Freeview TV signal through sky dish

Silverz1123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I've just moved in to a new build house and haven't been able to get the TV or sky to work.

I've spend the afternoon trying various things and finally I've got the TV to receive the freeview channels.

The way I have done this is by connecting coax to the faceplate for the sky wires and then plugging this to the TV's antenna port. Would it be the situation that a satellite dish can also be used as a standard Ariel and I'm just using the dish to receive Freeview?

I'm thinking there is possibly a cabling mixup behind the walls and the sky and Ariel connections are mixed up as I didn't think you could get standard TV from a sky dish.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

You probably want to be in the Digital TV section rather than the TV hardware section.

You can't receive satellite broadcasts using a terrestrial tuner, the frequency is different. ~11Ghz instead of ~600Mhz.

What makes you think that the faceplate is for the satellite dish wires? Is it marked satellite?

If it's just using the Satellite-style F-connectors then that's not unheard of, some people do use them for their terrestrial cabling. That's why you've been able to get the adapter to connect it up.

You probably want to be in the Digital TV section rather than the TV hardware section.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You can't receive satellite broadcasts using a terrestrial tuner, the frequency is different. ~11Ghz instead of ~600Mhz.

What makes you think that the faceplate is for the satellite dish wires? Is it marked satellite?

If it's just using the Satellite-style F-connectors then that's not unheard of, some people do use them for their terrestrial cabling. That's why you've been able to get the adapter to connect it up.

Sorry if it's in the wrong section, I'm new here. The faceplate is marked sat1 and sat2/return and there are separate also non functioning connections for a standard coax connection
Of course it's possible a generic faceplate has been used but I've been told there should be a working satellite connection. They do have the f connectors and I was only able to get any kind of TV signal by hacking 2 wires together.

Does the TV have a Freesat or satellite tuner ? Are you sure it's not the Freesat channels you're receiving ?

Fixed it, was wrongly wired as suspected.
Interestingly though is that I could get both Freeview (and no there is definitely no satellite tuner in the TV) and sky via the same cable.
Made it a nightmare to diagnose.

New build house: Ask developers for advice and rectification if needed.

Unusual for any wires to be connected to antennas (UHF aerial, satellite dish, FM/DAB aerials) - normally just left as coils in the loft.
Is this a communal (shared) antenna scheme?

SAT1, UHF TV, FM/DAB, SAT (or return to feed other rooms) outlet plates are filtered faceplates and the first three are carried on the single cable (being combined together) that SAT1 outputs on.
Sometimes on communal aerial systems for distribution laziness reason/simplicity the SAT2 is also a feed with all three sources on.

The "hack together" seems an odd description. Pictures?

Quite frequently semi-reliable reception can be made with 'direct cable pickup' of signals in areas close to a transmitter (high signal strength areas). THAT may be what you have achieved?

Talk to the developer / sales office for clarification?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom