Frequent Screen Resolution Changes

akwexavante

Novice Member
Reaction score
TV: Panasonic TX-42A400B
Freesat Receiver: Humax HB 1100S
Cable: HDMI
Not sure this is a TV, Receiver, Service or cable issue.

Occasionally (Fortnightly’ish) my TV screen goes black for a couple or three seconds after which a picture re-appears and in the top left it will indicate that the screen resolution has changed. It might do this just the once or several times within a minute.

Sometimes it settles itself, sometimes it doesn’t and I have to switch the TV and the receiver off for a minute or two then back on. Sometimes this resolves the problem and sometimes it doesn’t.

I’ve restored factory defaults and done a factory reset on both TV and receiver and the issue continues sporadically. Firmware versions are up to date.

Sometimes when I enter the receivers setup the screen resolution isn’t what it’s supposed to be, it’s been downgraded and I manually restore my preferred setting (1080p). Sometimes the resolution is set as low as 576i and I’m unable to change it! It won’t let me.

I normally have it set to 1080p and normally for days at a time and longer that’s perfect and all’s well. It doesn’t seem to matter what channel or program I’m watching, HD or not when the intermittent problem occurs.

Sometimes all I have to do is switch my HDMI cable away from port one to port two and it sorts itself. I tend to switch it back, don’t know why but I do!!!!!

My question is, why is this happening and what may be causing it? At the mo I’m thinking I may have a faulty / failing HDMI port or cable. This is my current angle of thought, I’m leaving the cable plugged into HDMI port two to see if the problem returns. It could be fortnight or longer before I know whether this approach is the right one, by which time I may of even forgotten about it. May suddenly think in 6 months “My problem hasn’t returned” or It could happen again this evening…….. Who knows. Intermittent problems are a pain in the )(*&(*.

My Humax Freesat box, connected to a Panasonic TV, behaves in a similar way, which is, I think, being negotiated. I see 16:9 50Hz and a black screen, then as the box wakes-up, 576i, then 1080p. I don’t see any other changes once the negotiations have taken place. Contrast that with the Humax Freesat box connected to my LG TV, no issues, 1080p from the offset.

Clem

Thank you, Clem, for your reply. I hadn't realized that the receiver and TV actually negotiate what the best resolution should be. I assumed they worked independently.

However, this doesn't happen when the box wakes up (Switched on) or when the TV is switched on.

With my setup it can happen at any time. The TV and the receiver can be on for a couple of hours then suddenly the problem occurs for no apparent reason.

Any suggestions, anybody?

That could be down to a fault in the receiver, a fault on the TV’s HDMI board, a dodgy cable, or a combination thereof. Start by changing HDMI port, then cable. Make sure that the firmware is up to date on all devices. Try a factory reset of both devices, but if problems persist after that you’ll need to swap out one of the devices to see if that helps. If a swap of receiver fixes it then you have your answer, but if not, then you have a TV fault.

Clem

This is the way I'm going with this but at the same time I was hoping to find out if anybody else had the same issue already. Looking as though this is not the case. At the mo I've swapped HDMI ports using the same cable for a while. May have to wait a few weeks to find out. If it is the HDMI port at fault i'll probably forget about it if the fault doesn't return.

I can now say that the problem seems to be happening with greater regularity. Having swapped out the HDMI cables I think I can safely say it's not the HDMI cables as the issue continues.

I can also say that it's now happening on both HDMI ports on the back of the TV.

So I think my next step is to either try the receiver on a different TV for a while or vice versa, try a different receiver on the same TV.

I can do both when I recover spare TV & Receiver from elsewhere over the weekend.

For now, I can switch to Freeview on the TV :( I'll miss some HD channels as my aerial is old, never mind.

I think that any device with HDMI capability would do. If the fault is on the TV then you’ll see something similar. My money is on the receiver, as it’s in control of setting the resolution that it wants. Good luck, fingers crossed that it’s not the TV!

Clem

TV: Panasonic TX-42A400B
Freesat Receiver: Humax HB 1100S
Cable: HDMI
Not sure this is a TV, Receiver, Service or cable issue.

Occasionally (Fortnightly’ish) my TV screen goes black for a couple or three seconds after which a picture re-appears and in the top left it will indicate that the screen resolution has changed. It might do this just the once or several times within a minute.

Sometimes it settles itself, sometimes it doesn’t and I have to switch the TV and the receiver off for a minute or two then back on. Sometimes this resolves the problem and sometimes it doesn’t.

I’ve restored factory defaults and done a factory reset on both TV and receiver and the issue continues sporadically. Firmware versions are up to date.

Sometimes when I enter the receivers setup the screen resolution isn’t what it’s supposed to be, it’s been downgraded and I manually restore my preferred setting (1080p). Sometimes the resolution is set as low as 576i and I’m unable to change it! It won’t let me.

I normally have it set to 1080p and normally for days at a time and longer that’s perfect and all’s well. It doesn’t seem to matter what channel or program I’m watching, HD or not when the intermittent problem occurs.

Sometimes all I have to do is switch my HDMI cable away from port one to port two and it sorts itself. I tend to switch it back, don’t know why but I do!!!!!

My question is, why is this happening and what may be causing it? At the mo I’m thinking I may have a faulty / failing HDMI port or cable. This is my current angle of thought, I’m leaving the cable plugged into HDMI port two to see if the problem returns. It could be fortnight or longer before I know whether this approach is the right one, by which time I may of even forgotten about it. May suddenly think in 6 months “My problem hasn’t returned” or It could happen again this evening…….. Who knows. Intermittent problems are a pain in the )(*&(*.

Try 1080i or a new HDMI cable and a different HDMi input on the TV. The issue is likely to be the resolution your TV reports to the box during the HDCP handshake,. If down to a dud cable or port or TV fault, that signals the TV cannot support 1080p, The box will move to a resolution that the TV supports it says to the box supplying the content..

Guessing you are looking at the wrong device, You should look to your TV not the box.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom