Question Front speaker positioning

Crafty

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Going to wall mount some bookshelf speakers, can someone give a bit of guidance on the best positioning ?

I know rears should be at ear level or preferably just above, does this apply to the front ones too ? Or should I mount them somewhere in the 600-800mm range (typically the height of stands)?

Also, is it better to mount the fronts closer together (say 1.8m) apart and direct them straight or wider apart (say 2.5m) and angle them in a little ?

Thanks.

I would try and get the tweeters at seated ear height, that's pretty easy. More difficult is the distance apart as it is maybe not so simple as position A or B.

Do you have a centre?
What make and model speakers are they?
What are the room dimensions?
How far away is the MLP?

Important to get it right first time especially if you are going to drill holes in the wall. Some speaker makes like KEF do not require a substantial toe in. A wider position would be better if you have a centre. If you get brackets that have a good range of adjustments then it becomes easier to experiment with toe in.

Sorry, should have put more detail in the original post.

Q Acoustic 3020s with 3090 centre, using the QA mount which has a decent amount of left/right movement and also allows the speaker to be directed downwards.

Centre sits on the unit. Rears will also be wall mounted, 3-3.3m apart (equi-distant from MLP).

Room is 5x4, MLP across the 4m, so exact distance a little under that.

Thanks.

With a centre then go for the wider position definately. Just experiment with toe in to get the widest soundstage that you prefer then EQ the whole system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom