I think of the best option not the easiest, but if you all say that the difference between an F-type and a coax type won't be seen, then I will just have to go with the easy way.

The metal TV plug/socket splitter is equally as good as the F-socket types.
Labgear TV splitter:
If you plug the input male into the UHF TV female then that gives two female outs:
The current TV cable you have goes in one.
Then a short male to female is needed to connect up to the Return panel-mounted male plug... Or a male to male and a twin socket 'joiner'.
Male to female leads were commonly used on VCRs, DVD-recorders and early set-top DTV boxes to 'loop through' to a TV set. You (or a relative nearby) may have one in a box of leads somewhere?

F-connector splitter:
It's easy enough to cut strip and fit TV and/or F-plugs on black WF100 (or an equivalent) cable as diy:
Consider buying stuff from them to support the information that Justin (the owner) is giving for free?

There's nothing to stop you wrapping black electrical adhesive tape around a white cable, though. Difficult to do really neatly.

To like, thank, agree etc.,. with another post hover the mouse over the blue circle with a thumb in it at the bottom (where the quote and reply buttons are) and you'll see the selection to choose from - hover on them for the meaning.

If you plug the input male into the UHF TV female then that gives two female outs:
That's the strange part here - the schneider on the wall has a male UHF TV coax rather than a female. i was also surprised. I could use a twin socket joiner as you call it. I also found similar splitters that have Female (Belling) IN and 2 x Male Coax but then I will need more joiners.

F-connector splitter:
It's easy enough to cut strip and fit TV and/or F-plugs on black WF100 (or an equivalent) cable as diy
I think I've done this 10 years ago, surely can do it now it's just a bigger shopping list. I'd need Belling (female) plug on one end and F screw on the other of a 50cm cable
then 2 additional cables
1x F-type screw to Female Coax to go into Return
1x F- type screw to Male coax to go into TV.

say even if the F type splitter would have less loss than the labgear one, the fact that it needs one additional cable (the 50cm one for IN) would make it equal in quality and performance? Also, I should avoid the splitters that have DC pass written on them, correct?

Regarding the colour of the Sat cable, yes, I will look into buying 1m of black cable then fitting the F plugs myself.

Double-enders or adaptors from F- to TV style are cheap enough but in packs of 10. Similarly with decent metal TV plugs and sockets.

F-plugs I'd recommend the large nut style (similar to if not the same as Justin ATV aerials supplies) PROception F-Plug CU/CU CT100 Cable

To be honest it's usually best to not fit splitters direct into wallplate outlet or receiver sockets to limit the wight being supported.

Get a couple of metres of cable minimum. No sharp bends with WF100 (the spec minimum is around 40-50mm radius).

Some places will sell items individually; but quality off eBay/Amazon can be very variable unless the brand and seller is known well. Cost out what Justin would charge for exactly what you need, perhaps?

That's the strange part here - the schneider on the wall has a male UHF TV coax rather than a female. i was also surprised.

That is the EU standard to differentiate TV from radio outlets. Most UK manufacturers get it wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom