Front speak placement challenge please help

pookieman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

Please see my future home theatre room picture. So this is my new rec room being framed out. The picture illustrates where I plan to hang a AT screen, 1:2.35 ratio. The width of the wall there is 13ft from the door on the left to the wall on the right.

My original intention was to get 3 x klipsch floorstanding ones that will be sat on the ground in the room behind this one (mechanical room). I was going to cut holes in the dry wall and basically have them sitting behind the AT screen. They wouldn't be seen and the space they take up wouldn't matter as it's in a largish room behind.

Incidently the viewing distance from this screen is about 15ft. But what I've realised now the steps are in that there isn't quite the vertical space I was expecting. So I've illustrated with the dashed red line the speaker solution that might work namely the smaller R-610F Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch

So what I'm looking for is advice/options.

1. Should I consider getting the larger R-620F Floorstanding Speaker | Reference Series | Klipsch and placing them horizontally (seems like a bad idea) even if it's just one
2. Is it a bad idea to place the left/right/centre more in towards the centre of the screen, namely the middle 3 studs .. would that cause an adverse impact on the quality ( I am trying to get this right)
3. I could abandon this idea of having the speakers sitting in the room behind and create a full bafflewall cavity.. bit loathed to do that.. I didn't want to eat into the room just for the speakers
4. Do the speaker placement have to be very symetrical? Could say the right one be a bit more right without noticable impact?

Anything else I haven't considered?

Thank you

Attachments

• wall.png
    wall.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
I don't know if this matters (I feel like it should) ... but those l/r speakers don't seem to be in the same position on their relative sides of the screen ... am I seeing things?

You aren't seeing things, they aren't :D

because of the beam it's not going to be possible to put the right speaker in the symmetrical place unfortunately. Wondering how much actual impact this will have, noticable or not?

Have a look online for good quality low profile in wall speakers, you may have enough room to fit them in the correct position.

Have a look online for good quality low profile in wall speakers, you may have enough room to fit them in the correct position.

Thanks for your comment - when you say correct position - is there a reference somewhere online what that is? I read somewhere between 22 and 30 degrees of centre, does that sounds right?

The other consideration was height - I did some measuring of the family sitting on the couch and got listening height of 37 inches roughly and about 41 eye ball height. So based on the 1:2.35 ratio, the screen would be 13ft across and 5.5 feet high.

Based on my reading 1/3 of the screen should be at eyeball, so

41 inches minus ~21 inches (1/3 screen) so screen should start at around 20 inches from the ground. The ceiling is 8ft high so we should be good for the top of the screen.

I deviated from the sound query :laugh:.. at this screen location I can put the speaker behind the AT screen and have it hidden at around 37 inches for the main tweeter. I really wanted the floor standing speakers, the in walls are probably fine but I feel it's a compromise, so thinking how much of a noticable impact having them slightly non symmetrical would actually make.

At least the centre speaker will be in the right position..

Have a look at the Dolby website, there are diagrams showing placement guidelines.

The front 3 speakers should be at the same height, with the tweeters as close to ear level as possible.

There are almost always compromises to make when positioning speakers. I would rather have the front 3 speakers positioned correctly using in walls, than using floor standing speakers in the positions in your photo.

Have a look at this video.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom