Freeview or Freesat

Steca

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope someone can help I have both aerial and sat disc.
Currently I have a Sky Q box and looking at getting rid and just have Freeview or Freesat.
Can anybody tell me what’s better?
Can you connect two boxes one upstairs and go into both recordings say like with sky mini box?
Thanks

If you go down the route of a Linux based satellite receiver you can connect them the same way your sky q is set up, you may need to replace the lnb on the dish and don’t expect anywhere near the functionality of a sky q. I’m not sure if any of the mainstream brands offer the ability to link boxes.

Impossible question to answer. Number of channels and reception for Freeview depends on your. location. Freevew-HD offers Channel 4-HD not available on Freesat-Kit. Freesat works most anywhere in the UK wilth a open view to to the SE, Also without knowing what TV you are using to view the pictures not a clue. If it's a 4K capable OLED then freesat gives slightly superior pictures

The obvious answer is use both if your TV has a sat;elite tuner.

A Frreview play pvr will offer more channels you cab record at the same time.

Simply not enough information given to even hazard a guess,

Thanks,
I have 65” LG C8 OLED.
I live near London so you say Freesat for the picture.
which one has the best ability to edit recorded programs.

I have both Freesat and Freeview and see no noticeable difference in the picture quality on my 4K LCD TV. I find Freeview “better“ simply because you get Channel 4 HD, which you don’t with Freesat (you can if you switch to non- Freesat mode on your box, but it’s quite frankly a pain in the proverbial to do so). However, I live in an area that has an occasional unreliable Freeview signal in certain atmospheric conditions, so I also use a Freesat box.
Another thing to consider is the availability of boxes, with far more Freeview ones being on the market. Currently there is only one Freesat box manufacturer being retailed and it still appears to be suffering from glitches several months after launch.
Linux boxes are not straight out of the box and require a fair bit of work to get them up and running. I have ditched mine as the wife found it complicated (for her) to use, especially setting up series recording.
Hope that helps.

I have both Freesat and Freeview and see no noticeable difference in the picture quality on my 4K LCD TV. I find Freeview “better“ simply because you get Channel 4 HD, which you don’t with Freesat (you can if you switch to non- Freesat mode on your box, but it’s quite frankly a pain in the proverbial to do so). However, I live in an area that has an occasional unreliable Freeview signal in certain atmospheric conditions, so I also use a Freesat box.
Another thing to consider is the availability of boxes, with far more Freeview ones being on the market. Currently there is only one Freesat box manufacturer being retailed and it still appears to be suffering from glitches several months after launch.
Linux boxes are not straight out of the box and require a fair bit of work to get them up and running. I have ditched mine as the wife found it complicated (for her) to use, especially setting up series recording.
Hope that helps.
Also, I am not aware of any box, Freesat or Freeview, which allows you to edit a recorded programme from the box itself.

Hi,
So you have to keep the whole program it maybe 3 hours long and you want to keep about 5 mins.
That will soon eat up all the space on the hard drive.

Use and enigma 2 box have multiple freesat and freeview tuners share it around the the house using firesticks or android boxes with kodi, job done

Hi,
So you have to keep the whole program it maybe 3 hours long and you want to keep about 5 mins.
That will soon eat up all the space on the hard drive.

There are some excellent mpeg video editors. That you can easily cut out adverts or just a few minutes of content provided the content is not encrypted.

Because the video is only recoded at cut points, Creating a new file takes seconds for a short clip or a few minutes for a long recording.

The best one is here.

Being a Android device there may be others are less user friendly. And yes once you have the clip ot the full movie you can burn it to a blu-ray blank assuming o coiurse you have a blu-ray usb burner.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom