Answered Fuse Help

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just been moving my lounge around which involved the unplugging of several bits and bobs, 3 of which all use a black kettle lead.

WhT didn’t occur to me whilst chucking everything in a pile is that the cables have differing fuse ratings.

I’ve googled the manuals of the appliances but can’t seem to find an answer. This is where I hope someone with a bit of know how can help

Cambridge Audio cxa80
Kef R400b sub
AudioTechnica LP5

Ive got 2 x 5amp leads
1 x 10amp lead

Any helps matching up would be appreciated thanks

If I were to guess I’d say sub and amp 5 and turntable 10 but rather someone else back that up

If I were to guess
And I'd guess something else. But Google provides the device specs:

Turntable has 6 Watts power consumption so change 5 A fuse to 3 A - or even lower if you have one 1 A.

Kef sub has a 600 VA (VA is roughly equivalent to Watts) power consumption so 5 A would be my recommended fuse. (3 A would likely be OK, too but if driven hard the sub could take a bit more).

Amp is 750 Watts max and is the biggest power consumer but also 5A is sufficient (approx 1200 W continuous and even more short term). The 10 A would be on this one if you have no smaller fuses to fit.

The fuses are really to protect the cable rather than the connected device (which should have internal protection circuits and fuses).

And I'd guess something else. But Google provides the device specs:

Turntable has 6 Watts power consumption so change 5 A fuse to 3 A - or even lower if you have one 1 A.

Kef sub has a 600 VA (VA is roughly equivalent to Watts) power consumption so 5 A would be my recommended fuse. (3 A would likely be OK, too but if driven hard the sub could take a bit more).

Amp is 750 Watts max and is the biggest power consumer but also 5A is sufficient (approx 1200 W continuous and even more short term). The 10 A would be on this one if you have no smaller fuses to fit.

The fuses are really to protect the cable rather than the connected device (which should have internal protection circuits and fuses).
Top Man thanks for your help.

I actually rang Cambridge Audio and they confirmed what you’ve put above and informed me the 10amp cable would be for the cxa80.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom