Freesat picture quality ???

JimboSE

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Just a quick one if I may, I have the new Arris freesat 4K recorder box, so far I’m quite pleased with it but one issue is the varying picture quality, some channels look absolutely terrible and yet some look fantastic, for example NHK World the quality is superb yet The Horror Channel (one of my faves as I have a soft spot for rubbish cheesy horror films) is dreadful, I would say it’s even below sd looking if that’s possible.
Has anyone else who has this box noticed this, just wondering is all as I expect there is no fix for this.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

kindest Regards JimboSE aka James

I would say it’s even below sd looking if that’s possible.
Yes , its possible , the horror channel is low bitrate at 544 x 576 resolution in 16:9 format , one of the lowest quality stations there is.
Some channels just look awful , nothing you can do about it at all.

NHK World is in high definition.

The Horror channel is in standard definition.

There are about 18 high definition channels on freesat,the rest are in Standard definition.

There are about 18 high definition channels on freesat,the rest are in Standard definition.

That's strange, on my set up, I can count 21 Freesat HD channels

Vin Blanc

Only strange if you’re receiving from the same transmitter.

I receive Freesat from the Astra 2 satellite group located at 28.2° east of south.

Vin Blanc

That's strange, on my set up, I can count 21 Freesat HD channels

Vin Blanc
Must of added more then,I've not used freesat for a long time,as I have sky Q.

Forgive my ignorance, but it is my understanding that both Freesat and Sky are both received from Astra 2 at 28.2° E of S.

Vin Blanc

Is the Arris outputting at UHD resolution? If so it may be worth changing that to 1080 or even 576 and letting your TV upscale it. Could do a better job of it than the box

Forgive my ignorance, but it is my understanding that both Freesat and Sky are both received from Astra 2 at 28.2° E of S.
That ain't ignorance Vin, it's fact. I suspect that logi got his sats and views mixed up. And I make 18 about 21. But it depends on which HD channels Freesat chose (are paid for) to list on their EPG .

On Freesat, NHK World Japan (Channel 209 and the Horror channels (138 & 139) are in SD.

Thanks for your input TJTI, I thought he'd become confused ;) but had to be sure I was correct.

Vin Blanc

Last edited:

Vin Blanc

Correct but the number of channels (including HD) may vary slightly depending on post code. ITV-HD has several regions But you only get one of them depending on your postcode.

If you count different HD channels by logical channel numbers then you get 5 extra BBC-HD nation channels assuming you haven't deleted the duplicates in this block

972 BBC ONE HD (England)
973 BBC 1 Scot HD
974 Channel 4
975 Channel 4 + 1
976 BBC 1 Wales HD
977 ITV
978 BBC 1 NI HD

No doubt Sky-Q does much the same, ITV want you to watch the local ads.

If you have a Foxsat-HDR with the custom firmware you can in fact add them all to your epg. This considerably adds to the total HD channel count if you count each one as a seperate channel. At times they will show different content (especially local news an events). Logi was clearly in Freeview mode,

This if course does depend on the local transmitter.

Did you include this channel in your 21 ?

691 DAYSTAR TV HD

Last edited:
Many thanks GLT, Logi obviously was in Freeview mode. :laugh:

Back in the early 70's, when I lived on the island of Corsica, I began to notice that the warmer weather could have quite a strong an effect on the white nectar.

Or was it simply because we began sipping it earlier in the day? :D

Vin Blanc

I blame the heat.:(

I blame the heat.:(

The heat, the heat. Yesterday was :) , megahot here,,

Easy mistake to make, :) I have done same many times, (too many different platforms to manage at my age ;)

Is the Arris outputting at UHD resolution? If so it may be worth changing that to 1080 or even 576 and letting your TV upscale it. Could do a better job of it than the box

Upscaling cannot put back what you take away by downscaling to 576.

Hi GLT. Yes, Channel 691 Daystar HD is included in my total of 21.

Vin Blanc

The heat, the heat. Yesterday was :) , megahot here,,

Easy mistake to make, :) I have done same many times, (too many different platforms to manage at my age ;)
Unquote;

You gents and the rest of us, There was a time when I adored the heat, nowadays I just have to sit indoors with the electric fan running.

But as we used to say back in my National Service days - "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined!"

Vin Blanc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom